New IRC Channel about Riichi

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

zzo38
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

New IRC Channel about Riichi

Post by zzo38 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:04 pm

I have set up a IRC channel you can use for this. If any administration of this forum would like the topic message changed, please post it here, I will change it. Edit by moderator: There is no need for this anymore, but I leave this sentence for log.
If you need any other help, use the HELP FAQ command and/or post here. Please note all messages sent to that channel are publicly logged.

Channel info:
  • Host: zzo38computer.cjb.net
  • Port: 194
  • Channel: +RIICHI
(If you would rather run the server program on your own computer, wait until I released the codes, and then you can compile it (and if you need to do so, even modify it) on your own computer.)

Edit by moderator:
The IRC chan is now named +RIICHI and do not pretend to be related to ReachMahjong.com.
The welcoming message is: "The topic for +RIICHI is: Japanese Riichi Mahjong"
Last edited by Shirluban on Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: PM from zzo38 asking to do so.

Senechal
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Re: Reach Mahjong now has IRC Channel

Post by Senechal » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:20 pm

Did you try talking to an admin about this? By your post, it sounds like you didn't. It's rude to assume that your initiative will be supported post-facto just by plugging the name of the forum to an idea you had.

Also, you got banned in the other #mahjong channel in 10 minutes, 10 lines. No one will support an effort born from a passive-aggressive retaliation. Sorry.

zzo38
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by zzo38 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:26 am

Senechal wrote:Did you try talking to an admin about this? By your post, it sounds like you didn't. It's rude to assume that your initiative will be supported post-facto just by plugging the name of the forum to an idea you had.
No, but it exists anyways. Any admin here can do with it what they like. (To change the topic message requires you to notify me because topic messages for + type channels must be stored in the configuration file, and I am the only person who has any access to that file). I probably should have contacted an admin, but I am unsure how I should have done so (or which admin to send message). This message does ask for an admin, in fact! If posted here in public, all admin can read at once.
Also, you got banned in the other #mahjong channel in 10 minutes, 10 lines. No one will support an effort born from a passive-aggressive retaliation. Sorry.
Other mahjong channel? Does that one belong to this forum? Are there logs of that other channel? Also, nobody will get banned from this new channel.

Anyone else can also create additional channels, but they won't have topic messages or be automatically logged by the server, unless I make them so.

PS: Also, an unrelated comment to this, but, shouldn't the Sample Locked Forum and Sample Review On Forum be removed now, they are only for testing the software, isn't it? And have no use here.

Senechal
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Senechal » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:16 pm

zzo38 wrote:No, but it exists anyways. Any admin here can do with it what they like. (To change the topic message requires you to notify me because topic messages for + type channels must be stored in the configuration file, and I am the only person who has any access to that file). I probably should have contacted an admin, but I am unsure how I should have done so (or which admin to send message). This message does ask for an admin, in fact! If posted here in public, all admin can read at once.
Still justifying the fact that you went ahead, and are attempting to corral the users of RM.com to your personal initiative. Poaching isn't cool. There are other riichi resources that exist, but I don't go out of my way to spam or coerce people into believing that RM.com could/should/would support such initiatives.
Other mahjong channel? Does that one belong to this forum?
The other channel doesn't belong. PROTIP: Yours neither.
Are there logs of that other channel? Also, nobody will get banned from this new channel.
Yes there are logs held by the users. Bans occur for good reasons. It is pretty rare for people like you to spam half the userlist after being banned though (you didn't spam me, but there were at least 15 active users who were wondering why you kept bothering them, thus the passive-aggressiveness of your post).
Anyone else can also create additional channels, but they won't have topic messages or be automatically logged by the server, unless I make them so.
Who said it would be a good idea to let you make it so? Oh wait, you did.

If RM.com wanted to see you with power, they would have given you some. If you were semi-interested, you would have applied to the Moderator search last July. (And before you ask, I didn't wave my Yakitori mod days around because I thought it was best to keep out given my current affiliations.)

Imagetl;dr: If there is a RM.com IRC channel of some kind, some day, it will come from the top. Not you.Image

zzo38
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by zzo38 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:05 pm

Senechal wrote:
zzo38 wrote:No, but it exists anyways. Any admin here can do with it what they like. (To change the topic message requires you to notify me because topic messages for + type channels must be stored in the configuration file, and I am the only person who has any access to that file). I probably should have contacted an admin, but I am unsure how I should have done so (or which admin to send message). This message does ask for an admin, in fact! If posted here in public, all admin can read at once.
Still justifying the fact that you went ahead, and are attempting to corral the users of RM.com to your personal initiative. Poaching isn't cool. There are other riichi resources that exist, but I don't go out of my way to spam or coerce people into believing that RM.com could/should/would support such initiatives.
No. I asking here in public because I don't know how many admints there are! Please read the subject line!
Other mahjong channel? Does that one belong to this forum?
The other channel doesn't belong. PROTIP: Yours neither.
I believe you. (If it did belong, an admin would have said so or put it in the heading?)
Are there logs of that other channel? Also, nobody will get banned from this new channel.
Yes there are logs held by the users. Bans occur for good reasons. It is pretty rare for people like you to spam half the userlist after being banned though (you didn't spam me, but there were at least 15 active users who were wondering why you kept bothering them, thus the passive-aggressiveness of your post).
I meant public logs. (I didn't see any mentioned?) Why not you? Because of the order of the NAMES list (the server lists them in that way; and I am unsure why that is). The reason no bans can occur on this new channel is because it is a modeless channel (that is what the + sign means), meaning commands such as MODE and KICK cannot be used with it. Users can set a filter in their IRC client to filter out message they do not like. In case of someone over flooding the server (unrelated to the channel), I can forcibly disconnect them, but I cannot ban them from any channel, nor can anyone else. The channel isn't mine, it only belongs on my server, meaning I can configure topic messages in the configuration file (TOPIC messages for + type channels are not configurable at runtime).
Who said it would be a good idea to let you make it so? Oh wait, you did.
I can make it so only because it is my computer. But I won't do so just for no reason!
If RM.com wanted to see you with power, they would have given you some. If you were semi-interested, you would have applied to the Moderator search last July. (And before you ask, I didn't wave my Yakitori mod days around because I thought it was best to keep out given my current affiliations.)
I am not interested in being moderators or administrators here. I also think the current ones do a good job at the current time, and they don't need any more. (If anything, I would be more interested in doing any programming they might need.) Also, I don't have any power here and never implied it. (I don't have any power on the channel other than configuring the topic message, and I generally won't do so unless an admin asks. I am not a channel operator there, I cannot op, half-op, voice, or ban anyone. I am a server operator, but that is not the same thing as a channel operator.) Also, I don't know about your Yakitori mod days (but that's OK).

If an administator (not you!) asks me (publicly, on this topic), I will drop the channel I created for this purpose. And then it will become a normal channel, with no topic message and no server logs, not existing unless someone is connected to it.

Shirluban

Re: Reach Mahjong now IRC Channel (proposed; admin please re

Post by Shirluban » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:54 pm

I have set up a IRC channel you can use for this. If any administration of this forum would like the topic message changed, please post it here, I will change it.

1) Is this IRC channel supposed to be about "ReachMahjong.com" specifically, or just about "Reach Mahjong" in general?
(please note that the first one is an internet site+forum, the second one is just another name for Japanese Majong)

If it's supposed to be related to/part of ReachMahjong.com, doing this without asking to any admin first is very very rude.
If it's just an homonym, and don't pretend to be related to this site, the welcoming message "(10:26:28 PM) The topic for +REACHMAHJONG is: Reach Mahjong: The Only way to Play!" is plagiarism.

I probably should have contacted an admin, but I am unsure how I should have done so (or which admin to send message). This message does ask for an admin, in fact! If posted here in public, all admin can read at once.
Yes, you should have.
Did you see the "Members" link in the top-right of each page? If you click on it, the seven first user names to appears are:
phpbb2admin, admin, jenn, gemma, garthe, Gem, deJENNerate
I think you're here since enough time to spot at least 3 names of admins, without talking about the two with "admin" on it.
If not, 4 are in bold red, including the 2 labeled "admin". If you still have doubt, click on this red bold "jenn" and read "This account is for admin purposes only". You can also read "Contact jenn" and "PM: Send private message".
Donno to who send a simple private message? Send it to all you think about, it's harmless.

So, please don't say you didn't know how to contact an admin, you obviously didn't even try!

Also, you got banned in the other #mahjong channel
Other mahjong channel? Does that one belong to this forum? Are there logs of that other channel?
zzo38: Saying that is like saying "Yah I get banned, but you didn't have a proof". Looks like you're shooting a bullet on your own foot.
Senechal: Knowing who's get banned from where didn't add much into the discussion. You would have better not posting it here. If you think it's worth interest, you are free to PM an admin of course.

--------------
Whatever, creating a mahjong IRC channel is certainly a good idea.
Making it falsely related to a site/forum without asking any one about it before is certainly a bad idea.
Now we have to wait until an admin have time to read this topic and judge (I e-mailed Jenn and Gemma).

And we will wait in silence, because it's clearly turning into a dumb war and this is definitively not the place for it.
Topic locked

Edit: Topic moved to "Reach Mahjong" (and not "reachmahjong.com"), and unlocked.
Please don't prove me it was a mistake to unlock it.
And re-read the first post, it have been edited
Cats don't do タンヤオ (tan-yao) but タニャーオ (ta-nya-o).
World Riichi Championship Rules 2022
Comparison of riichi rules around the world