severely in need of an english translation!

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Re: severely in need of an english translation!

Post by Ignatius » Thu May 02, 2019 11:08 pm

or2az wrote:A couple of little items here,

Screenshot_20190501-083951.jpg
Also, what is that little box above the 5-bam and the 8-dot telling me?

phpVP8dOGPM.jpg
phpFaYDnKPM.jpg

Thanks guys.
あなた Your
平均順位 average position is

月例会参加者 Montly championship player's
平均順位 average position is

安牌 Safe tile. There might be an option to turn it of if you want. try looking for 安牌表示 or something like that in the options section of the game (if there is such a section, that is).

As usual, I hope this helps you.
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Thu May 02, 2019 11:26 pm

安牌 (anpai) is a shorter form of 安全牌 (anzenpai).

In both your examples the indicated tile is totally safe to discard because the player to your left just discarded the same one.

That player can't win off it due to furiten and the other two can't either because of temporary furiten.

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:05 pm

Trying to explain some things.
Need help with this.
491B38B5-AB54-4D0A-8070-D2EBD66A8826.jpeg
491B38B5-AB54-4D0A-8070-D2EBD66A8826.jpeg (252.58 KiB) Viewed 13014 times

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:43 pm

It's a settings menu.

Top-left:

Picture rotation
- device tilt rotation
- fixed vertical picture
- fixed horizontal picture

Top-right:

Power conservation management
- normal mode
- power conservation mode

Bottom-left:

- Retry
- Suspend

Bottom-right:

Sound settings
- sound effects
- music

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:04 pm

Had this nice hand the other day and in addition to toi-toi and san ankou, i noticed the pungs were consecutive.
From my discussions a few years ago, I recalled this was an optional yaku called san renko.
I also remembered that one of my scoring apps actually counted this yaku so I thought I would plug it in just to take a look.
Screenshot_20190702-094109.jpg
Screenshot_20190702-094109.jpg (162.53 KiB) Viewed 12986 times
As expected, it counted the extra Han.
Being more experienced now, I wanted to see it in japanese rather than in english and I noticed there were 3 different buttons for the japanese language.
I chose the one which was more familiar to me as I recognized toi-toi and the dora tiles.
Screenshot_20190702-100137.jpg
Screenshot_20190702-100137.jpg (178.34 KiB) Viewed 12986 times
My question is (and it's about time), what is the difference between the 3 variations listed below and why and when is each used?
Screenshot_20190702-100219.jpg
Screenshot_20190702-100219.jpg (41.4 KiB) Viewed 12986 times
I guess this could be called "severely in need of an english explanation"

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:53 pm

I won a hand with three consecutive triplets in a video-game a few days ago (in Dots too). Took me half a second to figure out what combination/s I'd won with - the hand was closed so I had Pinfu and Iipeikou. Well, I suppose I had one and a half "Peikou"! (whatever they are) It's much less common than San Renkou, but if you counted those nine tiles as three identical sequences instead of three consecutive triplets, it would be the optional combination Iisou Sanshun (一色三順).

Only the first option is for Japanese. 日本 means "Japan" or literally "sun origin" (the land of the rising sun).

The other two options are for Chinese. 中文 is short for 中国文学 and the 中国 means "China" or "middle kingdom".

Those other characters aren't used together in Japanese but I eventually tracked them down...

繁體 is Traditional Chinese (Taiwan, Hong Kong, Macau) and 简体 is Simplified Chinese (China, Malaysia, Singapore).

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Post by Ignatius » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:55 am

Exactly.

I feel a bit sorry because I wasn't here to participate, I was on a trip to Spain for a few days, and this time I had no time to check the forum... Still I'm happy to see this thread as useful as ever.

It's so awesome...
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:15 am

Thanks guys, that explains it.
I forgot all about lisou sanshun being a rearrangement of san renkou so i went back 4 years to find it.
(along with some other good stuff and comments from the both of you)

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=53372&p=58391&hilit=Sanshun#p58390

Nostalgia from the good old days!

Tobiaux
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Tobiaux » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:09 am

Alright, time to plead for help with Touhou Mahjong! I'll start simple... thanks to Barticle I know the selected board is the 'standard rules' with no powers enabled at least. However wondering the specifics of the options below the board choice? My first guess was they might be # of rounds or other common toggle options from mahjong games.

The second line (counting board line as first) has two options that are preceded by a 4 and one preceded by 3.

Third line has only one other choice, which looks like: なし (none?)

Fourth line has three other choices: 1打 9x, 打 12x, or 1打 15x (x being a character I couldn't find. EDIT: Here's an example Image )
Attachments
pregame options.jpg
pregame options.jpg (170.57 KiB) Viewed 12590 times

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder

Post by Ignatius » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:36 am

Tobiaux wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:09 am
Alright, time to plead for help with Touhou Mahjong! I'll start simple... thanks to Barticle I know the selected board is the 'standard rules' with no powers enabled at least. However wondering the specifics of the options below the board choice? My first guess was they might be # of rounds or other common toggle options from mahjong games.

The second line (counting board line as first) has two options that are preceded by a 4 and one preceded by 3.

Third line has only one other choice, which looks like: なし (none?)

Fourth line has three other choices: 1打 9x, 打 12x, or 1打 15x (x being a character I couldn't find. EDIT: Here's an example Image )
Ok, here we go: First you'll have the left side with our user character and all, then I'll write about the right side.

Left Side: (White side, with the character picture.)

Top:

L button 使用キャラクター変更: Change you character

Middle:

卓ルール説明:Table Rules Explanation:

アリアリのもっとも一般的なルール。赤ドラ萬子、筒子、索子に1枚ずつ。能力常時使用不可。
配給原点25000、裏ドラ、カンドラ、カン裏ドラあり。

Here you have the most common Ari-Ari rules. 1 Akadora (red five) in each suit, Manzu (Characters), Pinzu (Circles) and Souzu (Bamboo). Special skills always disabled. Starting points 25.000, Uradora, Kandora and Kanuradora in play.

Down:

B button 戻る: Go Back.

Right side: (Red side.)

Top:

R button: クイックメニュー: Quick Menu

Middle:

対局室作成: Game room preparation

ルール(雀卓)選択 Rules (table) selection: 通常ルール Normal Rules

対戦人数: Number of players.4人打ち 東風戦 4 Players Tonpuusen (East Only)

能力あり・なし: Special skills (Yes / No) なし (No)

時間制限: Time Limit: 無制限 No Time limit、1打ち9秒 9 seconds per turn、12秒 12 seconds、15秒 15 seconds. (Some games have a fixed amount of second plus an extra amount that you can spend, I don't know if this game does it.)

Down:

Y button この設定で作成する: Create a Room with these settings

Tobiaux
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Tobiaux » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:11 pm

You are the bomb! Thanks very much. Since the rest of the main menus seem pretty self-explanatory and easy to figure out with their visual iconography, I guess the main things left that would need translating are the 12 boards which weren't featured on the official website and the 100 character powers. :shock: That'd be a pretty big project to undertake though, and I'm not in a hurry to try out the gimmick boards or explore the powers. (Though would be cool to try out sometime and I imagine there may be others curious what each character can do)

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder

Post by Ignatius » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:11 pm

Tobiaux wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:11 pm
You are the bomb! Thanks very much. Since the rest of the main menus seem pretty self-explanatory and easy to figure out with their visual iconography, I guess the main things left that would need translating are the 12 boards which weren't featured on the official website and the 100 character powers. :shock: That'd be a pretty big project to undertake though, and I'm not in a hurry to try out the gimmick boards or explore the powers. (Though would be cool to try out sometime and I imagine there may be others curious what each character can do)
Glad to hear you're happy. 12 tables and 100 (or more) character powers. That's... Interesting.

In any case, I'll do my best to help as much as I can, if you need me, that is. Of course, I have a life, a job, an all... So sometimes it will take some time. But I'll help.

Tobiaux
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Tobiaux » Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:36 pm

Ignatius wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:11 pm
In any case, I'll do my best to help as much as I can, if you need me, that is. Of course, I have a life, a job, an all... So sometimes it will take some time. But I'll help.
Definitely! Maybe I'll handpick a few of my more favorited characters and request in small batches. But first!

This "4" rule, it seems to include South round, but sometimes the match ends early and I'm unsure why (no players went into negative points or anything).

EDIT: May as well include the other "3" option too. I think I recognize the second half as East & South round?
Attachments
3rd rule.jpg
3rd rule.jpg (10.25 KiB) Viewed 12555 times
alt 4p rule.jpg
alt 4p rule.jpg (11.13 KiB) Viewed 12557 times

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:15 pm

The 4 line just specifies four players and 半荘戦 Hanchansen format (two-round east-south match).

It's probably something in the table rules or maybe someone's special ability. I've only seen it in a couple of games ever, but you can have an optional rule where the match ends early if one player achieves a very high score, like 50k, 60k or 70k. This would usually have a name like トップ打ち切り or maybe 天辺 or てっぺん.

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder

Post by Ignatius » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:23 pm

Barticle is on point, and the 3 players mode is East-South game.