Wait test anyone?

Guides and beginner's help. If you're new to mahjong, this forum is for you. All questions are welcome - don't hesitate to ask.

Moderator: Shirluban

Referee
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Wait test anyone?

Post by Referee » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:22 am

One thing that I don't see mentioned much, but it is useful practicing for when it comes, is about getting a feel on what is your wait on those menchin hands that come up sometimes.

http://tenhou.net/0/?log=2012101706gm-0 ... &tw=0&ts=8 Here is a hand I played today. You can say that I should have played the hand differently, which is likely true, and I'm pretty sure I shouldn't have reached, because it is late, but hey, menchin riichi dora 1 is baiman.

Now, I think my wait is 7-dot 8-dot 9-dot . If I am right, then more reason to say I played badly. All those tiles I can't account for are in my opponent's hand. I recovered to get 2nd place by getting a riizumo haku dora 1 next hand.

mrrrx
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Re: Wait test anyone?

Post by mrrrx » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:37 am

Ahh, I'm awful at that. It's easy to be spoiled by riichi/ron buttons in those situations. You might already know it, but there's this game that you can play to kinda practice:
http://www.gamedesign.jp/flash/bamboo/bamboo.html

Took me a while, but I see the 8-dot 9-dot wait in your example. Don't see a 7-dot wait.

Kyuu
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Kyuu » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:16 am

7-dot won't work at all. The key to identifying waits on complicated waits, especially for Chin Ittsu, is to identify the pair.

Also, look up Touhou Unreal Mahjong. It comes with a wait quiz.

Senechal
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Senechal » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:23 am

For the waits, remove pairs, remove triplets, remove 4 successive pairs (11223344). The last two don't apply, so you wait can only be on one fork (ryan/san-men) or two pairs. Straddle waits require at least the second to be true.

The problems with chinitsu so late is that you don't have a monopoly over needing the tiles (I count 32 used up in god mode), and that it's obvious after 15 discards you're gunning for some flush hand. If humanly possible, I would suggest not riiching in the future, unless the balance of points require you to do it. A direct hit would have let you win with 100pt over (31900 vs 31800... sorry, that's mangan, with dora, it's more... haneman tsumo, no riichi (7) puts you 900 short.), but I guess that's hard to keep track of in the heat of the action, or if you play live with point stacks not always in clear view.

Good hand to try to get back to first though.

Referee
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Referee » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:49 pm

yes, Only 8-dot 9-dot , my bad. I was drawing dead, with the remaining paapin nicely paired in another hand. I'll have to look for that game.

Kyuu
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Kyuu » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:35 pm

Well, here's my only Sanbaiman, in relation to all my games played via Tenhou:

http://tenhou.net/0/?log=2012090318gm-0 ... &tw=0&ts=4

To be honest, I wish that I had waited at least 1-turn after dropping Haku, as it would have been called (as it did). But, when I called "riichi", I was also thinking: "Ahhh, screw it".