Melded kan

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

Mauro
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Melded kan

Post by Mauro » Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:05 am

The rule to extend a kan says:
A melded pung may be extended to a melded kong in a player’s turn after the player has taken a tile from the wall or a replacement tile, i.e. not in a turn where a tile was claimed for chow or pung. [...] The tile used to extend the pung counts as a discard, and can be claimed for a win
While playing, there was a disagreement on what this means:

- can I claim a discarded tile to extend the kan, or it has to be from the wall or a replacement tile?

- since the tile used to extend the pon counts as a discard, can I claim it also for a simple chii which doesn't give me a win?

- since the tile used to extend the pon counts as a discard, can it put the player in furiten?

Shirluban

Re: Melded kan

Post by Shirluban » Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:38 pm

This rulepoint is ... not very well written.
It's quite the other way round.
"The tile used to extend the pung can be claimed for a win; in that case it counts as a discard."
The rulebook must have a section called "Robbing the kong" explaining it more.

When you extend a melded pung into a kong, other players may claim the new tile to win.
If they do, it is counted as a win by calling a tile (ron) and the player extending the kong is considered to be the discarder.

But:
- can I claim a discarded tile to extend the kan, or it has to be from the wall or a replacement tile?
No. You can only extend a kan with a tile drawn from the wall (live wall, or a replacement tile).

- since the tile used to extend the pon counts as a discard, can I claim it also for a simple chii which doesn't give me a win?
No. You can only rob a kan to win.

- since the tile used to extend the pon counts as a discard, can it put the player in furiten?
No. It only count as discarded when another player robs it, ending the hand.

May I suggest another rulebook, more recent and hopefully easier to read?
https://worldriichi.org/wrc-rules
Cats don't do タンヤオ (tan-yao) but タニャーオ (ta-nya-o).
World Riichi Championship Rules 2022
Comparison of riichi rules around the world

Mauro
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Re: Melded kan

Post by Mauro » Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:22 pm

Thanks, I'll read it!