WWYD 2013-12-07

Discussions about the What Would You Discard/Do from the main page.
Your own WWYD are also welcome.

Moderator: Shirluban

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

WWYD 2013-12-07

Post by or2az » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:59 pm

What would you discard? The 4-bam , 6-bam ,or 5-bam ? Seven pairs on a single wait or double chow on a shanpon wait? Note the dora indicator.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (217.26 KiB) Viewed 11696 times

Referee
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Re: WWYD 2013-12-07

Post by Referee » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:58 am

Is this hanchan or east-only?

I'd say, given that we're on the lead by a sizeable margin, the fastest one. In this case it is the riichi iipeikou with a shanpon wait. Both alternatives are three tiles, but people might be reluctant to throw in middle souzu based on what oya is showing. You have discards that are close to your waits, so trying to change one of your non-sou pairs into a ryanmen for pinfu could land you in furiten.

PS: All seven pairs are on a single wait. :P

Ozball
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Ozball » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:48 am

I'd personally discard the 5-bam. You're going to be waiting on 3 tiles (actual tiles, not types) regardless of what you choose, but noone is throwing Souzu (Bamboo) and one is already showing two open chiis of them. While people are discarding mid-high pinzu (dots) so I'd feel the 7-dot I'd more likely to come than any of the souzu. Same with the 4-crak.
"Furiten is the most holiest!" - Garthe Nelson

Online Ranks
Tenhou Rating: Ozball - 1608 - 2nd dan

Old Ranks
MFC: オズボール - Seiryu (Blue Dragon) Master
MFC JPML Rank: 3rd kyu
Ron2 Rating: Ozball - 1335 League: Bronze

Kyuu
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Kyuu » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:32 pm

Hanchan or Tonpussen. You have the lead here.

Why not just dama a chiitoitsu? Discard either 4-bam or 6-bam. Then give yourself the opportunity to improve the tanki, with an offwind wait, dora, or something like that.

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:16 pm

The game was hanchan. I hit riichi and discarded the 5-bam . Dealer did not claim it. I didnt win the hand, neither did the dealer. I didnt provide the winning tile. I did eventually win the match.
I thought about going the other way, for seven pairs, hence the reason for the WWYD, but I never considered not calling riichi or trying to improve the resulting single wait as this would have given the dealer another shot at claiming a bam discard, of which he had 2 chows already showing.

hmm
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by hmm » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:07 pm

I wouldn't discard any of those tiles. You're in first place and bamboos aren't safe against any of the other players, especially the dealer. Granted the dealer's hand is probably not ready yet and/or cheap, but why risk it at this point? You're hand is only going to be worth about 1600. Reaching won't make it worth considerably more unless you get lucky and significantly increases your chances into dealing into a large hand.
The dealer is going for a half possibly full suit hand, the 456s are also tiles needed by him for a full straight. The bonus tile is live and south could easily have a set. Even if you don't lose on the discard it could be stolen and lead to the dealer'scomeback win, don't help him out of his hole.
I'd play the hand safe and discard one of the 7p, the hand is flexible and you'd have a good chance to win with a better wait.

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:42 am

Interesting proposal. You are saying dont riichi , play it safe, toss the 7-dot (the other one would have to go,too) , give up tenpai, and go for a better wait.
What better wait did you have in mind and why do you think the 7-dot is safe? It could be as dangerous as any bam. No 6 or 8 showing in discards.
I still say riichi and go for it because you are 20,000 ahead and if the dealer does win (which he didnt), its only east 4th and you got the whole south round to increase your lead again.

hmm
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by hmm » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:23 am

34567s all would make the hand ready. Drawing the 4 or 6s would also make the hand a possible all runs two double run hand. That's 8000 without a reach, unlikely, but I like to dream. There are a number of other possibilities but they would all require discarding one of the bamboos, and discarding the the other 7p to avoid furiten. This play slows your hand down but I think trading speed for the safety and potential bigger hand are worthwhile in this situation.
I don't think 7p is particularly safe or dangerous, just less likely for me to end up dealing into a large hand then if I discard one of the bamboos or the 4m. Your 20500 pt lead over last will become a 3500 pt deficit if you deal into a dealer mangan. And your lead over 2nd and 3rd is smaller than that.

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:21 am

Okay, so you discard the 7-dot , get lucky and get back to tenpai by drawing another bam. Now you discard the other 7-dot . Assuming you're still in the game,
now what. you have nothing safe left to discard except the tiles you draw, which is the same as calling riichi. (but without the benefits)
Are you going to discard both of the 4-crak and go for a full flush. Not gonna happen.
Are you saying that you made a decision originally that you were not going to try to win, but to just not lose by getting "ronned" (and keep your lead)?
Seems like such a waste of a good hand.