I just couldn't resist!

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Re: I just couldn't resist!

Post by or2az » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:53 am

Stopped into a thrift store on my way to Arizona and picked up this 1923 Chinese mahjong set in a cardboard box with all wooden pieces.
The racks (5) are also wood and the scoring sticks are plastic, I think, flexible, and in 4 colors. Red, blue, green, and yellow.
The cracks are all red, dots blue, and bams green. I guess this would make the "all green" yakuman a slight problem.
It still has the instruction book, "The Ancient Game of the Mandarins", 4 wind indicators, and there is a piece of wood in the tray which I believe is the 1st dealer indicator.
I assume it's worth the $10 I paid for the set.
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg (37.69 KiB) Viewed 5991 times
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg (36.68 KiB) Viewed 5991 times
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg (44.51 KiB) Viewed 5991 times

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Post by Ignatius » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:32 pm

Looks awesome. How are the instructions?
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

Referee
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Referee » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:25 am

Manzu chinitsu, dora 13. Kazoe yakuman. No? Well, it was worth a try... ;)

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:40 pm

How are the instructions?
The booklet is 24 pages and seems well written and illustrated and Is dated 1923
The author is Hugo Manovill (1878-1965), who, from what i have read, was the in-house mahjong expert for Piroxloid Products, a company based in New York, that imported mahjong sets to the USA in the 1920s.
php8eTjAbAM.jpg
php8eTjAbAM.jpg (30.97 KiB) Viewed 5971 times
Another well-known 1920s U.S. manufacturer of Mahjong sets was Parker Brothers, Inc. Whereas the Piroxloid sets came with a Manovill rulebook, Parker Brothers sets were sold with "Babcock Rules."
In our calendar, 2017 is an important year. One hundred years ago, in 1917, according to legend, Joseph P. Babcock saw Mahjong being played. Babcock was working for Standard Oil and living in Soochow. As the story goes, he was on a ship on the Yangze River when he heard a lot of noise and laughter. He went to investigate, and found crewmen playing a mysterious game with tiles. Babcock spoke fluent Chinese, and he quickly learned how to play the game. He is credited with being the first person to realize the game might be a hit with the foreign market. He joined with others to form the Mah-Jongg Sales Company. Babcock added Arabic numbers and Western letters to the tile sets, so that Americans and Europeans could understand which tile was which. He also may have been the one to come up with the concept of "dumbing down" : thinking the Chinese rules and scoring were way too complicated for the non-Chinese market, he simplified everything. His version was printed in a little red soft-cover book which was enclosed in every set exported from China.
phpaeNnjSAM.jpg
phpaeNnjSAM.jpg (17.95 KiB) Viewed 5971 times
Sorry for the long history lesson. I got carried away. Here's another photo from the bottom of one of the racks.
IMG_7157.JPG
IMG_7157.JPG (94.58 KiB) Viewed 5962 times

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Post by Ignatius » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:11 pm

That's interesting, educational too...
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.