WWYD 2014-06-22

Discussions about the What Would You Discard/Do from the main page.
Your own WWYD are also welcome.

Moderator: Shirluban

Nya~

You may select 1 option

View results

Shirluban

WWYD 2014-06-22

Post by Shirluban » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:45 pm

Cats don't do タンヤオ (tan-yao) but タニャーオ (ta-nya-o).
World Riichi Championship Rules 2022
Comparison of riichi rules around the world

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Re: WWYD 2014-06-22

Post by or2az » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:56 am

3rd hand of the south round and down by 20,000 points, gonna need a really good hand to get back into this one, 4 han, at least, I think.
A half flush looks tempting but I would have to give up the red five and the dots look dangerous. The 1-crak in my discards also could be furiten trouble later on.

I would toss the 2-crak and go for broke with riichi, possible tsumo, dora, and San Ankou (3 concealed pungs) with possible west winds. (and a shot at the ura dora)

With luck in drawing another 5-dot for the pair (three still left), toi-toi (with west winds) might also suffice.
Go ahead, fire away!

Note: South has melded white dragons and tossed the dora so there might not be time for any of this. He could be ready.

facai168
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Re: WWYD 2014-06-22

Post by facai168 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:08 pm

:west

With this point situation, you want to aim for mangan hand to avoid going into all last as last place. The route with highest probability is discarding west pair and going for riichi, pinfu, dora + ippeikou/uradora possibility. The other route is to go for half flush, where with riichi you can have guaranteed mangan and possible haneman, but then your ukeire is reduced from 11 to 6, which is a huge decrease, especially considering South is probably already tenpai or at least 1 away. Also, if you go for half flush, you would not call tiles to make a 2000/3900 hand, so discarding west is the fastest path to tenpai without sacrificing too much in potential value.