Mahjong Fight Club for Sony PS Vita

http://www.konami.jp/mfc/

Moderator: Shirluban

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Mahjong Fight Club for Sony PS Vita

Post by Barticle » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:00 pm

The Playstation Vita is Sony's successor to their PSP handheld with a 5" touchscreen, dual thumbsticks, dual cameras, motion sensors and quad-core processor. It'll be available in Japan from mid December 2011.

There's always at least one mahjong game for the launch of any new Japanese console and MFC has already been confirmed for the Vita.

This new trailer shows touchscreen controls, a magnifying-glass function, distracting animated wallpaper, multiplayer leagues, three-player mode, arcade interface, the obligatory yakuman and - briefly - our Jenn and Garthe. Also the word Shinsei (rebirth) has been added to the full title.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGIb9yAWGeE

(EDIT) added an index to useful posts in this thread...

o Menu translations
o Four-player rule options and defaults
o Three-player rule options and defaults
o PSN trophy requirements
Last edited by Barticle on Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:29 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re: Mahjong Fight Club for Sony PS Vita

Post by Barticle » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:42 am

Found a video from the Tokyo Game Show. The magnifying-glass zoom function is controlled by the touch-pad on the rear of the console.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zRSV82kP5s

(better luck next time! :lol:)

XFRod
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by XFRod » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:11 am

Hey, Bart! Finally, getting registered here on the Reach forums.... Yeesh.. Anyway, I JUST ordered MFC from play-asia about an hour ago. We don't even get the PS Vita here in the US until February 22nd but, I wanted to be ready for some riichi action on day one!

So, you going to be doing a strategy/translation guide for it?

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:32 am

Hey Rod, great to see you on here! :) Hope you'll stay to join the (occasional) chat.

I'm currently not planning on buying a Vita at the Euro/US launch (mid Feb). I could afford it and I like the functionality and design of the unit but I'd basically be buying it solely for MFC which seems a little extravagant...

I suspect the core menus, modes and rule options won't be too different to the PS3 and DS versions so it shouldn't be too tough to figure out. If you wanted to post screenshots (or, in the short term, scans of the manual) in this thread we could build a little guide for it covering the main menus, rules and gameplay options.

PS My first major gaming purchase of the new year will be a PS3 slim. My trusty phat model (bought at launch in 2007) finally got the dreaded YLOD yesterday! :cry: Wouldn't power-up or even eject the (rental!) game disc inside. Luckily I was able to get it running again using a hairdryer (thank you Youtube!) so I could retrieve the disc and run some back-ups. All the online mahjong games have copy-protected save files though :roll: but hopefully if I can pick up a slim somewhere today I'll be able to do a full transfer by linking the two machines. Fingers crossed!
Last edited by Barticle on Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:12 am

BTW Have you heard the news about Yakuza 5? Firstly, the game's been announced so it's good to know the series is still running. Also it'll have five separate cities! I wonder how many will have mahjong parlours? :)

That's a long way off now but at least we get the zombie shooter offshoot this year...

http://www.sega.co.uk/games/yakuza-dead-souls

XFRod
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by XFRod » Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:29 pm

Ouch, on the YLOD. That happened to my "fatty" about four months ago. Since all of my saves were on the PSN+ cloud drive, it was no problem to transfer them to the new PS3. The only thing I lost was the music files I had saved on there but, none of it was pirated stuff so, I just need to get the CD's out of the basement storage.

As for the MFC manual, I ordered the game from play-asia last night, I'm hoping it will be here around Friday. I'll go ahead and get some scans of the full manual to post here. I've actually been aggressively studying and taking some Japanese language courses (both written and spoken) so, while translating stuff is a slow process, it's great practice and fun for me. Although, I'll just post the scans immediately so, those with better skills can do it much quicker than I. :wink:

I've found a guy in Japan from an eBay transaction I had about six months ago. I picked up a WonderSwan and a few of its riichi games to add to my mahjong video collection. Anyway, he agreed to pick up the Kindai and, Original Kindai Mahjong manga that come out each month. That's three total. Those, the shipping, and his handling fee runs me about $55 US each month but, I've got more mahjong comics to plow through than I ever dreamed. The point is.. Since riichi has so many terms unique to itself, your PDF Riichi Guide has been almost a religious text for me lately.

So, have you ever thought of getting the thing formatted for sale as an eBook? I currently have the PDF on my Kindle Fire but, it's not really formatted for that purpose and, find myself adjusting the zoom levels on it, every time I turn the page. Just a thought.

-- Rodney --
Portland Mahjong Society

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:59 pm

The PS3 crisis is resolved now - was able to grab a cheap new slim in town on new year's day. My old phat stayed alive long enough for a full (and slooow!) transfer via ethernet cable. As you might've noticed, I only had Playstation Plus membership during the free trial after the big PSN outage. Their cloud back-up service is great but I resent having to pay for it!

If you wanna focus on scanning menus and options that'd be easier for me to translate, although there are others more capable here. If you number the pics in your posts that'd make it easier for reference. Ultimately you could even edit your posts to add the translation text.

Great to hear you're furthering your language skills. I only went far enough with Japanese to reach a stage where I could translate game text (slowly) using various resources in combination - the paper dictionary Kanji & Kana by Hadamitzky and Spahn, the online dictionary at http://tangorin.com and the electronic dictionary Kanji Sonomama Rakubiki Jiten for the Nintendo DS. I found My Japanese Coach for the DS to be a good learning tool too - the initial lessons were handy for learning kana. Both those DS carts make good use of the touchscreen interface.

Oh you have a WonderSwan too now? That's cool. Sounds like a good arrangement for the manga subscription too. As long as they're talking about the game, I find you can generally follow the action with a knowledge of only the "mahjong Japanese" words. I wonder if your connection could also get you some manga compilations, like the Akagi collections?

Glad to hear my mahjong PDF (advert in sig!) is still proving useful and that I've made it onto the Kindle, even if it's just yours. :) I'd not considered any formal publishing arrangement. I'm happy with the current hosting with the freedom to update it myself as required. I've never had any desire or expectation of making money off it, but if it was possible to get it into an e-book format with free software then I could look at converting it maybe.
Last edited by Barticle on Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:58 pm

Nice review of the Vita hardware today from my favourite gaming journalists (GameCentral now writing for free UK newspaper Metro).

http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/games/88634 ... ble-gaming

XFRod
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by XFRod » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:42 am

Okay, got the game in the mail today. Scans aren't that great but, they're readable. Pretty sparse manual, most of it is the standard "small print" stuff. I'll post the images of the two important chart pages. Also, I put the raw scans into a PDF and, the individual pages as jpg's, if you want to check out the whole thing. The other individual pages are on the Portland Mahjong Society's file page. Enjoy.

Image Image

Manual PDF:
http://files.meetup.com/1242156/Mahjong ... Manual.pdf

PMJS File Page:
http://www.meetup.com/pdx-mahjong/files/

----------
Rodney Varney
Portland Mahjong Society

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:29 pm

Glad your game arrived okay but sorry to see that the recent trend of shorter game manuals has spread to Japan. There's probably a more comprehensive manual in the game itself or online.

Okay, so the left page is for 4-player and the right is for 3-player. Obviously each row gives a rule name and its default setting. Rules are explained in more detail in my guides.

あり (ari) means a rule is applied, なし (nashi) means it isn't.

Four-Player Rules (left pic)

These are essentially identical to the Fight Club rule-set in the PS3 version.

Top-left box

1. Kuitan (open Tanyao) - ari
2. Kuikae (meld switching) - nashi
3. Ryan Han Shibari (2 Han minimum with five counters) - nashi
4. Agari Yame (dealer can chose to end match if they win final hand while leading on points) - ari
5. Multiple wins (double Ron) - ari
6. Triple Ron abortive draw - no draw
7. Buttobi (or Dobon - game ends early on bankruptcy) - ari

Middle-left box

1. Ura Dora (underside Dora) - all Dora types including Kan Ura Dora are applied
2. Number of red fives in dots suit = 2
3. Red fives in craks = 1
4. Red fives in bams = 1

Bottom-left box

1. Pinfu by Tsumo - ari
2. Riichi Ippatsu - ari
3. Nagashi Mangan (all terminal & honour discards in a draw) - worth Mangan
4. Dai Sharin Yakuman ("big wheels" - 22334455667788 in dots) - ari
5. Chuurenpoutou ("nine gates" Yakuman) limited to craks suit - nashi

Top-right box

1. starting scores in one-round match = 20k
2. starting scores in two-round match = 25k
3. Oka (bonus to winner based on 30k buy-in each) - nashi
4. Uma for 1st place = +5k
5. Uma for 2nd = 0
6. Uma for 3rd = 0
7. Uma for 4th = -5k

Middle-right box

1. Renchan (continuance) type - dealer win Renchan (on PS3 just says "win Renchan")
2. Tenpai without Yaku (in a draw a hand can still be considered Tenpai without any Yaku) - ari
3. No-ten Bappu (3000 pts shared on a draw) - ari
4. Abortive draw for all four players declaring Riichi - no draw
5. Abortive draw for four kongs (by two or more players) - draw then new hand played with new dealer
6. Abortive draw for four identical wind discards in first go-round - draw then new hand played with new dealer
7. Abortive draw for player declaring nine or more different terminals & honours in their starting hand - draw then new hand played with same dealer

Bottom-right box

1. Stacked/multiple Yakuman - ari (good luck!)
2. Counted Yakuman (for hand worth 13+ Han) - ari
3. Dai Suu Shii (big four winds) = double Yakuman
4. Suu Ankou Tanki Machi (four concealed pungs on pair wait) = double Yakuman
5. Kokushimusou Juusanmen Machi ("thirteen orphans" on 13-sided wait) = double Yakuman
6. Chuurenpoutou Kyuumen Machi ("nine gates" on 9-sided wait) = double Yakuman
Last edited by Barticle on Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:30 pm

Three-Player Rules (right pic)

These are mostly the same as above. As in the manual pages, differences are highlighted in magenta.

I can't use my MFC PS3 manual for reference and I've never played 3P so there is some educated guesswork. Some text is hard to read but I'm fairly confident with most of these, just can't make out the third one in the top-right box.

Top-left box

1. Chii - nashi (cannot call a tile to make a chow)
2. Craks suit - tiles numbered 2-8 are effectively removed before play

3. Kuitan (open Tanyao) - ari
4. Kuikae (meld switching) - nashi
5. Ryan Han Shibari (2 Han minimum with five counters) - nashi
6. Agari Yame (dealer can chose to end match if they win final hand while leading on points) - ari
7. Multiple wins (double Ron) - ari
(no triple Ron in 3P)
8. Buttobi (or Dobon - game ends early on bankruptcy) - ari

Middle-left box

1. Ura Dora (underside Dora) - all Dora types including Kan Ura Dora are applied
2. Number of red fives in dots suit = 2
3. Red fives in bams = 2
4. When a Dora indicator is 1 craks - Dora is 9 craks

Bottom-left box

1. Pinfu by Tsumo - ari
2. Riichi Ippatsu - ari
3. San Shoku Doujun (Yaku for three chows with same numbers in three suits) - nashi (can't make chows in craks)
4. Nagashi Mangan (all terminal & honour discards in a draw) - worth Mangan
5. Dai Sharin Yakuman ("big wheels" - 22334455667788 in dots) - ari
6. Chuurenpoutou ("nine gates" Yakuman) limited to craks suit - nashi (would be impossible otherwise)

Top-right box

1. starting scores = 25k
2. Tsumibou (counters placed on table after draw or dealer win) - worth 600 pts each on a subsequent win (instead of the normal 300)
3. (something about Tsumo wins ?? obviously there are only two payers instead of the normal three)

4. Oka (bonus to winner based on 30k buy-in each) - nashi
5. Uma for 1st place = +3k
6. Uma for 2nd = 0
7. Uma for 3rd = -3k
(no 4th place)

Middle-right box

1. Renchan (continuance) type - dealer win Renchan (on PS3 just says "win Rechan")
2. Tenpai without Yaku (in a draw a hand can still be considered Tenpai without any Yaku) - ari
3. No-ten Bappu (3000 pts shared on a draw) - ari
4. Abortive draw for all three players declaring Riichi - no draw
5. Abortive draw for four kongs (by two or more players) - draw then new hand played with new dealer
6. Abortive draw for identical wind discards in first go-round - nashi
7. Abortive draw for player declaring nine or more different terminals & honours in their starting hand - draw then new hand played with same dealer

Bottom-right box

1. Stacked/multiple Yakuman - ari (good luck!)
2. Counted Yakuman (for hand worth 13+ Han) - ari
3. Dai Suu Shii (big four winds) = double Yakuman
4. Suu Ankou Tanki Machi (four concealed pungs on pair wait) = double Yakuman
5. Kokushimusou Juusanmen Machi ("thirteen orphans" on 13-sided wait) = double Yakuman
6. Chuurenpoutou Kyuumen Machi ("nine gates" on 9-sided wait) = double Yakuman

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:39 pm

Just having a quick nose around the Japanese Playstation Store via my PS3 and found some MFC Vita downloadable content.

There are eight different tabletop backgrounds, two tile sets and eight "player panels" (which seem to change the art design on the pop-up frames that display your score in-game). You know, the sort of stuff that always used to be included for free before consoles went online and publishers started seeing dollar signs. :x These are mostly priced individually at 200 Yen *each*.

You can also download the game itself for 4,480 Yen.

However I've read that the Vita only allows one active PSN account and the online stores are region-locked so you'd need to be running your Vita with a Japanese account (and have Yen credit there) to be able to buy any of this. If you want to switch between accounts you need to reset the device to the factory presets each time!

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2011/12/sony-vita-psn/

Also I see that it uses a new format for physical games. It doesn't have a UMD slot so it won't be able to play PSP game discs (e.g. Saki). :|

On a more positive note, the Vita has a function that lets you take screenshots (where supported) which should help with doing translations.

http://manuals.playstation.net/document ... pture.html

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:24 pm

Have also learnt today that the Vita supports PSN trophies, just like the PS3 trophies system.

I found the MFC Vita trophies on this site - http://goo.gl/Dgnnj - and had a go at translating them below.

(This list includes several hidden trophies so minor spoilers I guess but obviously there's no storyline etc.)

Trophies Complete - platinum - collect all (other) trophies

Shijin Master Summons - silver - achieve Master rank [this is usually after completing allandgrades]
Kōryū Summons - hidden silver - enter the Kōryū (golden dragon) ranks [...and this would be immediately after Master]
Kōryū Level 10 - hidden silver - be promoted to Kōryū Level 10
Kōryū Level 20 - hidden gold - be promoted to Kōryū Level 20

Shijin Index 800 - hidden bronze - exceed 800 Four Gods index-number in your 50 most recent matches
Shijin Index 900 - hidden silver - exceed 900 Four Gods index-number in your 50 most recent matches
[this must be the stats display that rates your Attack, Defence, Speed and Luck each out of 250 and sums them]

Sanbaiman - silver - sanbaiman win (hand worth 11-12 han)
Baiman - bronze - baiman win (hand worth 8-10 han)
Haneman - bronze - haneman win (hand worth 6-7 han)
Mangan - bronze - mangan win (hand worth 5 han, 4 han 40+ fu or 3 han 70+ fu)
Yakuman - gold - yakuman (top limit hand)

Dora 4 - bronze - win with 4 dora
Dora 5 - hidden bronze - win with 5 dora
Dora 6 - hidden bronze - win with 6 dora
Dora 7 - hidden silver - win with 7 dora
Dora 8+ - hidden silver - win with 8+ dora
100 Dora Breakthrough - bronze - use a total of 100 dora (ad hoc matches not included)
200 Dora Breakthrough - silver - use a total of 200 dora (ad hoc matches not included)

Buttobashi - hidden bronze - bust other players a total of 10 times (ad hoc matches not included)
Buttobashi Double - hidden bronze - bust two players at the same time

50,000 Points - hidden bronze - finish with a score of 50k+ points
70,000 Points - hidden silver - finish with a score of 70k+ points

Consecutive Tops - hidden bronze - come top (1st) in five consecutive matches
Swift Attack - hidden bronze - win a hand within six go-rounds

Thunder 30 - bronze - win 30 hands accompanied by thunder (ad hoc matches not included)
Thunder 100 - gold - win 100 hands accompanied by thunder (ditto)
[I assume this means the on-screen thunder/lightning effect when you score any limit - mangan, haneman, etc]

GII Winner - silver - acquire GII [league?]
GIII Winner - bronze - acquire GIII [league?]

50 National Matches Breakthrough - bronze - play 50 online matches (hanchan - 2-round games)
100 National Matches Breakthrough - silver - play 100 online matches
200 National Matches Breakthrough - gold - play 200 online matches

Reverse Touch - hidden bronze - use the magnifier function controlled with the rear touchpad
Ron Throwdown - hidden bronze - declare a ron win using the tilt sensor
Tsumo Throwdown - hidden bronze - declare a tsumo win using the tilt sensor
Last edited by Barticle on Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:57 am, edited 3 times in total.

XFRod
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by XFRod » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:56 pm

I'll have the system in my hands on February 15th... I'll let you know if I can figure out any of the questionable ones after actually playing it.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:33 pm

Cool, that would be good. There's a couple of things that seem to be new additions since the PS3/DS versions.

The trophies webpage I was using has been updated so I've added the one description that was missing before - you need to get a rating of 900+. That'll probably take some time/luck; I once managed 928 on the PS3 but it soon dropped back down again!

I found this random pic which displays the Four Gods stats in another version of MFC. The four coloured rows show your "Luck" (Dora use rate), "Quickness" (average hand-win rate), "Attack" (average Han per win) and "Defence" (payment rate), each ranked out of 250; the top row shows the totals out of 1000. Left column is your most recent 50 matches (once you've played 50) and the right column is your full career. The graph plots the same data with each axis running from 0 to 250 - payment rate at the top, Dora use on the right, win rate at the bottom and average Han on the left. Cyan is most recent 50 matches, grey is all-time.

http://blog-imgs-14.fc2.com/k/o/k/kokuo ... 140640.jpg

The CI and CII things seem to be part of a system of leagues so I guess that explains the GII and GIII above.

The bottom graph obviously shows final placings in the player's last 30 matches. The skull means they got busted out. :P