DS Fight Club Crib Sheet

http://www.konami.jp/mfc/

Moderator: Shirluban

wavemotion
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

DS Fight Club Crib Sheet

Post by wavemotion » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:12 pm

In case this is of interest to anyone... I tend to make up these little 1 page crib sheets so I can navigate the main areas of any Japanese video game I have. I try to keep it to a single page - sized slightly inside of the normal margins so I can trim and fold this to fit neatly into CD cases or DS cases.

Anyway, this is a single page sheet with the main menu navigation for DS Fight Club along with the overall game options and the 7 pages of rule selections (all rule selections are set to their defaults). You can download the PDF here.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re: DS Fight Club Crib Sheet

Post by Barticle » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:21 pm

That's a handy format for reference - after you zoom in! (I'm a fan of squeezing cribs onto a single page too.)

I guess if you wanted to refine it you could crop off the top screens and emu menus and then enlarge the annotated bottom screens. Maybe bung in a couple of headings.

Thanks for the credit btw.

wavemotion
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by wavemotion » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:03 pm

Barticle wrote:I guess if you wanted to refine it you could crop off the top screens and emu menus and then enlarge the annotated bottom screens. Maybe bung in a couple of headings.
If I thought it would get a lot of use, I would definitely do those fine suggestions. I tend to whip these out quickly and they get a lot of use in the first few weeks of playing a game while I get familiar with it - then it gets tucked into the game case and is used only to refresh my memory when I haven't played a game in a while. I suspect most people here know how to navigate Japanese menus better than I do :)

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:37 pm

wavemotion wrote:If I thought it would get a lot of use[...]
That is a key factor to consider. I soon realised from my GameFAQs hit-counts that I needed to be writing mahjong game guides primarily for my own satisfaction. If a few people benefit from them then that's a bonus.

Obviously outside the Far East, mahjong is a niche interest and the sub-set of people playing Japanese rules, on a certain console, with a certain video-game, is a whole stack of niches within niches... :|

PS Speaking of game guides, my minor update on my own MFC DS guide is now live with a couple of name-checks for you.

Shirluban

Post by Shirluban » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:51 pm

Barticle wrote:Obviously outside the Far East, mahjong is a niche interest and the sub-set of people playing Japanese rules, on a certain console, with a certain video-game, is a whole stack of niches within niches... :|
"Human subcultures are nested fractally. There's no bottom."
Cats don't do タンヤオ (tan-yao) but タニャーオ (ta-nya-o).
World Riichi Championship Rules 2022
Comparison of riichi rules around the world

wavemotion
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by wavemotion » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:51 pm

Barticle wrote:I soon realised from my GameFAQs hit-counts that I needed to be writing mahjong game guides primarily for my own satisfaction. If a few people benefit from them then that's a bonus.
I find them hugely helpful, for what it's worth!

I wrote a Puyo Puyo 20th Anniversary English Translation Guide and put my name and email in and asked anyone who got some use from it to email me and let me know it was worthwhile and to-date I've received exactly, let me check again, zero emails. Labors of love...

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:42 pm

Yay xkcd! :D I have a browser sub-folder for all my favourite xkcd strips.
wavemotion wrote:I find them hugely helpful, for what it's worth!
Cheers Dave. :) I know there's a few of you out there in the sub-niche!
I wrote a Puyo Puyo 20th Anniversary English Translation Guide and put my name and email in and asked anyone who got some use from it to email me and let me know it was worthwhile and to-date I've received exactly, let me check again, zero emails. Labors of love...
That's a nice-looking guide - good use of screenshots throughout. And so many smiley faces too!

GameFAQs does have an option for submitting a "formatted FAQ" using Wikipedia-style tags to apply text formatting and insert images but I kinda like working with the constraint of using good ol' fashioned plain-text.

As I noted in my competition thread, I recently broke the 250,000 mark on my guide hits (with the DS mahjong guides making up a small proportion of that figure) and I've only had contact from little more than a dozen people, mostly general queries about mahjong rules (which I freely invite). People use the internet to quickly find the information they need and then go about their business. I've been guilty of this myself, but I do try now to make the effort to send someone a quick message of thanks.