Who wins a tie game?

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Who wins a tie game?

Post by or2az » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:25 am

This game went into the WEST round because the target score of 30000 was not reached by any player.
In the 4th hand of the round, I claimed a 6-bam discarded by North for the win and the match ended.
Two players were tied with 36000 points.
After the final scores were tallied, one had +26, the other +6...... (20k oka bonus, 30k deducted)
I got credited with the match win. I can't seem to find out why?
If both had 36000 pts, What determines who wins?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (160.85 KiB) Viewed 12069 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (160.72 KiB) Viewed 12069 times

Iapetus
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Re: Who wins a tie game?

Post by Iapetus » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:01 am

The standard tiebreaker favors the player who was dealer first.

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Post by Ignatius » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:53 pm

Yeah, the First East has advantage over other players in a tie. It goes the same way the winds are always shown: 1st East>1st South>1st West>1st North. 1st North will always lose in that situation, has no worth. Being the 1st North in those cases makes me to do a "facepalm"...
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:44 pm

Alternatively you could think of it as first [player to be] east > second east > third east > fourth east.

Of course in theory three or four players could tie. Some video-games indicate 1st/2nd/3rd/4th positions throughout the match and you'll see that places are assigned according to the seatings, even at the start of a game when everyone has the same score. It's kinda harsh when you haven't even done anything yet but the game says you're 3rd or 4th! :x

Shirluban

Post by Shirluban » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:00 pm

"Who wins a tie game?"
The guy with the most awesome tie. :lol:
Cats don't do タンヤオ (tan-yao) but タニャーオ (ta-nya-o).
World Riichi Championship Rules 2022
Comparison of riichi rules around the world

Senechal
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Senechal » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:40 pm

Whoa, this was a full round and not sudden death ?

I would like to know the general prevalence of a full-round played, because the old club in Montreal enforced that rule, and we scuttled it as soon as possible with the new club, because it was fucking up the ability to exchange players between games.

I would say that in computer games, seat order takes precedence. Most live games would split any bonuses and ranks.

Referee
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Referee » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:09 pm

Yeah, on a live game I'd split the 20k oka, but computer games tend to do that, it's a bit unfair either way.

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:16 am

The 1st optional rule is in effect. The 2nd is not.
From Barticles, p62-63
Under the Shānyū (西入) rule, if no player has achieved the target score by the end of the second
(south) wind-round then a third (west) round is played.
A variation under Shānyū is the Sudden Death rule (サドンデス [sadon desu]) whereby the game will end as soon as
someone achieves the target score if you are already playing "extra time".

I have also noticed that some computer games use a marker (or dice) to indicate who started the game as East and it remains throughout the game. Others don't, so unless you have a good memory, I guess you just have to wait until the tie happens to see who benefits by it.

As a side note, I'm not sure about forum etiquette, but please try to refrain from using coarse language in the future as this may be offensive to some readers. Thank you for your cooperation.

Senechal
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Senechal » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:31 am

I'm pretty sure that common sense applies to that. If you were offended by the instance of the word "fucking" in that context, you can feel free to petition Shirluban or any of the mods to have it taken care of. The year is 2014, and this is not a site directed solely to children.

When running a club meet, it would be nice to exchange players from different tables in order to raise the overall enjoyment of the players. But if you have multiple instances of a table lasting one hour and another lasting three hours because of an ill-conceived house rule, refusal to reexamine the situation leads to those kinds of problems that could have been easily prevented. It's in no way a pejorative aimed at the former club leader, or any person involved, or even the reader. Only the situation itself was s... poopie.

That last bit sounds ridiculous, and it's intentional.

Kyuu
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Kyuu » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:33 am

In this example, I was able to capture the win on a haneman tsumo and the tie breaker.

http://tenhou.net/0/?log=2014011412gm-0 ... tw=1&ts=11

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:00 am

or2az wrote:I have also noticed that some computer games use a marker (or dice) to indicate who started the game as East and it remains throughout the game. Others don't, so unless you have a good memory, I guess you just have to wait until the tie happens to see who benefits by it.
In addition to showing the current round-wind, the Chiicha mark indicates the Chiicha - first east.

If dice are shown on the virtual tabletop they should be next to the dealer - current east.

Some games display less information than others but there should always be enough information somewhere to determine the current seat-winds (and hence previous ones). Even if it only shows the Chiicha mark and the hand count you know that the Chiicha is east in the East 1 hand, north in East 2, etc, the player to their right is south in East 1, east in East 2, etc...

In East 4 or South 4 (or West 4!), the south player was first east, west was second east, north was third east and obviously east is fourth east.

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:27 pm

Thanks Bart;
Sometimes, because the computer seems to handle just about everything, I don't pay attention to some of the more basic things.
Let me see if I got this right.
If I start a match as West, that means I will be in the west seat in South 1 and in West 1, if it goes that far, no matter how many draws or continuances occur, and that I will be the 3rd east. (since the order is E-N-W-S-E-N-W-S)
Also, if the match ends in South 3, where I was east, (picture below), the 3 tells me that I was the 3rd east, which means the first east was two before me, or the current west seat. (It also tells me, by the order, that I started the match as west)
This seems complicated without the Chiicha marker to denote who was 1st east.
I should just carry around your chart from page 11, at least for a while.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (42.27 KiB) Viewed 11990 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (142.13 KiB) Viewed 11993 times

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:19 pm

or2az wrote:I should just carry around your chart [...]
That's what I was using earlier. ;)

Of course you can avoid these complications if you always make sure you score more points than everyone else...

...or just let the computer work it out! (the same goes doubly (heh) for scoring)

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:35 pm

That's true, but if I ever find myself in a real game (now that I got that set) with people who know less than I do about japanese mahjong, how am I going to convince them that I know what I'm doing? (without a computer around to do my bidding).

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:16 pm

With that prospect you should keep doing what you're good at: practising, learning and asking.

...or get a scoring app and let the phone work it out. :P