WWYD 2012-02-16

Discussions about the What Would You Discard/Do from the main page.
Your own WWYD are also welcome.

Moderator: Shirluban

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

WWYD 2012-02-16

Post by or2az » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:51 am

Time for my mahjong lesson. Here is a situation where I wasn't sure of what to discard.
I decided on the 8-crak because there were two 9-crak showing on the table. But what if there wasn't??
Anyway, I drew the 1-crak and I was in the same fix all over again. What do I discard?
This time, I weakened and tossed out the red 5-dot
It made it through but 2 turns later, east ronned south for more than 1200, won the game, and I came in 2nd.
What say you?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (202.8 KiB) Viewed 10664 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (206 KiB) Viewed 10664 times

Ozball
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Re: WWYD 2012-02-16

Post by Ozball » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:52 am

First case I'd probably toss the 4-bam it doesn't bring you any closer to tenpai, and you have 4 mentsu with good waits already ( 2-crak 3-crak , 7-crak 8-crak , 1-dot 2-dot 3-dot , 3-bam 4-bam) so you should be aiming for Pinfu tossing the second 7-crak and then the red 5-dot as you get closer to tenpai. So unless a tile completes any of the above mentsu then chuck it. The only exception is if you draw a 4-dot before you toss the red 5, in which case you can break on of the other incomplete mentsu at that time since you're replacing it with another of the same kind and it doesn't change you distance from tenpai.

In the second example, again chuck the 4-bam. The two way wait setup is better unless you're going for all pairs (and you shouldn't be in this case.

Written on my phone in a rush so sorry for any typos.
"Furiten is the most holiest!" - Garthe Nelson

Online Ranks
Tenhou Rating: Ozball - 1608 - 2nd dan

Old Ranks
MFC: オズボール - Seiryu (Blue Dragon) Master
MFC JPML Rank: 3rd kyu
Ron2 Rating: Ozball - 1335 League: Bronze

Iapetus
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Iapetus » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:36 pm

The hand already has 2 dora, so sacrificing speed for a red 5p chance is unnecessary. The only meaningful thing it can grant is a pinfu dora3 dama ron on 1st or 3rd, a fairly rare case. It's better to take the fastest possible future iishanten. Drop the red 5.

7m or 4s as Ozball suggests is still ok. 8m like you did was really bad - even with 2 9m down, 69m is still a great wait.

Referee
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Referee » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:52 pm

Second hand, if draw 2-bam , discard dora 1-bam for Sanshoku?

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:06 pm

All good suggestions. Thanks guys. Only, I dont quite see why my discard of the 8-crak was REALLY BAD instead of NOT THAT GOOD, unless, it has something to do with going for pinfu. I just wanted to cry. (just kidding)

Ozball
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Ozball » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:40 am

or2az wrote:All good suggestions. Thanks guys. Only, I dont quite see why my discard of the 8-crak was REALLY BAD instead of NOT THAT GOOD, unless, it has something to do with going for pinfu. I just wanted to cry. (just kidding)
It partially has to do with going for Pinfu but only because it's an issue of waits and number of tiles.

If you discard the 8-crak then you're essentially aiming for chitoitsu (Seven Pairs) which is still three tiles away from tenpai (same as if you'd gone for Pinfu) but your final wait will be a lot worse. The best you can hope for us a three tile wait on a 3-crak, 3-dot or 5-dot. (assuming none get discarded in the time it takes you to get to tenpai)

Where as if you discard the 4-bam, the 7-crak or the 5-dot you're looking at a 7 tile wait on the 2-bam / 5-bam and still a 6 tile wait on either the 1-crak / 4-crak wait or the 6-crak / 9-crak wait. All of which are at least double the number of tiles you'd be waiting on for chitoitsu. If you go for something in between (Eg something with a closed triple in it) the you're sacrificing 1-Han from Pinfu for it. While San Ankou (three concealed triples) would be worth more than Pinfu, the number of tiles available to get you to tenpai with it are quite low, and are not really worth the risk)

Edit: also I think there is something with the number of tiles available to get you to tenpai in there somewhere. Eg while chitoitsu starts with more than Pinfu it drops of a lot faster as you get closer to tenpai. But I don't have the time at the moment to run the numbers to properly prove it. Might add it tonight if I have time.

Online Ranks

Old Ranks

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:47 am

When I tossed the 8-crak , I never even thought about seven pairs. I saw that two nines were out and didn't want to get burned by tossing the 7-crak or the red 5.
( Unfortunately, I neglected the 4 6-crak that were still around). I had 2 doras ( maybe 3), there were still 46 tiles left at the time, and I was only 3000 pts back. I wanted the quick win to get back in the lead and when I drew the 1-crak, I had to toss the red 5. didn't matter anyway.
Incidentally, directly underneath the number of tiles left is another word x 0. What does that refer to?

Ozball
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Ozball » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:27 am

It translates roughly to "bar deposit". (or maybe deposited bars?) My guess is that it's the number of reach sticks that are in the pot currently due to a draw the previous round when someone reached.

Online Ranks

Old Ranks

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:05 am

That helped. Found the info in Barticles guide (p27). KYOTAKU, or Reach Bank. A deposit area for riichi scoring sticks. Good job. Thanks