YMI Black Riichi Set

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

Gamegrunt
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

YMI Black Riichi Set

Post by Gamegrunt » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:00 am

I own three Mahjong sets, but none of them are riichi. I know I can play Riichi Mahjong with any of them, but I\'d like a set that (at least) was of the smaller dimensions of the sets offered from Japan and have red fives. The YMI set in black looks mighty attractive...

http://www.ymimports.com/p-766-japanese ... tiles.aspx

and is being offered with free shipping on Ebay. I own a YMI set (one of the Vietnamese sets, and it\'s very nice, but large). Does anyone own one of these? From the dimensions of the box that they give it sounds about right, but YMI can get dimensions wrong in their advertising - my Vietnamese set was significantly larger then billed.

I\'d much prefer a set made in Japan, but the prices...

Gg

zzo38
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Re:YMI Black Riichi Set

Post by zzo38 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:43 am

I have a YMI white Japanese mahjong set. It is OK in most ways. But, there is one problem with it, the back and front is the same color (so if you have a blank tile, you have to turn it to see what it is and it can be problem in case you turn it and then the opponent can see that you have one of them). There are a few ways to deal with it:
  • Mark the blank tiles. However, the marks come off too easily.
  • Omit the blank tiles from the game.
  • Use the flowers in place of blanks.
  • Play a variant where blank tiles in your hand must be exposed to all players at all times (in this situation, you could also treat blanks as extra doras if you wanted to).

Gamegrunt
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Gamegrunt » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:05 am

With the blank-styled white dragons that are conventional in Japan, I have a problem as well with tiles that do not feature colored backs as is the case with the YMI sets - the white dragons will wear differently since either side is subject to the effects of \"washing.\"

Gg

FixxeR
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by FixxeR » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:11 am

I have the black set. I don\'t feel that the one color tiles are a problem, since when you suspect that a tile is facing it\'s back against you, you can just feel the opposite side to see if it\'s a white dragon or not - this way there\'s no need to turn it around. Not that it\'s likely to happen at all as you\'d notice immediately if a tile is facing the wrong way when building the wall..

Of course there might be a situation where you need to confirm that you are really discarding the white dragon by showing both sides to other players :D

They are basically the same size as regular japanese tiles, maybe a millimeter or two narrower but one or two thicker than those, and this is compared to the Take set. Take tiles have a better \"feel\" in them since they are a bit heavier than YMI tiles. Not a big problem though.

Gamegrunt
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Gamegrunt » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:58 pm

FixxeR wrote:They are basically the same size as regular japanese tiles, maybe a millimeter or two narrower but one or two thicker than those, and this is compared to the Take set. Take tiles have a better "feel" in them since they are a bit heavier than YMI tiles. Not a big problem though.
Fix, this was what I needed, and it is especially useful since I muse about ordering a Take set...oh, if only I could justify it at this time! The YMI set is no doubt a great value for the price - everyone who has seen my Vietnamese set is impressed with its looks and features. The YMI Riichi sets have the same symbols - they appear to be from the same factory that makes their other fine sets repackaged in a Riichi format. You get red doras, and the Riichi wind marker and an approximation of the Japanese sized tiles, but it still lacks the authenticity of the sets Made in Japan. I will stay my mouse-clicking, online purchasing hand and hold off buying at this time. If I add a 4th set to my collection I would like it to be unique - the YMI set isn\'t quite the real deal.

Gg

Gamegrunt
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Gamegrunt » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:36 pm

FixxeR wrote: Take tiles have a better "feel" in them since they are a bit heavier than YMI tiles. Not a big problem though.
The Take Set is billed as weighing in at 2000g, which figures out to approximately 13.9 g/tile. Could you determine the mass of the YMI tiles and get back to me about it? :silly:

Gg

b4k4ni04
Junior Reacher
Junior Reacher

Post by b4k4ni04 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:55 pm

Don\'t forget the actual case, the 4 open boxes each suit sits in, the scoring tiles, etc etc :P.
〜〜〜星空が最高の舞台/カラスたちカーカーと鳴くよ/いつも思うよ いつ寝てるんだろ〜〜〜 I'm sorry teh b4k4 is lost to GlDeMo please try again later *bzzt* 〜b4k4

FixxeR
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by FixxeR » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:02 pm

Sure, once I get rid of this flu that\'s been bugging me for a while.. Of course I need some method to determine the weight first, hope you\'re not in a hurry :P

Gamegrunt
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Gamegrunt » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:57 pm

FixxeR wrote:Sure, once I get rid of this flu that\'s been bugging me for a while.. Of course I need some method to determine the weight first, hope you\'re not in a hurry :P
Fix, you needn\'t weigh any tiles on my account - I was merely making a "tongue-in-cheek" remark. I gather that the Take tiles have greater mass/density properties and that\'s good enough for me.

Gg

wyce
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by wyce » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:08 am

My friend bought a black set recently and in terms of quality, i find it\'s pretty crap. The tiles look like it was made by some 12 year-old :/
Sorry if i offended anyone\'s black set.

FixxeR
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by FixxeR » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:30 am

My black set is very offended by your comment! ;)

I\'m curious what you felt was wrong with the set. Not that it really matters to me as I was pleased with my set.

Just remembered a certain manufacturing error on one of the 3 man tiles. The tile is somewhat scuffed from the backside, I didn\'t think of it too much when I had bought the set, but now it annoys me a bit since it\'s so distinctive (for me at least, since I know to look for it lol).

Gamegrunt
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Gamegrunt » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:45 am

wyce wrote:My friend bought a black set recently and in terms of quality, i find it\'s pretty crap. The tiles look like it was made by some 12 year-old :/
Sorry if i offended anyone\'s black set.
There is no question that YMI sets are little more than OK - they make no attempt to meet the quality standards of the Japanese sets and have the same appearance as all of their sets. Having said that, I am satisfied with the Vietnamese set they offered because of all the jokers (there are 160 tiles in the set) and the extra tiles make playing Mhing possible.

I\'m real close to "pulling the trigger" on ordering a set from Japan - I\'ll pass on YMI\'s set.

Gg