quick decision vs WWYD

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Re: quick decision vs WWYD

Post by Ignatius » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:02 am

Don't worry, I don't even understand myself. I'm unable to explain myself like you do because of that.

As this topic is about quick thinking, I did only that. Even if it's not rational, I'll stick to my decision.

When the thing is like a WWYD question I try to analyze things the best way I can. But I tend to be more or less like this, kinda irrational, I think. I'm not too good analyzing either way. So I usually end picking my own choice and reading the analysis people better than me does.

In the end, when playing mahjong I try to remember what I've read and try to apply it, but most of the time I play by sheer instinct.
As I have not enough players to play it with my table and tiles, I really didn't need to memorize the scoring tables, because I play with videogames or online programs, which calculate for me the points. I'm always thinking because that maybe my game doesn't develop as good as other players. But I don't know if it's true...

Edit:
You know what? I don´t care. I only need to have fun playing this game. Better to be positive!
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:33 am

phpv9Gxe2PM.jpg
phpv9Gxe2PM.jpg (32.38 KiB) Viewed 5898 times
Here's the situation. It's South 2 with 13 tiles remaining and there's 2000 pts separating 1st from 2nd. I already have tanyao dora 2 and have just drawn the 4-crak . Do I riichi and what do I discard? Obviously, it's one of the bams, 3, 4, 5, or 6. Let's pretend the clock is ticking and I have to think fast.
I decide to riichi (mistake?) and toss the 6-bam . (I might have tossed the 3-bam instead but I saw the 7-bam in my discards and quickly realized I would be furiten). Time's up. I managed to beat the clock.

Okay, now let's rewind and eliminate the clock. Quick decision over, now it's a WWYD. What would you have done?
note: I did win the hand but don't let that influence you.
phpn2YJ4tPM.jpg
phpn2YJ4tPM.jpg (11.46 KiB) Viewed 5898 times
sidenote: I think I noticed that in Tenhou, when you riichi, and don't choose a discard before time runs out, that it chooses one for you. Does it just pick one of the possible discards at random?

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:38 am

It is South 4, probably the last hand of the match, and there are 100 points separating 1st place (the dealer) from 2nd place (me). I have a mangan on the horizon with the green dragons, but I really only need to win the hand. I'm waiting on the 5-bam (none out yet) , with 18 tiles remaining.
phpv23ZoCPM.jpg
phpv23ZoCPM.jpg (33.41 KiB) Viewed 5870 times
But then, West discards the 9-crak and the clock starts ticking (hypothetically). Need time to think. Do I pon it and discard what, the 4, 5, or 6 bam?
I decide to pon the 9 if only to make East lose a turn, and maybe get a better wait. What's better, 46 shanpon, 47 ryanmen, or 36 ryanmen.
A quick look at the discards and I toss the 6, deciding on the 47 ryanmen wait. Time has just ran out. (It actually ran out a while ago).

Now to go back and re-analyze the situation. What would you have done?
(p.s. I did win the hand)

Iapetus
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Iapetus » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:19 pm

January 8: That was the right wait, good job on recognizing the souzu shape. But not riiching would have been better. You're first, it's late to the hand and the hand is already tanyao dora2. The plan of "I'll call this hand to tenpai, or get to tenpai myself and dama" should already have been made. Riichi here isn't terrible or anything though.

January 19: I have no concrete answer for this. The pon doesn't really slow the dealer down, calling from opposite would have been a bigger deal. Of the waits, I'd choose 36s since the 3s are behind a 4s kabe. But not ponning, the 5s is hard to use by opponents because you have many 46s and drawing 7s would give you the optimal 58s wait... I guess the 36s wait is the best option.

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:49 pm

Thanks for your input. After analyzing the latter situation again, perhaps we can continue the discussion on the waits a little furthur.
I was always under the impression that late in the hand, if a tile is not showing on the table, that it is dangerous and less likely to be discarded.
I usually try to take this into account in order to maximize my chances of winning both ways, either by ron or by tsumo.

In this case, there are no 5s or 6s showing on the table, leading me to believe that they are not likely to be discarded by anyone.
There also two 2s and two 3s, along with a 4s and 7s, which leads me to believe that the 3s is the one most likely to be discarded.

Looking at this in conjunction with what is in my hand, and seeing that there are 2 3-bam , 2 6-bam , 1 4-bam, and 3 7-bam available,
how does one decide on which wait is more efficient, the 36 or the 47?
I chose the 47, ended up with a ron win on the 7, but had to toss the 6 (breaking my rule) to do it.
Is that why the 36 wait would be better even though there would probably be less tiles available (for a ron win) since the 6 most likely won't get tossed?
(Or do you not even take these things into consideration?)