WWYD 2015-09-14

Discussions about the What Would You Discard/Do from the main page.
Your own WWYD are also welcome.

Moderator: Shirluban

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

WWYD 2015-09-14

Post by or2az » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:13 am

Edited by moderator: This post is split from this other WWYD: viewtopic.php?f=49&t=52933

I had a similar hand today, which presented the same kind of problem, which is why I went searching for a WWYD.
Again, 5 pairs, rest of the hand well connected, and still not sure which way to go, especially with North tempting me with that 9-crak discard for an open toi-toi. Should probably resist.
Would like to hear your opinions on both of these situations, my new one, and maybe a fresh look at that 4 year old WWYD.
Consider if that yakuhai dora 3 pung of 9-cracks weren't there, how would that change your opinion? Or would it?
phpR6WHcnAM.jpg
phpR6WHcnAM.jpg (33.47 KiB) Viewed 7645 times

Mauro
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Re: WWYD 2015-09-14

Post by Mauro » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:09 am

I wouldn't pon 9-crak: I'd prefer to be able to defend better, and I don't like the idea of starting toitoi so late in the game without triplets; I would remain open for chii toitsu, which is nice, and if I draw 5-crak or 8-crak I'm tenpai (albeit I'm not sure I'd riichi, with one 1-dot and one 9-crak in the ponds it's a bad wait; drawing 5-crak I wouldn't, since I would already have a yaku).

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Re: WWYD 2015-09-14

Post by or2az » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:39 pm

Good plan. I didn't really intend this hand as a wwyd but rather as an illustration comparing two situations, each with 5 pairs, where in one of them, the goal and choice of discard seemed a lot more definitive than in the other. It was mentioned that 5 people chose "other" as a discard in the original and obviously, that strong mangan potential by South was also present and probably had a lot to do with the wide variety of discard choices, and why I was finding it difficult.
I was also curious about if that mangan potential was not there, and the situation was more in line with my similar illustration, how the choice of discard might have changed. I assume this wasn't obvious so the post was split. No problem.