two years: a look back

Japanese Reach Mahjong Rules. Strategy, news, sets - anything!

Moderator: Shirluban

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

two years: a look back

Post by or2az » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:35 pm

Aug 20, 2015....time flies.
Today marks the completion of my 2nd year on the forum, and to be honest, I never thought it would go this far. Initially, all I really wanted to do was to find out how to unlock characters in a game where I didn't understand the language, so I had to seek help any way I could, which at the time, was turning out to be a real adventure. When I found out (by accident, from Bart, via email), that there was an english forum for japanese mahjong that contained a review of the game I was playing, I checked it out, joined, and made my first post. viewtopic.php?f=18&t=53059#p56419
This was a great review of the game from a year before, but unfortunately, it wasn't enough, and the originator of the thread wasn't posting anymore.
When someone (Ignatius) generously offered to translate for me, I took advantage of it. That's how "severely in need of an english translation" got started, and after a month, I had 25 posts, and I remember thinking, "wow, that's a lot, I hope nobody minds". And nobody did. Everyone was so willing to help and that made it a lot easier to keep asking question after question after question, some of which seem so basic to me now, as I look back at them.
As I became more involved, I started asking specific gameplay questions regarding rules and wwyd situations, and about basically everything else that was related to the game. One thing led to another, and before you knew it, two years later, I'm sitting here a lot more knowledgeable and experienced, with quite a bit more posts to my name. Unbelievable!
I have to admit it feels very good to have the confidence to answer questions as well as ask them, and even to teach and promote the game to others.
A year ago, I thought that saki was just a japanese rice drink, never heard of Akagi, and thought an anime was just a cartoon. Things change.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=50617&start=15#p57996
During the past year, I learned how to navigate my way through Tenhou (viewtopic.php?f=51&t=53360#p58288) and also managed to pick up 2 more smaller mahjong sets along the way. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=53280&start=30#p58164.
Have actually started using my big-tile set on a regular basis, initially, for chinese mahjong, but recently, I finally got to remove the flowers and flip a dora and have been playing japanese with people I've taught. So far, I've managed to get 4 of the chinese mahjong players to play riichi...... most of the time....depending on who shows up. viewtopic.php?f=14&t=53318#p58721
As a side benefit of playing the game, and being involved with the forum, I also became a bit more familiar with japanese culture and customs, the language, geography, and even food. viewtopic.php?f=14&t=53353#p58213
Even had a minor forum suggestion adopted for use. viewtopic.php?f=16&t=53370#p58377
It's been a fun and interesting ride. I appreciate you taking it with me. I'm still playing quite a bit on the Kiwame app, over 4000 games now, along with a weekly live-people game, where I find myself sometimes trying to answer as many questions as I have asked,...well,...almost.....but not quite. So far, due to the excellent feedback here, I have been lucky enough to come up with the right answers.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=53413&start=15#p58753
Overall, the 2nd years journey was as exciting as the 1st, considering that two years ago, I knew absolutely nothing about japanese style mahjong. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=53313#p57746
My thanks again to all of you for your help in making this happen. You know who you are.
..........................................................................................................Steve
images.jpg
images.jpg (6.54 KiB) Viewed 5060 times

Shirluban

Re: two years: a look back

Post by Shirluban » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:59 pm

Happy bi-anniversary ! :mrgreen:
Cats don't do タンヤオ (tan-yao) but タニャーオ (ta-nya-o).
World Riichi Championship Rules 2022
Comparison of riichi rules around the world

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Post by Ignatius » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:08 pm

I´m glad you´re happy here.
You helped me in turn, as I had something to translate (and it was, mostly, short things I could handle). So thanks. :)

Shirluban: A bi-anniversary doesn´t mean you do two anniversaries at the same time? Shouldn´t be second anniversary? (just trolling I swear it! :P )
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:42 am

Not that it matters, since it's the thought that counts, but I believe you are both correct.
Thanks guys.

Bianniversary:
The celebration of two years.
They got together on christmas 2005, so their bianniversary was on christmas 2007.