kokushimusou (thirteen orphans)

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

kokushimusou (thirteen orphans)

Post by or2az » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:41 am

This is the 1st time I have seen this in a game I was playing.
Unfortunately, it was scored against me....and I was East.
I was defending against a riichi by West with a safe tile he had discarded previously and then South suddenly.......oooh, that hurt!
Fortunately, I had a big lead and was able to recover and go on to win the match.
Good thing it wasn't that thirteen-sided wait which may have been a double yakuman.

Sometimes I get this mixed up with that optional Shiisan Pūtā (which I have actually gotten twice) but I believe those thirteen unrelated tiles have to be in a starting hand. Still, it was nice to see.
phpPZZBVAPM(1).jpg
phpPZZBVAPM(1).jpg (19.29 KiB) Viewed 4410 times
phpbHUs59PM.jpg
phpbHUs59PM.jpg (23.11 KiB) Viewed 4410 times

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Re: kokushimusou (thirteen orphans)

Post by Ignatius » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:19 am

32,000... :shock: Ouch.
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

Referee
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Re: kokushimusou (thirteen orphans)

Post by Referee » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:11 am

A Yakuman is always painful when you have to pay it in full. Somewhere in this forum there has to be a video of a game of mine in Tenhou being busted out (I was already in last) by kamicha on "kan, kan, tsumo" yielding a kazoe yakuman only by virtue of three kan-dora.