3rd riichi anniversary and more

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

3rd riichi anniversary and more

Post by or2az » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:24 am

Aug 20, 2016 : Time sure flies. I made my 1st post on this forum 3 years ago today. Wow!
No long commentary this time except to say that I never would have thought then, that I would be playing weekly japanese mahjong games, with my own set, and with enough people (all female) whom I have taught and converted from the chinese game.....and they love it. It feels good. Just have to make sure I keep feeding them correct information.
We just had our first KONG DURING RIICHI. I had avoided talking about this up to this point.
Had no trouble explaining that the waits before the declaration must be exactly the same as after the declaration but did not know how to approach the other part, that the hand composition or tenpai pattern can not be changed either.
For example, as taken from Scotts' book;
1-bam 1-bam 1-bam 2-bam 4-bam 4-bam 4-bam :back :back :back :back :back :back
Even though the 23 bam wait does not change, you still can not kong the 1-bam because it would eliminate the potential 1-2-3 chow waiting on a 3. Tough to explain stuff like this!
I didn't try.

Shirluban

Re: 3rd riichi anniversary and more

Post by Shirluban » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:10 pm

Happy "joining-day" !
:D
Cats don't do タンヤオ (tan-yao) but タニャーオ (ta-nya-o).
World Riichi Championship Rules 2022
Comparison of riichi rules around the world

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Re: 3rd riichi anniversary and more

Post by Ignatius » Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:02 pm

Happy anniversary!
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.