MFC PSP guide now up

http://www.konami.jp/mfc/

Moderator: Shirluban

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

MFC PSP guide now up

Post by Barticle » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:24 pm

So I finally got myself a Sony PSP. I realise I'm a little late to the party - the platform is ten years old and the European PSP download store was actually discontinued several months ago (although it's still possible to buy content via the website or through a PS3).

Naturally I headed straight for a reliable franchise and grabbed myself a copy of Mahjong Fight Club. As anticipated, it offers the same excellent presentation, options and stats that I've come to expect from the series. The package is pretty similar to MFC PS3 but there are also options for local multiplayer, full match replays and a basic glossary.

My new guide for MFC PSP is now available from the link in my signature. I used the text of my previous MFC guides as a starting point but I gave it all quite a major overhaul. I now have text guides to MFC PS3, MFC DS and MFC PSP on GameFAQs along with a translation chart which gives a handy reference for much of the Japanese text in the games.

I have the first Saki game ready to play soon, but I don't know if I'll be getting many other PSP mahjong games. (I'm open to recommendations...!)

MahJongDude
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Re: MFC PSP guide now up

Post by MahJongDude » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:09 pm

Bart, can you transfer PSP save files from the MFC PSP to the PS3 version?

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:49 pm

I'd assume that the save files aren't compatible. Some games have a cross-play feature where you can upload your save to the cloud and download it to another device but I don't think MFC was made for that - there would be menu options if that was possible. The PSP allows remote play from the PS3 but very few PS3 games support that function - it's mainly for music, video and digital PS1 games.

I never got around to playing Saki Portable on PSP, mainly because someone else had already written a guide for it! :lol: Maybe one day. I did end up writing another five PSP guides though.

I should pick up a Vita sometime too... must be getting cheaper now.

MahJongDude
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by MahJongDude » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:53 pm

Well, Bart, I have Saki Zenkoku Hen and the Plus version, and I love those games, because using the girls with the supernatural abilities can make very easy Yakus, while MFC takes expert thinking and serious thought about what Yaku to make. I can translate Saki Zenkoku Hen and the Plus version right here if you want. :)

Also, the most amazing thing about Saki Zenkoku Hen is that you can put MP3s in Saki! I kid you not. I got a link to the post right here with pictures:

http://www.reachmahjong.com/en/forum/vi ... 18&t=53975

With this cool feature, I can put 1980s music and Cuphead tunes as game and round music, and WWE and NXT themes, including 80s hard rockers as Riichi music! :)

If you think the Saki thread is good, what title should I make it as?

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:04 pm

I saw your thread about adding custom MP3s - that's a neat feature.

When or if I ever get a Vita I'll be able to find my way around, plus I enjoy figuring things out myself and practising translations.

There's not a massive audience for Japanese mahjong game guides so I think the best attitude is to make them primarily for your own entertainment and satisfaction. Then if they happen to help someone in the future that's a bonus. :) A basic guide to the main menus and controls can be enough to get someone playing.

Your last title was fine, you want something clear like "Saki Zenkoku-Hen (Vita) Menu Translations" or "Saki Zenkoku-Hen (Vita) Basic Guide".

Remember when you attach images you can use the "place inline" button to insert them between paragraphs and you can use several posts if necessary.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:46 pm

My previous guide was specifically for the 2006 version of MFC PSP which includes 48 JPML pro players, Pro CPU Mode and a few extra features.

I've recently picked up the original 2004 PSP edition. It doesn't have the pros, but it does have a nice quiz mode that was removed for the 2006 game.

The quiz mode is good but only available in Japanese of course. The 2004 edition (red cover) also saves after every turn which makes it very slow, so the 2006 version (gold cover) is the better option if you have the choice.

I thought it'd only take a few minutes to adapt my existing guide into a separate one for the older game but there turned out to be dozens of subtle differences and it took a lot longer! :roll:

Anyways, it's finished now and available from GameFAQs as usual. (I have guides up for six mahjong games for PSP now.)