Tenhou based league games?

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

Krabman
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Tenhou based league games?

Post by Krabman » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:06 am

Hey guys!

I'd like to make Mahjong games more exciting to the girls at our club so I'm planning to organize a small club league. There will be a rank system (heavily based on Tenhou) and nominal prizes for each month's best player. I'm only wondering about scoring. The girls are in the process of learning the fundamentals of tile efficiency, defense etc. so I wouldn't want to make placement scoring too harsh on them YET. What Uma should I use? One thing is for sure negative scores will be allowed.

Maybe I'm overprotective and it'd be better to introduce 4th place avoidance right from the start and help along?

How exactly does Tenhou manage ranking points? I know there's a fixed amount of negative points for 4th places but what about 1st-3rd? Are they directly based on final Uma scores and perhaps rounded up? Let's say I got +65. Do I get +70/+60 rank points? I've also noticed that Tenhou doesn't deduct points for each and every 3rd place. It takes several 3rd places to see my rank points shrink by a bit. It's like there's some kind of a 'safety buffer' (no idea how to call it :D).

Pardon my long and somewhat chaotic message! Still, I'd appreciaty any help....

Iapetus
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Re: Tenhou based league games?

Post by Iapetus » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:55 pm

For example umas, EMA with red fives uses 30/10 and WRC with no red fives uses 15/5. You might want to aim for about half of that - 15/5 with red fives and 9/3 without.

The ranking point tables are at http://tenhou.net/man/#DAN.

You lose a fixed amount of points determined by your Dan rank for placing 4th. 3rd place causes no point loss or gain. 1st and 2nd give you a fixed amount of points dependent on the lobby you are playing in. It starts at +45 for 1st, +0 for 2nd in the general lobby, and both increase by +15 for every higher lobby. The game score you get on tenhou has no effect on your dan rank points or rate.

Krabman
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Re: Tenhou based league games?

Post by Krabman » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:22 pm

Got it! Thanks a lot!