Custom Rule of the Day: Nagashi Mangan

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Custom Rule of the Day: Nagashi Mangan

Post by Barticle » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:34 pm

hisa4.jpg
hisa4.jpg (10.9 KiB) Viewed 4355 times
I usually like to write about obscure optional combinations. This one however is a very common option, but seldom obtained.

流し満貫 (Nagashi Mangan) is unusual as it's based on the composition of your discards rather than your hand. It's awarded in the event of an exhaustive draw (when the supply of wall tiles is exhausted) if all of your discards were honours (winds/dragons) or terminals (ones/nines) and none of them were stolen with calls. It's worth a Mangan (hence the name) with the payments divided like a Tsumo win.

I remember trying to get this many times when I was first learning mahjong and I soon realized how hard it is to make. You'll usually need around seventeen or eighteen terminals and honours from your starting tiles and your draws during the hand. If you start with a lot of T&H you would usually go for Kokushi (Thirteen Orphans), Tsuuiisou (All Honours), Honroutou (All T&H) or Chanta (Mixed Outside Hand) since Nagashi Mangan is a difficult option requiring a lot of luck. Aside from getting the right tiles, you also need to hope that no-one else will declare a win or steal any of your discards.

I'm posting this today because I made it earlier. Usually I would never go for Nagashi but the game I'm playing has a trophy for it. I made a couple of attempts last month but didn't get past about 13-14 discards. Today I started a hand with ten T&H (including three pairs so it was no good for Kokushi) so I made another attempt. I drew a further eight T&H so I had just enough tiles and luckily none of my discards were called. One player reached on turn 7 but I was able to survive since T&H are (relatively!) safer discards and fortunately the other two players managed to avoid dealing into her hand.
nagashi.jpg
nagashi.jpg (79.54 KiB) Viewed 4355 times
(I'm playing a brutal survival mode where everyone starts with 8,000 pts and you need to place 1st or 2nd to continue to the next match.)

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Re: Custom Rule of the Day: Nagashi Mangan

Post by or2az » Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:12 pm

I always tell the ladies I teach about this one.
Easy to explain but hard to get.
Had it way back in 2014

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=53225&p=56866&hilit=Nagashi#p56866

Wow, the link is so small, I can barely see it!

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:42 pm

Yes, I was looking through some old Nagashi posts earlier.

Apparently I got it four times in Mahjong Fight Club (probably PS3). If you play a lot, you'll get it eventually without trying when you're pushing for Tanyao.

Ozball
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Ozball » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:02 am

Yeah this is one I'm always aware of but have never managed to get. It's, as you said, almost always easier to go for a Terminal/Honour yaku than to aim for Nagashi. I'm sure I'll get it one day, but it will probably come from me realising it's possible about half way through the hand, after I've already managed to throw terminals and honours up till that point. :mrgreen:

Also I'm pretty sure Gemma has a vendetta against this yaku and doesn't consider it a "hand" :lol:
"Furiten is the most holiest!" - Garthe Nelson

Online Ranks
Tenhou Rating: Ozball - 1608 - 2nd dan

Old Ranks
MFC: オズボール - Seiryu (Blue Dragon) Master
MFC JPML Rank: 3rd kyu
Ron2 Rating: Ozball - 1335 League: Bronze