What would you discard?

Guides and beginner's help. If you're new to mahjong, this forum is for you. All questions are welcome - don't hesitate to ask.

Moderator: Shirluban

Mauro
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

What would you discard?

Post by Mauro » Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:08 pm

The playerd discarded 4-bam, waiting on 6-crak 9-crak 3-dot 6-dot for the last group, then tanki wait on 4-dot waiting for a better wait; he drew 6-bam and riichied.

I was thinking about 8-crak, waiting for 3-dot 6-dot for the last group and 4-bam 7-bam for the pair.

(In the end we both would have got to riichi: I had also tanyao and pinfu, but he won so I don't know if I'd have won with my hand.)
Attachments
20150913.jpg
20150913.jpg (133.03 KiB) Viewed 5907 times

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Re: What would you discard?

Post by Ignatius » Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:23 pm

Not knowing other players hands I would have discarded 9-bam . To wait to complete 7-crak 8-crak or 4-dot 5-dot sets. Then I would riichi discarding 8-bam , or even 5-bam . This way I would have Riichi+Pinfu guaranteed, and probably Tanyao, and maybe an Uradora, or something.

Well, as another player did Riichi before me, i probably would try to play Damaten: To play fully closed, without Riichi in Tenpai state.
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

Mauro
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Mauro » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:04 pm

Here I could either discard 6-crak 7-crak (or 3-crak 4-crak, but 6-crak 7-crak has one out less) and go for 2 han itsu with less waits; or discard 1-bam 2-bam and go for 1 han pinfu (and possibly tanyao, if I draw another 6-bam), with more waits but fewer han. What would you do? Would you chi 3-bam, if it was discarded?
Attachments
20150917.jpg
20150917.jpg (116.77 KiB) Viewed 5888 times

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Post by Ignatius » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:55 pm

Being so early in the game, I would toss the 1-bam in a try to obtain tanyao + pinfu. No doubt for me, then, if I have the chance, I would discard the 9-bam .

Maybe others consider different options.
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:40 pm

I would also toss the 1-bam . The 2-crak 5-crak 8-crak will complete that 3rd chow and there are 11 of them left.
After you draw one of them, toss the 2-bam , riichi pinfu.
To rely on that 3-bam for a straight doesn't seem like a good idea to me but if you do happen to draw the 3-bam or the 6-bam after you toss the 1-bam but before you riichi , you could toss the 9-bam to add tanyao to the mix and then riichi.

riichi,pinfu,tanyao,menzen ron-----3han, 30fu, for 3900 pts
riichi,pinfu,tanyao,menzen tsumo--4han, 20fu, for 5200 pts
About half as much without tanyao.

Now that I look at the point spread, I wonder if tossing one of the cracks and going for the straight should be considered.
If I get it, the point totals above would double (substituting ittsuu for tanyao).
I definitely would not chi the 3-bam and open the hand. Need to riichi. Could end up a mangan (5han,20fu or 4han, 30fu kiriage).
I hear Washizu laughing? Hold on. I just realized that you have to draw that 3-bam before you complete the crack chow or else it's a penchan wait on the 3-bam and no pinfu. (and no mangan). The odds don't favor you on that one.
Think I will stick to the original plan and toss the 1-bam.
It's only East 3. First part of a long journey is a single step.