ronron scoring != ELO

http://www.ron2.jp/

Moderator: Shirluban

clacker
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

ronron scoring != ELO

Post by clacker » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:16 am

I was hoping some other ronron players could back me up on this hypothesis: the scoring on ronron is NOT ELO.

I looked at 93 of my previous games and entered my change in ranking (between 1464 and 1401) and the number of points won per game (between 398 and -369). Now I certainly do not claim to have a have doctorate degree in computer science or pure math, but it seems to me that when I plot the two vs. each other I get an almost straight line (r=.9862, whatever that means). There is some variation from a straight line, but it is never more than 2 points.

If you play a game, when you finish and you take the points it shows you at the end (the ones between around 350 and -350, I do not know what they are called) and divide them by 32 do you get your change in ranking (your 1100-2500 number)? It looks a lot to me like that

350 to -350 score
------------------- = your change in rank

Can anyone else back this up? Is this only if you have been playing a while or in the same ranking range as me?

It looks to me like I can not depend on my score changing less whenI play better players than me but it is really hard to tell.

HotelFSR
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Re:ronron scoring != ELO

Post by HotelFSR » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:31 am

How high is your rank? I have a feeling the system doesn\'t start adjusting for relative ratings until you hit either the dan levels or are very close to it.

Certainly Tenhou and ToupaiOu do adjust, as is explained on their ranking pages (and in English on the Arcturus guide to Tenhou), and their numbers appear to correspond to Ron2 (start at 1500, high level players considered to be 1800+).

The formula is also different when you start playing in the 1800+ lobby. Other sites also have this distinction.

Given that Ron2 also has a matchmaking system for all levels, this creates and added dimension of players being matched up with more similar comparative skill.

deJENNerate
Mahjong Pro
Mahjong Pro

Post by deJENNerate » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:07 am

ok, I translated the rating FAQ
try this out while you\'re playing
Q: How does the rating system work?
A: Ratings rise and drop according to results of your games and mark your mahjong level.
This index starts to show after 20 games played anywhere but the Free Battle room.
Until then it will show as “- - - - -.”
The rating changes according to all games played outside of the Free Battle room.

The calculation of expected return is as follows:
(Ro*3-(R1+R2+R3))/100
Ro: Your rating before the game
R1-R3: Your opponents’ ratings

This expected return is compared with the actual score of the game. If you win much more than the expected return, then your rating will increase greatly and if you lose much more then your rating will drop greatly.
So a 60,000 point 1st place is much better than a 40,000 point 1st place.

HotelFSR
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by HotelFSR » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:14 am

Thanks Jenn! There you have it.

clacker
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by clacker » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:19 pm

Fantastic! I always wondered how it worked. Thanks for translating that!