New terminology and rules guide available

Guides and beginner's help. If you're new to mahjong, this forum is for you. All questions are welcome - don't hesitate to ask.

Moderator: Shirluban

Krabman
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Re: New terminology and rules guide available

Post by Krabman » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:20 pm

Man, I haven't looked it up yet but I know it'll be awesome :D

THANK YOU SO MUCH! Your dedication is much appreciated! I've already shared the info on our FB group!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/mahjongbielawa

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:17 pm

Great to see the new version of the guide. Consider it downloaded.
And thanks for the mention. That was very nice and totally unexpected.
I'm just a little fish swimming with the sharks.

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Post by Ignatius » Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:42 pm

Downloaded....

I love your work Bart. Thanks for your effort. And thanks to those helped Bart to update this!

Edit: I just had a glance over the text and didn't see any mention to the fact that some rules say that if you win with Rinshan you don't get 2 Fu for Tsumo win (other rules do add those 2 Fu as normal). I don't know if I didn't see it because of me reading fast or something.

Also in the pronunciation section you have a typo in the platalized and combinations part, where you can find: kwa and gwa respectively, and those syllables doesn't exists in japanese.

I hope I'm not a party pooper... :wink:
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:15 am

Thanks folks. I'll accept submissions for the next update - which will probably be in the space year 2022. :P

Kwa and gwa may be considered archaic now but can still be used in katakana spellings of foreign words.

For example they're listed here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ku_(kana)

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Post by Ignatius » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:21 am

Barticle wrote:Thanks folks. I'll accept submissions for the next update - which will probably be in the space year 2022. :P

Kwa and gwa may be considered archaic now but can still be used in katakana spellings of foreign words.

For example they're listed here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ku_(kana)
Aaand... Every day you learn something new. :)
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Sun May 07, 2017 2:38 pm

My PDF guide was temporarily unavailable recently while the USPML redesigned their website - sorry for any inconvenience.

It's now available to download again. I've updated the links in the first post although the old URLs should redirect.

I've also taken the opportunity to add some preview images.