Question about ryan peikou

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

FixxeR
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Question about ryan peikou

Post by FixxeR » Mon May 17, 2010 11:19 am

Heya,

I was wondering if ryan peikou stacks with iipeikou (3+1 han), a bit like shou sangen gets 2 han + 2 for yakuhais? 3 han isn't that great reward for such a difficult yaku, but it would make a lot more sense if it atleast stacks with iipeikou (of course there's pinfu etc. which helps, but it's still pretty low reward for such tight restrictions). Can't remember the last time I won with ryan peikou or what the score was, so I thought it would be better to make sure :)
Last edited by FixxeR on Mon May 17, 2010 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

chalwa
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Re: Question about ryan peikou

Post by chalwa » Mon May 17, 2010 11:26 am

It counts only as ryanpeikou, same way you dont add fan for honitsu when you have chinitsu. I also think it should be worth more, but its always 3fan.

Referee
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Referee » Mon May 17, 2010 1:14 pm

yeah, I agree it's low, should be at least 4 han, (or 2 han plus both ippeikou). If you have ryanpeikou you shouldn't be that far from honitsu (6 han total, haneman), or chinitsu (9 han total, baiman, beware of furiten). But I think ryanpeikou for the sake of ryanpeikou is under-rewarded.

b4k4ni04
Junior Reacher
Junior Reacher

Post by b4k4ni04 » Mon May 17, 2010 6:19 pm

Referee wrote:If you have ryanpeikou you shouldn't be that far from honitsu (6 han total, haneman), or chinitsu (9 han total, baiman, beware of furiten)
Not so, getting two of 6 tiles (or less, if they happen to overlap) in one suit is quite rare. You're more often going to have two iipeikou in differing suits. For how hard/rare this yaku is, it is certainly undervalued.

I consider this Yaku to be the "oldest sibling" of the Yaku's: iipeikou, chitoitsu, and ryanpeikou. For which you receive 1 han, 2 han, and 3 han, respectively. All require pairs of tiles, although two of them also require these pairs to be in sequence. None of these three stack, you only acquire more han as you satisfy the more difficult requirements.

Referee
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Referee » Mon May 17, 2010 8:04 pm

Of course, my bad. I shouldn't be posting when in a hurry. What would be fair? 4 han?

b4k4ni04
Junior Reacher
Junior Reacher

Post by b4k4ni04 » Mon May 17, 2010 10:56 pm

*shrugs* I don't really know, honestly I'm fine with it remaining at 3-han. It follows the pattern I mentioned in my previous post and iipeikou definitely belongs as a 1-han yaku considering what else you can match it with.

If you land tsumo, riichi, or pinfu, you're adding at least one han to the three. If you hit dora you're always grabbing at least two, more for ura or kan dora. There's no good way to add a form of exception rule that states that any ryanpeikou hand will always be given a mangan, as there are other yaku that can be added into the mix.

If you have a group of people you frequently play with, ask them their opinion on raising the han value of ryanpeikou. Personally I'm fine with it being three. You should be good enough of a player to acquire an extra han or two somehow to make the hand into a mangan. And if not, oh well 3-han are still better than one.
〜〜〜星空が最高の舞台/カラスたちカーカーと鳴くよ/いつも思うよ いつ寝てるんだろ〜〜〜 I'm sorry teh b4k4 is lost to GlDeMo please try again later *bzzt* 〜b4k4

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Re: Question about ryanpeikou

Post by or2az » Fri May 16, 2014 10:44 pm

No question here, just a post related to the above discussion from four years ago.
With a 1-crak and an after riichi 4-crak in my discards together with a couple of 2-craks in SOUTH's discards, NORTH tossed a seemingly safe 2-crak and that was what I needed for my 2nd ryanpeiko. (18,000 points as dealer with riichi, pinfu and 2 dora).
My first one took about 1400 games. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=53236&p=57006&hilit ... iko#p57006
This one occurred 600 games later:
phpSnkO6hPM.jpg
phpSnkO6hPM.jpg (23.88 KiB) Viewed 13752 times
phpN2bnQ0PM.jpg
phpN2bnQ0PM.jpg (33.78 KiB) Viewed 13752 times

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:13 am

Not much activity relating to ryanpeikou. I can understand why.
1300 games after my 2nd one (above), I finally got my 3rd. It was very similar looking and valued the same (menzen tsumo, 1 less dora).
I was wondering, not that I will ever get it, but can ryanpeiko be all in the same suit? (7 pairs do not allow duplicate pairs)
It would look very close to san ankou, or san kantsu, if rearranged. (and san renko, if allowed)
And wouldn't this be the same as Iisō Sanshun (triple chow) even allowing the 4th chow to be open and still get 3 han? (I think)
phpvTXJSyPM.jpg
phpvTXJSyPM.jpg (21.88 KiB) Viewed 13752 times
phpUaeBrePM.jpg
phpUaeBrePM.jpg (28.1 KiB) Viewed 13752 times

Senechal
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Senechal » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:28 am

Iisou sanjun is a fantasy yaku that only exists in 1P computer games nowadays.

Yes, you can have ryanpeikou and chinitsu, and you can have 4 of the same tile, because your hand has 4 runs and a pair, not "7 different pairs".

mrfeng
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by mrfeng » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:54 pm

The reason why ryanpeikou is 3 han is because it is easily stacked with pinfu and tanyao. a haneman is not difficult with riichi and tsumo. even without hitting ryanpeikou, getting riichi tsumo pinfu tanyao iipeikou is big enough. With this kind of hand, just because you happen to draw the winning tile that gives ryanpeikou, do you think it is a bit unbalanced to award another extra 3han instead of 2?

We shouldn't judge a yaku's value by its rarity or difficulty but the balance it provides in the game. Just like Sanshoku doukou how is extremely difficult to achieve but if achieved, it is usually combined with toitoi which potentially can combined with yakuhai or tanyao or sanankou to give an easy Mangan. Therefore, 2 han for sanshoku doukou is sufficient as well.

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:48 pm

Sounds good to me. I have no problem with ryanpeiko being worth 3 han. I've gotten 7 han in each of my three winning ryanpeiko hands.
As for those player posts from almost 5 years ago, I'm not so sure they care anymore.

Kyuu
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Kyuu » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:46 am

Damaten tanyao + ryanpeikou, with kanchan (or tanki). This is already mangan.

Referee
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Referee » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:22 am

Correct. By ron 32/4 is mangan, by tsumo it is 22/5 which is also mangan.

With ryanmen it is also mangan, because pinfu, but you need to hit the right side. :)

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:03 pm

Hey or2az, in reference to your post above from Jan 8th, you were wondering if ryanpeiko could be in the same suit and, if rearranged, that it would look like san ankou, san kantsu, or san renko (if allowed). Well, guess what. One of the bots just tsumoed that hand against me and it didn't look a bit like any of those things. What were you thinking?
php4EBuB4PM.jpg
php4EBuB4PM.jpg (23.25 KiB) Viewed 13484 times
phpeW5XZgPM.jpg
phpeW5XZgPM.jpg (24.5 KiB) Viewed 13484 times
And if that wasn't enough, in the 2nd hand, a different bot got a saki kan/rinshan kaihou on me (oya this time, unfortunately), and instantly, I'm down by 14,000 to each of the two leaders. Had no time to recuperate since the other loser bot got bankrupted by a dealer haneman (not mine) two turns later.
phpvAoNglPM.jpg
phpvAoNglPM.jpg (22.96 KiB) Viewed 13484 times
How do they manage to come up with these hands? I seem to be in a constant battle with these monsters. I wonder if they have superpowers. Just kidding.
This was NOT a very pleasant hanchan but at least it was over quick. On to the next one.