severely in need of an english translation!

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re: severely in need of an english translation!

Post by Barticle » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:59 pm

I meant to credit my source - Tangorin.com is the only online dictionary I use. It's a great resource.

I typically use it in conjunction with a printed kanji dictionary and sometimes a Nintendo DS dictionary cart.

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Post by Ignatius » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:41 pm

Yeah Tangorin is very good, as is Denshi Jisho. Some printed kanji dictionaries are very good too. Which DS cartridge you use "Kanji sono mama rakubiki jiten", or other?
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:32 am

Ignatius wrote:[...]Which DS cartridge you use "Kanji sono mama rakubiki jiten", or other?
Yup, that one. The touchscreen input for kanji is really handy. Although the software is made for the Japanese market it does have a Japanese-English translation mode.

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Mon May 19, 2014 3:49 am

This is from the Mahjong Tengokuhai app, the original post on this thread 7 pages back.
Need some help with the translation. Thanks.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (22.38 KiB) Viewed 12961 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (22.64 KiB) Viewed 12961 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (3.93 KiB) Viewed 12961 times

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Post by Ignatius » Mon May 19, 2014 2:14 pm

八極仙の最後の一人に打ち勝ちました!戦利品として「麻雀牌・紫」を獲得ぢました!
You defeated the last one of the Hakkyokusen (Eight Extremities Hermits)! As a booty you´ll acquire The Murasaki (purpe or violet) Mahjong Tiles!

11人抜き!
勝ち抜きおめでとうございます。
引き続き次の挑戦者と対戦しますか?
You´ve beaten 11 people in succession!
Cogratulations for winning through them all.
Next, do you want to play against the challenger who won without a break?

I suppose this should be (Do you want to play against The Undefeated Challenger? ) looks more natural to me.

獲得称号 Acquired Titles.
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Mon May 19, 2014 11:26 pm

Well, that was interesting. There are over 400 of those titles to be acquired. No need to pursue that any furthur.
How about a few from the statistics page. I'm familiar with some of the symbols but the words are so similar that I'm having trouble figuring them out.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (66.86 KiB) Viewed 12948 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (55.96 KiB) Viewed 12948 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (10.67 KiB) Viewed 12948 times

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder

Post by Ignatius » Tue May 20, 2014 8:28 am

1st:

最高勝ち抜き人数:Higest number of people defeated in a row.

連続1位回数:Consecutive times of 1st position.

連続ラス無し回数:Number of consecutive games without being last.

終了時最高素点(一局):Higest cumulative points (one round game).

終了時最高素点(東風):Higest cumulative points (Tonpuusen (east only) game).

終了時最高素点(半荘):Higest cumulative points (Hanchan (East-south) game).

連続和了回数:Number of consecutive wins.

連続無放銃回数:Number of consecutive times without discarding another player´s winning tile.

2nd:

飛ばし率: Busting (lower than zero points) ratio.

L飛ばし回数:Number of L-busting. Sorry but I do not know what L飛ばし is...

L飛ばし人数:number of people made L-busted.

平均ドラ枚数:Average number of Dora.

平均裏ドラ枚数: Average number of Ura-Dora.

最大ドラ枚数:Biggest number of Dora accumulated.

平均連荘数:Average Renchan number.

最大連荘数:Biggest Renchan number.

3rd:

浮き系 Fishing (stealing tiles) group

累計浮き回数: Cumulative total of tiles fished.

平均浮き率:Average ratio of fishing.

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Thu May 22, 2014 1:39 am

The 3rd image above is really bugging me. I have played 10 games on this app. Cumulative total of tiles fished is 7 and obviously, the average ratio of fishing is 70%. I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT FISHING IS, 7 TIMES IN 10 MATCHES (93 hands) AND THAT IS CUMULATIVE???
Another thing I cant figure out is below. It is a listing of all the yaku and how many times they have occurred but the % is not based on winning hands.
Mathematically, it is based on something else and I can't figure out what. I think it has something to do with the total number of yaku but the numbers don't seem to work out. Maybe a translation will help.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (4.22 KiB) Viewed 12932 times

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder

Post by Ignatius » Thu May 22, 2014 2:52 am

or2az wrote:The 3rd image above is really bugging me. I have played 10 games on this app. Cumulative total of tiles fished is 7 and obviously, the average ratio of fishing is 70%. I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT FISHING IS, 7 TIMES IN 10 MATCHES (93 hands) AND THAT IS CUMULATIVE???
Another thing I cant figure out is below. It is a listing of all the yaku and how many times they have occurred but the % is not based on winning hands.
Mathematically, it is based on something else and I can't figure out what. I think it has something to do with the total number of yaku but the numbers don't seem to work out. Maybe a translation will help.
Fishing is a way to name the act of calling tiles, stealing tiles from other players, eating tiles, etc. You can name this act as you wish. So the cumulative is the total amount of called tiles. The average should be the ratio of tiles called per match.

I don´t want to sound like a know-it-all. I swear! :oops:

和了役一覧: Winning Yaku List.

Show your Winning yaku list, and let´s see if we can figure out what happens. Maybe in that list is written something more, about how it works...

If the game manual (I recall I´ve translated some explanation pages) has a section about this Winning Yaku List I would like to see it and understand how it works.

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Thu May 22, 2014 7:05 am

Ok, I figured out how the yaku listing percentage works. It IS based on the total number of yaku attained in the hands that you win. What I forgot to do is subtract the number of dora. I was counting the total HAN instead of the total YAKU.
Now for that fishing problem.
I have played 106 hands in 11 matches.
55.66% (or 59 hands) were open hands of which I won 35.59% (or 21 of them).
Now in 59 open hands, I had to steal at least 59 tiles plus a lot more.
That's why I can't make sense of the 2nd image.
(notice that 72.73% is the fraction 8/11 and 11 just happens to be the number of matches played so I did something 8 times in the 11 matches, but what, I don't know.)
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (23.14 KiB) Viewed 12926 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (22.07 KiB) Viewed 12926 times

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder

Post by Ignatius » Thu May 22, 2014 3:07 pm

副露系 Calling tiles to make melds (not to win)´s group.

副露率:Calling percentage.

副露時和了率: "Winning when you called tiles previously" percentage.

浮き系 Fishing (stealing tiles) group. I think this refers to tiles called to win as Furo 副露 which are the tiles that are used for the calls to make melds, but not to win.

Looks like in mahjong 浮き refers too to tiles isolated in a hand, and also is a term used in Binta rule, meaning how many people swam ¿? Looks like the one(s) who swim obtains points. Like the concept: Sink or swim. But I don´t undertand this rule properly...
Last edited by Ignatius on Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Thu May 22, 2014 6:33 pm

In traditional English mahjong terminology a player who is "fishing" has a ready hand (Tenpai) but the Japanese term 浮き (it denotes floating or rising to the surface) means finishing with a positive final score - a profit after the buy-in (e.g. 30k).

One of the many Uma settings in the PS3 game Mahjong Haoh: Dankyuu Battle 3 is a floating option which works like this:
  • If one player is positive the Uma is +30,-5,-10,-15
  • If two players are positive the Uma is +20,+10,-10,-20
  • If three players are positive the Uma is +15,+10,+5,-30
I think Binta is usually based on whether players finish with more or less than their starting score (e.g. 25k) but it's a similar principle.

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder

Post by Ignatius » Thu May 22, 2014 6:44 pm

Wow, thanks Barticle!

Thanks for your explanations. It was helpful.

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Thu May 22, 2014 8:26 pm

Yes, that definition would make sense. I suppose that the "thing" I did 8 times in 11 matches could be finishing with a positive score.
That would mean that the 3 matches I lost, (placing 2nd,3rd, and 4th), that I had a negative score. I'm not so sure about that. It is possible to have a positive score even if you place 2nd or 3rd, especially 2nd.
I will keep my eye on that in the next few games to see if that is the case.

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:57 pm

Found these at a garage sale for a dollar.
They can stack......or not.....just like yaku.
Not sure what I will do with them but I would like to know what it says.
I think it's Chinese.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (161.11 KiB) Viewed 12774 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (94.03 KiB) Viewed 12774 times