Questions about Parenchan

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Questions about Parenchan

Post by or2az » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:22 pm

Just claimed south for toi-toi and got a surprise. Parenchan. 8 consecutive dealer continuances.
I understand that this is considered rare, and it is an optional yakuman, but I have gotten it twice and have some questions.
Questions: On the top left of both screens, there are two different words that have the number 4 by them.
From what I have read, I think one is the honba count (blue screen) and the other is the amount of 100pt scoring sticks (green screen).
A) Don't these two mean the same thing? My other parenchan had the number 6 on both screens. B) Does that mean that both numbers are always going to be the same?
Since you get a honba for a dealer win or draw, C) should'nt both numbers be 8 for a Parenchan?
I have read posts that refer to Parenchan as 8 consecutive dealer wins as opposed to 8 consecutive dealer continuances. D) Which is correct?
I have also read posts that state that you don't have to be the dealer when the streak starts since you are definitely going to be the dealer when the streak of 8 completes. E) Is this correct?
Lastly, I read a post (I read a lot) which stated that honba draws don't count towards the streak. F) Don't understand this. Help!

Addendum: Based on the reply below, I can see how the answer to question C is NO if the answer to question E is YES.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (100.63 KiB) Viewed 9847 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (165.41 KiB) Viewed 9847 times
Last edited by or2az on Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Masa
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Re: Questions about Parenchan

Post by Masa » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:03 pm

I assume you started from North wind.
Then you won East 1,2,3. then you became dealer. then you won 5 times. In this case there is 4 counters on the table.

Ozball
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Ozball » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:25 am

My understanding of parenchan is that you need to win 8 times as dealer. So there should be 8 bonus sticks on the table for this to happen. Though my guess is the place you play just counts it as 8 consecutive wins regardless of your seating. (as Masa described)

Parenchan literally means eight dealer continuances. "Pa" - from pa-pin, pa-sou, and pa-man - the 8s in each suit. And "renchan" from "tenpai-renchan" which is the name of the rule where the dealer continues as dealer even after a draw as long as they are in tenpai, so "tenpai-dealer continuance".
"Furiten is the most holiest!" - Garthe Nelson

Online Ranks
Tenhou Rating: Ozball - 1608 - 2nd dan

Old Ranks
MFC: オズボール - Seiryu (Blue Dragon) Master
MFC JPML Rank: 3rd kyu
Ron2 Rating: Ozball - 1335 League: Bronze

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Post by Ignatius » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:58 pm

Keep in mind that there is also, Agari-renchan. Continuance only when winning. I think Paarenchan (this yaku) refers to this. In fact is obtained when winning eight times consecutively...
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:26 pm

A late follow-up on this thread. I'm currently playing one of the Gundam mahjong games on the Nintendo DS which has an optional rule setting that adds "rare yaku" including Pā Renchan. Unlike other games it also illustrates this with a new counter that appears showing "1 レン" (ren = renchan), "2 レン", etc.

This counter only increments when the dealer wins a hand (agari renchan). If they get a tenpai hand in an exhaustive draw - even if the rule settings allow tenpai renchan - it breaks the win streak and the counter is effectively reset to zero (it disappears).

I'm yet to see the counter exceed 2, maybe 3, but it's nice to see the process in action. :lol:

The honba count could be less than 8 (if you started your winning streak before you became east) or more than 8 (as a result of draws).

This page gives examples of both: https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E5%85%AB ... 3%E8%8D%98

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Post by Ignatius » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:53 am

There are two Gundam mahjong games.

機動劇団はろ一座 ガンダム麻雀DS: 親父にもアガラレタことないのに!
Kidou Gekidan Haro Ichiza Gundam Mahjong DS: Oyaji nimo agarareta koto nai noni!
Mobile Troupe Haro´s Party (or Troupe) Gundam Mahjong DS: Not even my old man won against me!

The last part of this game´s name is a joke about the series itself.

Amuro, the main character of the first series, says on the anime (when a superior hits him): Oyaji nimo butareta koto nai noni! Which means: Not even my old man hit me!

The second game is: 機動劇団はろ一座 ガンダム麻雀+Z:さらにデキるようになったな!
Kidou Gekidan Haro Ichiza Gundam Mahjong+Z: Sara ni dekiru youni natta na!
Mobile Troupe Haro´s Party (or Troupe) Gundam Mahjong +Z: We became able to do more and more! (Maybe it´s a too literal translation.)

This second game have the characters from the previous game, which was based on the original Gundam series from 1979, and adds some major characters from the second series, Gundam Z.

I played the second game because I like those two Gundam series (The only ones I´ve seen so far). But one of the main reasons was the fact I was able to play with one of the unlockable characters, Haman Kharn (ハマーン・カーン/Hamaan Kaan in japanese). She´s so badass...

And I know the game has this paarenchan and other rare yaku rule as an option. Or as the game describes them, Rea Yaku.

The game itself is very funny (if you know japanese and Gundam series.) As my japanese is not too good, I had problems with it, but it was funny. It was a chance to learn too. But it´s a game with superpowers, and a lot of them are similar, and some character´s powers are lame compared to others. And this is a problem.

It´s not the best mahjong game for DS but, well... It´s OK, it´s enjoyable.

Also the game has A LOT of references to the series and the quotes of each character. And that´s brutal. Most of in-game sentences are modifications of original sentences of both anime, but with mahjong words, or at least modified to be related to mahjong. Some cases have no modifications, as they are not needed.
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:54 pm

Yes, I'm playing Gundam Mahjong +Z. I have all the characters unlocked except for Gihren. I'm not too familiar with the franchise and I skip the story scenes but I had noticed that the campaign missions all have mahjong terms in the titles. The character specials and figure buffs are fun to play with. I like using a character with a dora loading special and running an S-rank special gauge refill buff. 8)

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder

Post by Ignatius » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:27 pm

Barticle wrote:Yes, I'm playing Gundam Mahjong +Z. I have all the characters unlocked except for Gihren. I'm not too familiar with the franchise and I skip the story scenes but I had noticed that the campaign missions all have mahjong terms in the titles. The character specials and figure buffs are fun to play with. I like using a character with a dora loading special and running an S-rank special gauge refill buff. 8)
The are two characters with Dora pile-up, Ramba Ral, an old man with a military uniform, And Sirocco, a guy with a white suit. In both cases the Dora Pile-up it´s their first ability.

If you need help translating something I will do my best to try to help you.

Be careful when playing. The moment you choose a mobile suit you bet it. If you run out of battery or turn off the DS before doing mid-game save (even before starting the real mahjong game), you´ll lose the mech you bet. This happens too if, when ending a game, you´re unable to reach the saving point. My DS is very old and the battery too, so it´s battery run out very fast... The moment I see the red bar I connect my DS to a plug. I lost the mobile suits I bet twice... It hurts...

So make sure you have enough battery and/or have the battery charger near, and a point to plug it, a plug.

There is an infinite C1 group item with always 99 of it. The Tank Type-61MBT. Upper left side of the group C1, in the figure hangar. Has no abilities. マイデータ My Data > フィギュアハンガー Figure Hangar.

Also be careful with the section マイデータ My Data > プレイヤーデータPlayer Data > データ消去 Data Erase. If you press this you´ll be asked if you want to erase the data. The selected option, on the right, is to cancel it, the left option is to erase all the data.

Also in オプション Options you can activate (in yellow、あり, Ari)/deactivate (in purple なし, Nashi):
The BGM
Voices 効果音
Sentences during the mahjong game, active is ノーマル対局 (Normal game), inactive is 高機動型対局 (Fast maneuver type game).

至言ワザ Wise saying techniques on or off: If, active the characters are able to use their superpowers.

特殊効果 Special effects on or off: If active you can use your mobile suits abilities (which are passive).

Those last two options can only be modified to affect only the single player modes 一人対局. Scenario game シナリオ対局 and Free game フリー対局. On free game is random chracter selection button, Start. You can use it whenever you want. When you choose only your chraracter, and want to randomize your rivals, you can randomize all, two, or only the last one rival.

There is a also a blue デフォルト Default button in the options menu.
Last edited by Ignatius on Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:03 am, edited 3 times in total.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:34 am

Thanks, I've been playing/translating for a while so I've got all the names, specials, menus and options. I found full lists of figures, titles and notes on a Japanese wiki too.

I've found that if I do a console reset (tap power button briefly) at any stage prior to the autosave after the post-match Figure Hangar update I can reload the game without losing a figure (works on DSi XL). I'm much happier using the high ranking figures with that safety net!

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder

Post by Ignatius » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:36 am

Barticle wrote:Thanks, I've been playing/translating for a while so I've got all the names, specials, menus and options. I found full lists of figures, titles and notes on a Japanese wiki too.

I've found that if I do a console reset (tap power button briefly) at any stage prior to the autosave after the post-match Figure Hangar update I can reload the game without losing a figure (works on DSi XL). I'm much happier using the high ranking figures with that safety net!
I have the old old DS, the first. Don´t know if I can do that. I think I cannnot.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:05 pm

There was much excitement when I got a 5 win streak...!
5ren1.jpg
5ren1.jpg (28.7 KiB) Viewed 9502 times
Win streak in progress - three more wins to complete the yakuman.
5ren2.jpg
5ren2.jpg (23.06 KiB) Viewed 9502 times
Sadly, although I made tenpai and reached, I failed to win the next match. :cry: