Analysis: Mauro's Games - 02

Guides and beginner's help. If you're new to mahjong, this forum is for you. All questions are welcome - don't hesitate to ask.

Moderator: Shirluban

Mauro
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Analysis: Mauro's Games - 02

Post by Mauro » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:25 pm

It just happened today I played another game I think it's good to see if I made mistakes, since I didn't won a single hand, but I didn't end up fourth nevertheless; some mistake in defense, not so sure if I made mistakes big enough to account for the lack of winning. Here it is: http://tenhou.net/0/?log=2015091016gm-0 ... 00215&tw=0

Here some comments about things I noticed while playing or reviewing the game (E1/0 means East 1, 0 continuance, the number preceding the comments is the step); any comments also on other parts of the game are welcome; here the first game: http://reachmahjong.com/en/forum/viewto ... 48&t=53424 Again, thanks in advance :D

E1/0

Step 5: I think it would have been better to discard 1-bam, but I don't think it's a serious mistake.

E2/0

8: maybe 9-bam
10: 5-bam, I guess, since it's isolated.

Not sure if it was worth trying four triplets, or if it would have been better to stay in defence.

S1/0

I should have discarded East before.

S2/0

Not sure if ponning green-dra was the right thing to do, I did so because Green Dragons pon, South pair and a dora, it's at least two han, maybe three if I draw/call South, which could give me a nice lead on third.

S2/1

5: maybe discard 4-dot, since 5-dot already makes a group with 6-dot 7-dot, while 9-bam let me use 8-bam

7: as 5, just with 3-bam

In the end I went in defence, since I was 2 shanten and didn't want to risk dealing in and get closer to fourth.

S2/2

Not sure why I didn't discard dragons before.

In last step I discarded 9-dot also due to time, but maybe 6-bam would have been better? Pros, I would have been in tenpai (+1000 instead of -1500); cons, not sure how risky it is discarding 6-bam: it's safe for East and West, not sure for South.

S2/3

6: 5-dot, I guess, instead of 7-crak

And then, defense.

S3/0

Bad, bad riichi: I didn't have a chance to gain positions, I lost the chance to defend, and I didn't even noticed two 7-crak were already discarded.

S4/0

I started with the idea of going in defense, I was even more sure about it when East kan'd green-dra, I should have kept 9-dot (in fifth step).

In the end I was collecting safe tile; not sure if discarding 9-bam was too reckless, in retrospect I think I should have began discarding safe tiles sooner, since I had quite a lot of them against East.

S4/1

5: a bit risky discarding 8-dot, maybe, since West looked like a pin flush (not sure, though, since he already had a yaku could be something else, and being first also a quick winning was fine for him).

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Re: Analysis: Mauro's Games - 02

Post by or2az » Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:21 am

In last step I discarded 9-dot also due to time, but maybe 6-bam would have been better? Pros, I would have been in tenpai
That should have been your winning tile.
South 2/2: This was your hand in step 13.

6-crak 8-crak 5-dot 6-dot 8-dot :south :south :north :north :north.. 7-dot .... 9-bam 9-bam 9-bam

You tossed the 6-crak .
If you would have discarded the 5-dot ( preferable to the 8 since two of them were already out), you are in tenpai, waiting on the 7-crak .

A few turns later, West tosses the 4-dot.
If you chi (456), discard 8-crak , you would again be tenpai, waiting on the 6-dot 9-dot .

Then, when you drew that 9-dot , TSUMO!

A little more reading on tile efficiency might help. In the beginning of that same hand, you drew the 3-dot and discarded the 2-dot .
Better choices would have been the 5-crak 4-bam 5-dot . The 1-dot got tossed by North 3 turn later and you might have decided to chi (123).

I would forget about suji for a while, except for the basic stuff (1-4-7, 2-5-8, etc) and concentrate on betaori for defense. The brain can only absorb so much at a time. Just my opinion for someone only playing for a month. I am far from the resident expert here. Took quite a while for me to even start playing defense.
A building needs a solid foundation in order to "reach" great heights.

Gnom
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Gnom » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:03 am

Sorry, I can't see your game but this looks like a big mistake in tile efficiency, something you may want to work on:
Mauro wrote:5: maybe discard 4-dot, since 5-dot already makes a group with 6-dot 7-dot, while 9-bam let me use 8-bam.
If I understand correctly, you had 4-dot 5-dot 7-dot 8-dot and you're thinking that 5-dot 7-dot 8-dot is better? It's clearly not since you'd be throwing away two ryanmen 45 and 78 for one ryanmen plus an extra tile that doesn't have a use right now. You could want to throw away one of the two shapes if there are others in your hand since they over lapse on the 6-dot, but in that case you'd dump one entirely!

Mauro
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Mauro » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:55 am

or2az wrote:You tossed the 6-crak .
If you would have discarded the 5-dot ( preferable to the 8 since two of them were already out), you are in tenpai, waiting on the 7-crak .

A few turns later, West tosses the 4-dot.
If you chi (456), discard 8-crak , you would again be tenpai, waiting on the 6-dot 9-dot .

Then, when you drew that 9-dot , TSUMO!
Yup, I missed that; discarding 6-crak hoping to draw/chii 4-dot (just one out) or 9-dot (three out), on the idea that very few craks have been discarded, would make sense?

I will keep working on my tile efficiency reading, thanks :D
I would forget about suji for a while, except for the basic stuff (1-4-7, 2-5-8, etc) and concentrate on betaori for defense
Sure, I was asking about the other suji for the future, now I'm not studying them; too much information, too soon.
Gnom wrote:If I understand correctly, you had 4-dot 5-dot 7-dot 8-dot and you're thinking that 5-dot 7-dot 8-dot is better?
This was my hand:

2-crak 2-crak 2-crak 7-crak 7-crak 8-crak 9-crak 9-crak 4-dot 6-dot 7-dot 5-bam 7-bam draw: 9-bam

I discarded 9-bam, I was saying that I think it would have been better to discard 4-dot, since discarding it I don't lose 5-dot (it still makes a group with 6-dot 7-dot), while discarding 9-bam I lose the chance to make 7-bam 8-bam 9-bam.
Last edited by Mauro on Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gnom
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Gnom » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:44 am

Ah, sorry, I didn't understand what your hand was like! My bad. Guess I shouldn't have answer without actually watching your game.

Mauro
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Mauro » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:54 am

No problem; now I'm trying to understand why you can't watch the game - I tried from a coupla PCs and it works.