WWYD 2014-04-07

Discussions about the What Would You Discard/Do from the main page.
Your own WWYD are also welcome.

Moderator: Shirluban

Ozball
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

WWYD 2014-04-07

Post by Ozball » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:26 am

Here's this week's problem. As usual I'll post the results and pro response when they're out on the 17th of April.

"Furiten is the most holiest!" - Garthe Nelson

Online Ranks
Tenhou Rating: Ozball - 1608 - 2nd dan

Old Ranks
MFC: オズボール - Seiryu (Blue Dragon) Master
MFC JPML Rank: 3rd kyu
Ron2 Rating: Ozball - 1335 League: Bronze

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Re: WWYD 2014-04-07

Post by or2az » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:42 am

I would have to keep the 5 pairs in my hand for the seven pairs/toi-toi options, along with the red five. That leaves me with only 3 tiles left for my discard.
Of these, I choose the 6-crak and see what happens next.
From the score, it looks like any quick win will do, like white dragons plus a dora, assuming this is south 4.

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Post by Ignatius » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:16 am

It's oorasu, south 4. I would do the same as Or2az. But I'll cut 3-crak. I don't know if it's the best answer, board games are not my forte. Everybody is cutting terminals and near tiles, I would like to start doing this to try to trap them with the 8-crak or something. But this is just the start. So let's play and see...
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

Masa
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Masa » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:41 am

I would discard 3-dot
7pairs is only 1,600, you can not discard red 5 without riichi.
To see other pond, looks like going to tanyao form. so that can not expect 5p I think.Also maybe this game has 2 x red 5p right ?

My aim is fanpai dora 1(345) or honitsu. Maybe I can make pon of 1m and hopely chi of 678m or 8m pon

Ozball
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Ozball » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:07 am

I'm with or2az on this one. I'd cut the 6-crak . My goal is two han to get into first place. There are many possible ways to get it: 7 pairs, double yakuhai, yaku/dora, toi-toi, honitsu being the main possibilities.

I'd probably aim for either yaku/yaku or yaku/dora with a backup of either toi-toi or honitsu. But it depends on what comes up first. If another 5-dot comes then I'll go for a quiet chitoitsu (ie no reach) otherwise I'll open on any of the pairs that gets discarded or if the 4-dot comes from my left. Would then discard the 3-pin, which while it inhibits toi-toi, all we need is 1 extra yaku on top of one of the yakuhai (we'll need at least one to complete the hand unless we discard one of the pairs). The one yaku can either come from a 4-dot giving us the red 5 Dora, or if worst comes to worst and we don't get a 4p then we can discard the 3p and 5p and get our one (two) yaku from honitsu. As soon as we open we'll need to discard three tiles to get to tenpai (including the one from opening) and the 34m is easier to complete than the 35p. Note that if I end up opening on the 3-dot then I'd discard the red 5 and aim for yaku/yaku or toi-toi.

Slight tangent:
This is just my thinking behind why I chose the 3p as my second discard.
I'd say the 33p and 35p are roughly equal in ease to complete. The 3 pair only has two tiles to complete it, but has twice as many "draws" since you technically have 4 possible places to get it from (your tsumo and all three opponents' discards). While the 35p has twice as many tiles, but only two "draws" (yours and West's discard) . However the 34m has twice as many tiles as the 35p while having tbe same number of draws. Making it more favorable than it and by extension the 3 pair.

Masa: Yup, it uses the Mahjong Fight Club rules which includes two red 5p.

Online Ranks

Old Ranks

Ozball
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Ozball » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:17 am

Here are the results for this problem. Apologies for the delay, I had a busy week/weekend. I haven't had a chance to properly do the translation so I've left it out for now. Will try and get it done later today, though if someone wants to translate it before then they're welcome to.

<Translation to go here>

Online Ranks

Old Ranks

Masa
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Masa » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:35 am

What he is saying

I would discard 3p

Thinking about which kind of yaku makes 2000 points, following 3 kinds of yaku can be imagined.
"Yaku/Yaku" or "Yaku/Red 5" or "Honitsu".
Discarding pair of 1m is efficient to aim 2000. However trying to make open for internal tiles(3-7) is difficult and speed is not enough in the actual battle field.
So that set the mind as 1st priority is honitsu, Changing to Yaku/Red5 if I get 4p. This is the best way to get 1st position.
7 pairs is also can be considered because of 1 shanten. But It should be given up by reason of Red5p will be bottle neck and lacking of speed.

Hisato Sasaki Pro 4 dan