The best non-yakuman hand you've gotten?

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

Rinshan_Kaihou
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:10 pm

The best non-yakuman hand you've gotten?

Post by Rinshan_Kaihou » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:40 pm

One time my mom got 11 dora consisting of two quads and one triplet, but she lost the hand because she couldn't make another triplet/pair in time to go out. That would have been amazing if she had pulled it off! I wouldn't even be mad at all to lose to something that crazy.

For me, my best ever was a self picked richii, straight flush, iipeiko, with two dora, worth the cost of a Yakuman. I didn't know about pinfu at the time so I'm not sure if I had gotten it, so I'll assume I didn't.

Honorable mentions is me picking 5 tiles in a row exactly what I wanted, but I still lost so it doesn't count as me getting it (and it wasn't worth near as many points anyways). Those were the only tiles I picked that were good the entire hand, so that's how I still lost. It was too little too late. :(

Kyuu
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher
Posts: 273
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:27 pm
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Re: The best non-yakuman hand you've gotten?

Post by Kyuu » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:44 am

Oddly enough, I've never scored sanbaiman. So, just a bunch of baiman for me, aside from any yakuman.

xKime
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher
Posts: 300
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:16 am
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Contact:

Re: The best non-yakuman hand you've gotten?

Post by xKime » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:57 am

Cool story, bro.

Rinshan_Kaihou
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:10 pm

Re: The best non-yakuman hand you've gotten?

Post by Rinshan_Kaihou » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:45 pm

xKime wrote:Cool story, bro.
It sounds like you don't believe me. However, even the craziest things can happen if you play the game enough. It's not like I always have such crazy things happen, so things even out over time from the games where I do practically nothing but sit there. These are true stories of very unlikely events that have only happened a couple of times.

...either that or you really did think it's a cool story, in which case thanks. This thread is to hear cool stories about non-yakuman hands, so feel free to tell me yours.

xKime
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher
Posts: 300
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:16 am
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Contact:

Re: The best non-yakuman hand you've gotten?

Post by xKime » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:45 am

No, there is a third option: I am taking an uncompromising stand to an uncompromising question.

Of course I believe you, because it is not something neither crazy, amazing nor out of this world; personally, I have seen these patterns occur many times.

The thing is, the main question of the thread is so vague that it looks set up only so you can tell a story that may be amusing to you, but is in fact ordinary and common when you play the game enough, like you say. Therefore, I ironically commended you for the story.

Thus, it is impossible to answer the main question of the thread without sounding like a dummy who gets impressed about the least impressive of things, such as non-winning hands with a few more dora than usual. Which is why I decided to take that uncompromising stand to your awe-less story and your sort of embarrassing question.

But leave it at that: Cool story, bro.

Kyuu
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher
Posts: 273
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:27 pm
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Re: The best non-yakuman hand you've gotten?

Post by Kyuu » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:55 am

xKime wrote:Of course I believe you, because it is not something neither crazy, amazing nor out of this world; personally, I have seen these patterns occur many times.
Part of me knew y'were gonna say that. :twisted:

And so, this begs the question: How long as Mr Rinshan been playing this game?

Rinshan_Kaihou
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:10 pm

Re: The best non-yakuman hand you've gotten?

Post by Rinshan_Kaihou » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:46 pm

A couple of months. I don't see why you need to have this condenscending attitude when the point of this thread is just so you guys can come in here and say the coolest hand you've gotten in hopes that it might be fun to read about.
Last edited by Rinshan_Kaihou on Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Shirluban
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 773
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:53 pm
Location: Svartalfheim
Contact:

Re: The best non-yakuman hand you've gotten?

Post by Shirluban » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:54 pm

If I judge by the number of replies, this topic looks more interesting than half of the "Reach Mahjong" sub-forum's topics.

In other words: If you think a subject is lame, don't feel compelled to comment it.
__________________________
xKime wrote:Of course I believe you, because it is not something neither crazy, amazing nor out of this world; personally, I have seen these patterns occur many times.
Methinks the point of this topic is for you to share the craziest amazingly out of the world hand you have seen.
So feel free to astonish us.
Cats don't do タンヤオ (tan-yao) but タニャーオ (ta-nya-o).
World Riichi Championship Rules
Comparison of riichi rules around the world

xKime
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher
Posts: 300
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:16 am
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Contact:

Re: The best non-yakuman hand you've gotten?

Post by xKime » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:55 pm

Shirluban wrote:If I judge by the number of replies, this topic looks more interesting than half of the "Reach Mahjong" sub-forum's topics.

In other words: If you think a subject is lame, don't feel compelled to comment it.
Although, I disagree; this topic looks just the same as half of the topics in the Reach Mahjong forum, albeit with a different wording. Perhaps it is only second in banality to "yakuman club."
__________________________
Shirluban wrote: Methinks the point of this topic is for you to share the craziest amazingly out of the world hand you have seen.
So feel free to astonish us.
But I am looking forwards to -your- stories!

I am not good at telling any stories, either. Because I don't find them amusing myself, it is hard to attempt to amuse. Ah, uhm... this one time... when I was playing Reach Mahjong IRL... I had like, one dora of the yakuhai dora... and for whatever reason decided to keep it... and uhm... drew a second one... then drew a third one... then when I was tenpai, I drew the fourth one, I made a kan on it, the new dora was the same tile, and I won by rinshan kaihou. Tsumo, rinshan, 8 dora. Not yakuman, but totally kewwwwl nonetheless.

Though the amusement is false, the story is real. Also... what the hey, other related SSs that tell their own story, perhaps a lot better than I might be able to do so myself:
Another rinshan baiman
http://i.imgur.com/g1svB.jpg

Non-yakuman shii san
http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/2619/shiisanbudou.jpg

No-skill hand, also known as double riichi with three ura
http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/8605 ... 060245.jpg

7 pairs 7 dora
http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/4310 ... 074312.jpg

Menhon
http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/6198 ... 175623.jpg

2 fan 100 fu
http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/6044/100fu.jpg

3p and its ridiculous hands that end the game in East 1
http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/6991/endzf.png

Tan yao 8 dora just because.
http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/5008/byeman.jpg

Haitei san an.
http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/4021/j ... 215230.jpg

One of my chankan
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/594/chankan.jpg/

Another chankan
http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/8753 ... 020327.jpg

Menhon
http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/1184 ... 083859.jpg

Menchin
http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/6747 ... 083618.jpg

Nagashi Mangan
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/9310/nagashimangan.jpg

Win on a Kita in 3p
http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/6002/3makitaron.jpg

Rinshan chinitsu
http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/8483 ... aihou2.jpg

An old tenpai hand from my very first day at tenhou (and online mahjong/mahjong against human players as a whole)
http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/3661/riichi2.jpg

Oyabai gyakuten
http://pasteshack.net/images/304374001345074179.png
Just a few I rescued from my blag. if my computer didn't break, I would have quite a few better/newer ones, such as chinitsu-ryanpeikou (Mengele's hand) and a few more sanbaiman hands. I owe them to you, for next time. And of course, I am only sharing -mine-. I have dealt into a few amazing hands myself, but I don't save screenshots of me giving away points; that's just uncool.

Do note that we have a database for "amazing (non-yakuman) hands" http://arcturus.su/rondb/

Rinshan_Kaihou
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:10 pm

Re: The best non-yakuman hand you've gotten?

Post by Rinshan_Kaihou » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:45 am

Cool story bro. lol
jk

I was mainly sticking around here to get some questions answered in other topics, so now that they have been answered I might not check back here again unless I have other questions to ask. Not that you guys can't use this topic still (obviously).

xKime
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher
Posts: 300
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:16 am
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Contact:

Re: The best non-yakuman hand you've gotten?

Post by xKime » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:57 am

Rinshan_Kaihou wrote:Cool story bro. lol
jk

I was mainly sticking around here to get some questions answered in other topics, so now that they have been answered I might not check back here again unless I have other questions to ask. Not that you guys can't use this topic still (obviously).
Yeah, I had assumed as much.

Bon voyage. Thanks, I guess.

Rinshan_Kaihou
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:10 pm

Re: The best non-yakuman hand you've gotten?

Post by Rinshan_Kaihou » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:56 pm

*Pops in one last time for now*

My favorite of yours was the 7 dora 7 pair, by the way. That would be pretty sweet to get.

Referee
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher
Posts: 380
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:24 pm

Re: The best non-yakuman hand you've gotten?

Post by Referee » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:43 pm

A near miss in a game I have just played. Game was going badly, but this would have saved me. In South 2-0 I was riiching for Menzen Ikkutsukan Pinfu, And my reaching discard was called for Riichi Pinfu Sanshoku Dora Dora, which is big part of the reason I was so far behind.

And then, http://tenhou.net/0/?log=2012082406gm-0 ... &tw=1&ts=9 came.

xKime
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher
Posts: 300
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:16 am
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Contact:

Re: The best non-yakuman hand you've gotten?

Post by xKime » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:27 pm

Referee wrote:A near miss in a game I have just played. Game was going badly, but this would have saved me. In South 2-0 I was riiching for Menzen Ikkutsukan Pinfu, And my reaching discard was called for Riichi Pinfu Sanshoku Dora Dora, which is big part of the reason I was so far behind.

And then, http://tenhou.net/0/?log=2012082406gm-0 ... &tw=1&ts=9 came.
Are you sure you do not ingest any alcoholic beverages while you play or shortly before? Man, way to give away a good hand, surely can't blame luck in this instance.

I feel your pain, man. But that's how you learn.

Referee
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher
Posts: 380
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:24 pm

Re: The best non-yakuman hand you've gotten?

Post by Referee » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:04 am

Which one are you talking about?

Post Reply