WWYD

Discussions about the What Would You Discard/Do from the main page.
Your own WWYD are also welcome.

Moderator: Shirluban

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

WWYD

Post by or2az » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:19 pm

phpzZvNZ3AM.jpg
phpzZvNZ3AM.jpg (112.21 KiB) Viewed 12248 times
It's been so long I forgot how to set up one of these, so I will just ask.
WWYD?

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re: WWYD

Post by Barticle » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:10 pm

(Wow, it's actually been over three years since the last post on this WWYD board.

You used to add a survey with the tile icons as options. There's hardly enough active posters to make that worthwhile now - although perhaps some people who don't want to make a post would at least be happy to give a survey response?

I generally didn't participate in these threads either but I feel that I should probably step up now!)

I'd discard the 1 and 2, maybe the 2 first as that's slightly more useful to other players.

You keep two complete sets and a pair, leaving you with a couple of two-sided shapes.

Several of the tiles they need are gone, but if you were playing with red fives you might get one for the Dots.

1-crak 2-crak 3-crak - 4-crak 5-crak - 3-dot 4-dot - 6-dot 7-dot 8-dot - 9-dot 9-dot

It's probably not worth declaring Riichi but at least if you make Tenpai you have a chance for a Pinfu win or points in a draw.

You wouldn't have many chances to make the 123 Iipeikou and if you completed another set first you'd lose the Pinfu potential.

I'm wary that the player to the right could be hoarding Craks, although probably not with a half-flush / flush as they discarded honours first.

With all your ones and nines it's too late to drop all the terminals and rebuild for Tanyao. Maybe if you had more turns, several Dora and no other Yaku.

It'd be nice to work the Dots into a three-sided wait or Itsu but again it's getting late and three of the 2 are out already.
Last edited by Barticle on Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:01 am

You used to add a survey with the tile icons as options.
I did start out with "poll creation" and added each choice on a separate line as directed but when i hit submit, the little circles where people would vote for a choice were not there, so i deleted and abandoned the process.

As for the game, I thought about discarding the 2-crak first since one was already in the discard pile but as you said, the player on the right could be hoarding cracks.
I also was aware of the 123 iipeikou so I decided to keep the craks and dump my 9-dots, leaving me with
1-crak 1-crak 2-crak 2-crak 3-crak 4-crak 5-crak 3-dot 4-dot 6-dot 7-dot 8-dot plus whatever useful tile I might draw pre-discard of the 2nd 9-dot.
( 1-crak 3-crak 6-crak 2-dot 5-dot would be nice)
It was probably not the best move, but the game did end in a draw.
I do like your plan as a good alternative.
Thanks for stepping up!

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:28 am

Looked okay for me in preview at least.
george.JPG
george.JPG (15.26 KiB) Viewed 12218 times
(They're called "radio buttons" btw.)

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:39 am

Ok, I was using the tile symbols themselves, like 2-dot 3-dot 4-dot instead of writing out the actual words like 2 dot 3 dot 4 dot.
The radio buttons only showed up when I used the words.
I guess I forgot you had to do it that way.
3 years is a long time.
Thanks.
Screenshot_20191204-202835.jpg
Screenshot_20191204-202835.jpg (43.03 KiB) Viewed 12214 times

Referee
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Referee » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:32 am

Interesting. But Barticle, which 2-wan are you discarding? ;)

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:51 pm

WWYD = which would you discard? That is a valid question!

With a general principle of appearing strong when weak and vice versa, discarding an identical tile from your hand can break a string of discarded draws so it looks like you're still building your hand rather than Tenpai. In this example that would reinforce the Tedashi on the previous turn.

Then again, perhaps if you discard the drawn 2 it would appear - if anyone's actually paying attention - that the 8 discard was improving your existing Tenpai telegraphed by the four consecutive Tsumogiri before. It might give the impression that you had 6_8 and now have _56_ so that 4 and 7 seem most dangerous while your waits are elsewhere.

There is always potential for overanalysis. :)

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:57 pm

or2az wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:39 am
Ok, I was using the tile symbols themselves, [...] instead of writing out the actual words like 2 dot 3 dot 4 dot.
Remember to include the hyphen between the number and word if you want it to show the tile images in the poll section.

Ozball
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Ozball » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:53 pm

Extremely late to this party, apologies. I think I'm with Barticle on this one, and I'd throw the 2m (probably from within my hand). The chance of Iipeikou is slim, and even then we will almost certainly lose pinfu for it. So we're likely only going to get 2 han, so might as well go for the easier to win version (Riichi-Pinfu as opposed to Riichi-Iipeikou).
"Furiten is the most holiest!" - Garthe Nelson

Online Ranks
Tenhou Rating: Ozball - 1608 - 2nd dan

Old Ranks
MFC: オズボール - Seiryu (Blue Dragon) Master
MFC JPML Rank: 3rd kyu
Ron2 Rating: Ozball - 1335 League: Bronze