Mahjong Group Assembled! Need Advice on Rules...

Guides and beginner's help. If you're new to mahjong, this forum is for you. All questions are welcome - don't hesitate to ask.

Moderator: Shirluban

Iapetus
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Re: Mahjong Group Assembled! Need Advice on Rules...

Post by Iapetus » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:03 pm

If you want plain proofreading, here is:
•Cheat sheet:
-Iipeiko has two different suit chi
-Toitoi and San ankou are mixed
•Presentation:
-Three of each dragon, why?
-4sou instead of 5sou on page 9?
-In the riichi benefits, the two points should be (worth a yaku - more points, requirement) and (uradora / ippatsu bonuses)
-Honroto listed as yakuman

wavemotion
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by wavemotion » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:19 pm

Very helpful, thanks! Updating now... I should have realized San=3 on the Toi-Toi / San ankou mixup!

Player Aid and Slides updated (well, still need to improve Riichi Benefits / Restrictions)

wavemotion
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by wavemotion » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:18 pm

Okay - tomorrow is our big day! First meeting with the group - after some unexpected cancellations we will have exactly 8 players. Still a nice number for 2 full tables. My Power Point slides are basically done (see first page - the image is updated) and my New Player Aid is printed and ready. Food has been ordered (we are having food catered in) and I'm excited!

Kyuu
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Kyuu » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:08 am

Say. I'm curious as to how this went.

:D

wavemotion
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by wavemotion » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:03 pm

Kyuu wrote:Say. I'm curious as to how this went.
We had a great day! People arrived just after lunch and we talk for about 30 minutes and were excited to get playing. My power-point tutorial on our big wide-screen TV went perfect and with questions + answers took less than an hour. The crib-sheet handouts were helpful and everyone seemed to understand the game well enough. Jenn and I had played live before and, obviously, lots of computer games. We had two players who were equally well versed in computer Riichi Mahjong (thanks to Yazuka 4) including one Asian girl who grew up playing Chinese Mahjong (so was no stranger to the tiles) but has, in the past year or so, fallen in love with the Riichi rules. We played a hanchan (East-South) game which took about 3 hours given some questions and slower play to make sure everyone really understood what was going on. We had a nice meal together - discussing all things Mahjong followed by a second evening hanchan (which went a bit faster). All-totaled it was a 10 hour game-day with breaks and food and discussion. Several people were super-excited to do it again soon ... and I think everyone had fun (it was, obviously, harder for the totally new players).

Big hit of the day was my home-made Mahjong table which saw it's first real 4P action. I had a commission request to build more :)

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:55 pm

I did tell you to make some more. ;) Great to hear the inaugural meeting was such a success.

How was the ambience?!

wavemotion
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by wavemotion » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:11 pm

Barticle wrote:How was the ambience?!
Excellent. I created a 75 minute music CD of traditional Japanese and Chinese music which looped in the background. We had an assortment of oriental teas available. We had thought to make something suitably Japanese (or at least Asian) for dinner but the catering options were limited. So we went with a fall-back plan of Chicken Parm, Eggplant Parm and Garlic Bread (plus Salad and Tiramisu Cake for dessert).

Nothing says Mahjong like Italian food :)

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:23 pm

Heh! Well, I hope you still ate with chopsticks at least. ;)

Soundtrack sounds very nice. Maybe next time you could slip this into the playlist for the Yakuza fans...

karaoke video (with minigame percussion sounds): http://youtu.be/Ey6BMhyw6q4

clean audio version: http://youtu.be/E4jQo5TGMIU

alien_mame
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by alien_mame » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:51 pm

wavemotion wrote:
Kyuu wrote:Say. I'm curious as to how this went.
We had a great day! People arrived just after lunch and we talk for about 30 minutes and were excited to get playing. My power-point tutorial on our big wide-screen TV went perfect and with questions + answers took less than an hour. The crib-sheet handouts were helpful and everyone seemed to understand the game well enough. Jenn and I had played live before and, obviously, lots of computer games. We had two players who were equally well versed in computer Riichi Mahjong (thanks to Yazuka 4) including one Asian girl who grew up playing Chinese Mahjong (so was no stranger to the tiles) but has, in the past year or so, fallen in love with the Riichi rules. We played a hanchan (East-South) game which took about 3 hours given some questions and slower play to make sure everyone really understood what was going on. We had a nice meal together - discussing all things Mahjong followed by a second evening hanchan (which went a bit faster). All-totaled it was a 10 hour game-day with breaks and food and discussion. Several people were super-excited to do it again soon ... and I think everyone had fun (it was, obviously, harder for the totally new players).

Big hit of the day was my home-made Mahjong table which saw it's first real 4P action. I had a commission request to build more :)
Absolutely fantastic d00d!

/me checks flight availability to MA :mrgreen:

I'm very envious!

Cheers,

Ralph.