I broke the game!

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

I broke the game!

Post by or2az » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:30 am

One can play a lot of mahjong on a 1400 mile two week road trip from arizona back up 2 the oregon coast and I did just that. This was a strange occurrence.
There I was, with a 6-bam 6-bam 7-bam 8-bam, possible toi-toi, definite yakuhai, and a big lead, when north tossed the 9-bam . I couldn't ron it since I discarded one earlier (furiten) so I had to let it pass, but I accidentally hit the chi button. Oh well, I'll try and change the pair if I can.
phph2EKkSPM.jpg
phph2EKkSPM.jpg (26.94 KiB) Viewed 8229 times
But the game would not let me discard the 6-bam , maybe because of kuikae.
The game was frozen on the above screen.
I tried everything, even reset the ipod. Nothing worked. I was in a time loop with the game repeating that unfortunate chi and freezing up.
Had to delete the app and re-install it.
Didn't know what else to do.

Referee
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Re: I broke the game!

Post by Referee » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:51 am

Found a bug. Ideally, you shouldn't be allowed to chi because then you have no discard available, so the option shouldn't be there. In a RL game this thing wouldn't have happened in the first place, because it's not like one could accidentally shout "chi!" at that point. Anyway, if you call that 9s, then you gotta pay chonbo for kuikae.

It's unfortunate that this loophole in the programming ends up breaking the game in such a way that the drastic measures have to be taken.

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Post by Ignatius » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:20 pm

The best idea, I think, is to contact the creators of the game and explain the bug, so they try to fix it.
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:08 am

I have tried, previously, to contact ATHENA on another matter. I have searched...and searched...and searched, with no success.
Surprisingly, the Athena Web Site (Professional Mahjong KIWAME) support page doesn't seem to exist any more. I get NOT FOUND.
Not much else I can do.

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Post by Ignatius » Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:17 am

or2az wrote:I have tried, previously, to contact ATHENA on another matter. I have searched...and searched...and searched, with no success.
Surprisingly, the Athena Web Site (Professional Mahjong KIWAME) support page doesn't seem to exist any more. I get NOT FOUND.
Not much else I can do.
The Android page https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... e5.android gives two things:

First, a dead website, second, a contact mail, which is: nakamura@trinity-darts.jp

And there is another option. Some Athena apps have the e-mail I gave, but others, have this one: mac01@athena-game.co.jp

I hope something helps...
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:25 pm

Thanks for the info. I sent this message to both of the e-mail addresses.
Let's see if I ever get an answer.
First, great app, my favorite, lots of options and features.
Second , 2 flaws in the game:
When the ryan han shibari optional rule is in effect and you need a 2-yaku minumum to win, the game counts dora as yaku, meaning it allows you to win with lets say, tanyao and a dora.
This should not be. Dora should never count as yaku. This is a major flaw and needs to be fixed.
Next,
I had 3 exposed sets on the table and a 6678 in my hand. An opponent discarded the 9. Kuikae is not allowed.
I accidentally hit the chi button leaving the 66 in my hand. The game would not let me discard either 6 and the screen froze.
I had to delete the app and re-install it. ( I have only been in this exact situation once in 4000 games and it was by accident)
Needed to let you know. Thanks for your time.

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder

Post by Ignatius » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:21 am

I hope you get an answer, man.

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:52 pm

Just an update for any interested parties.
It's been 6 months and I have not received a reply from Athena from either of the above email addresses.
I sent another asking if they ever plan to do an update or have just abandoned the app (on android and IOS, both).
Don't really expect an answer to this one either.

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder

Post by Ignatius » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:34 am

or2az wrote:Just an update for any interested parties.
It's been 6 months and I have not received a reply from Athena from either of the above email addresses.
I sent another asking if they ever plan to do an update or have just abandoned the app (on android and IOS, both).
Don't really expect an answer to this one either.
Aaww man. Sorry to hear that.

Well, at least there are other good mahjong games for each platform. And you can still play the game, even with those bugs...
But, it will not be the same as playing a game without bugs.