Has anyone ever tried playing an actual "full game" lately?

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

Goldeneye
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Has anyone ever tried playing an actual "full game" lately?

Post by Goldeneye » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:45 pm

What I mean by "full game" is that the game continues into West and North rounds, obviously ending early if tobi is ari and someone goes bankrupt before the North 4 round.

The old Mahjong book from about 1964 (yes, Whitney's) describes a full game covering all four wind rounds, but in the 20 years since then, an actual game is now understood to be only the East and South rounds, since by the time the Yakuman video games came out by Nintendo, game length only covers East and South rounds.

wavemotion
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Re: Has anyone ever tried playing an actual "full game" late

Post by wavemotion » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:12 pm

Only when I play non-Japanese rules. I enjoy more traditional flavors of Mahjong though none are as great (IMO) as Riichi Machjong.

Kyuu
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Kyuu » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:20 pm

Via Tenhou, I've gone as far as West 4 in a game. But I believe; they cap it so that is does not go into North.

Trotskey
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Trotskey » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:24 am

It's been a while, but yes, I've played a few East-North riichi rounds.

A number of them were 5-man rotation games, where the dealer swaps out after losing dealership.
Those seemed less likely to end with someone busting out, as the points would just kinda rotate their way around the table.

And a number of them were the same 4 people. Getting used to the pacing makes playing tonpussen feel like the silliest thing in the world.