Scoring in Osaka 3-Player Mahjong

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

edruro
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Scoring in Osaka 3-Player Mahjong

Post by edruro » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:07 pm

Hi!

I'm reading the post of Jenn about the 3 player mahjong of Osaka (http://reachmahjong.com/en/2013/01/osak ... r-mahjong/) and I'm really interested because we are 3 friends playing regularly Mahjong, but I quite don't understand how scoring works for hands below mangan. Specially in the case of non dealer tsumo and without using the 100 point sticks.

How it works a hand of 2.000, 4.000 and 6.000? They are split evenly between the players, disregarding of who is the dealer? Also, everything from 30 to 60 fu, 1 han scores 2.000 and also from 20 to 30 fu, 2 han? Or there is a minimum of han to go out?

Thanks very much.

Iapetus
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Re: Scoring in Osaka 3-Player Mahjong

Post by Iapetus » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:15 pm

Tenhou doesn't do it like that. The tsumos are paid normally there, meaning that a tsumo gets 3/4 the points for a nondealer and 2/3 for a dealer. For example, nondealer mangan tsumo = 2000+4000, ron still 8000. Doesn't necessarily make sense, but what about 3p does?

edruro
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by edruro » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:40 am

Iapetus wrote:Tenhou doesn't do it like that. The tsumos are paid normally there, meaning that a tsumo gets 3/4 the points for a nondealer and 2/3 for a dealer. For example, nondealer mangan tsumo = 2000+4000, ron still 8000. Doesn't necessarily make sense, but what about 3p does?
Yeah, in fact we were playing with Tenhou rules to this day, but it's not really suited to calculate payments outside of the computer aid. I mean, it's not that difficult, but it's tedious and not fun. Some sort of simplification is needed.

Scott Miller
Junior Reacher
Junior Reacher

Post by Scott Miller » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:38 am

I've just read the Osaka rules, and wonder if it is not another name for Kansai riichi.
Editor, Mahjong News
Author, "Mahjong from A to Zhú"
Columnist, "Tiles of the Unexpected" in "Mahjong Collector Magazine"
World Riichi Championship Committee
Vice President of the Mahjong Int'l League
Chow Eater

xKime
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by xKime » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:25 am

I played this kind of way in Osaka (or at least fairly similar). I don't have very fond memories of the game itself. We were originally going to play 4p after Watanabe's birthday, but then Endo fell asleep, and the remaining three of us went to play set at @home parlor near Shinsaibashi.The rules were barely explained to me at all, we were playing at 30 yen per point, and every hand seemed worth going for it (with 8 red dora in game, sure, most hands seemed shiny!). As a result, rarely did I get a chance to honestly defend, dealt in a lot, and lost 3000JPY.

Rounding up meant just that. Rounding up all scores. 6000 instead of 5800, 3000 all instead of 2600 all, and so on.

The 3000 yen I had won playing free the night before in parlor "San", suddenly disappeared the next morning. From that day on, I swore never to gamble on 3p ever again. Ever. And to warn everyone: 1. 3p is not real mahjong. 2. I suck at 3p