Anime Evolution

American, Filipino... Any other rule sets you may have heard of or come across!

Moderator: Shirluban

zzo38
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Anime Evolution

Post by zzo38 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:18 pm

\"Anime Evolution Ruleset Mahjong\" is a mahjong ruleset that I am still in the process of writing. It is based on the Japanese rules, and it is played with Washizu tiles, without tile indices.

This lists some of the things in this game:
* It is played without teams. Less information is available than in \"Akagi DS\" game (because you cannot see the next player\'s opaque tiles), and now there is three other players which you have to worry about dealing into their hand!
* Riichi and dora is still used. Kan dora is used. Discarder pays for all is still used (but without rounding).
* Red fives dora is used - each suit has one transparent red five, except for 5pin which also has an opaque red five as well. However, if you have any red fives, you do not use the dora indicators to determine the number of han for the red fives dora (you can still use dora indicator for other tiles in your hand, though)
* All scores are multiple of 1 instead of multiple of 100. (The stick with eight black dots is now worth 1 point, and the stick with one red dot is worth 10 points.)
* Fu and rounding is eliminated (so, you will earn the same number of points self-drawn as from another player discarded).
* Han scoring table is: 0 han = 1 point, doubling for each han, until you reach 5 han (mangan), at which it is 20 points, and +5 for each additional han until you reach 18 han.
* Uma is used, but oka is not used.
* You can win with zero han, but only for strongly closed hands (menzen tsumo). For anything else at least 1 han is required, like it normally is in Japanese mahjong game.
* Ippatsu counts for ron only (and is still a valid part of the requirement for ryanhanshibari, unlike Akagi DS).
* Most yaku are not devalued/disallowed for open hands (with a few exceptions). Sanankou still requires three strongly closed sets of three of a kind, though. (Also, riichi still requires a closed hand.)
* Pinfu has no requirements for waits, but requires a closed hand (strongly or weakly), and also requires four sequences and not scoring honors.
* Some yaku has been removed (including ones about end walls).
* Yaku has been added for if you have all transparent tiles, and for if you have at least thirteen opaque.
* Weakly closed bonus - usually the discarder pays you one extra point (but there are some exceptions).
* No-ten riichi is allowed, but the penalty is not as much (but is still only paid in case of exhaustive draws).
* Maximum repeat count is 12. If it reaches 13, the deal is forced to pass and reset to zero.
* There is no walls. Indicators and supplements are drawn from the same bag as the other tiles are.
* There is no abortive four kan rule, and there is no abortive four riichi rule.
* Ura dora indicator is picked up at the beginning, and if it is transparent then all players can see it but if it is opaque then only one player can see it. If any player wins with riichi then any player can see it, because it will count as dora indicator for their hand.
* One opaque flower tile is used. It counts as your own seat wind, and if the ura dora indicator is transparent, it can also be treated as a copy of ura dora indicator. (Any kan set must still consist of one opaque and three transparent tiles, though)
* Rules for wrong kan and for betting on a tile you discarded that someone can use it later to win
* A few other things

WorTeX
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Re:Anime Evolution

Post by WorTeX » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:07 am

way too complicated in contrast to \"regular\" rules, and things like pinfu having no requirement of an open ended wait, also revealing ura-dora in the beginning? I wouldn\'t play these rules, just my opinion.

zzo38
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by zzo38 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:51 am

way too complicated in contrast to \"regular\" rules, and things like pinfu having no requirement of an open ended wait, also revealing ura-dora in the beginning? I wouldn\'t play these rules, just my opinion.
That\'s OK, you can have your opinion. (We will probably have both kind of tournaments, \"Akagi DS\" style (but with equal hit-points per team, and no actual blood pumps or money) and Anime Evolution Ruleset Mahjong (\"AERM\" for short), so you can choose one or play both.)

Also, while it does have some things more complicated, other things are simpler (such as, less abortive draws (but some are kept), no walls, no fu/rounding, no \"all green\" yaku, pinfu is somewhat simplified, and so on).

Still, it is OK if you or someone else wants to post comments or questions, or create your own ruleset, or whatever else.

And even in the \"Akagi DS\" style game, there will have to be some new rules for penalties when playing non-computer play of Washizu Mahjong. Specifically, chombo penalties are paid to the other team, and if the captain of a team wins when the dummy has called riichi, you have to reveal the dummy\'s tiles as well, and if they have no-ten riichi then the captain of that team is not allowed to win.

(Also, in playing Akagi DS, I have managed to win all of Washizu\'s money without losing any blood, in 3 hanchan.)

Shirluban

Post by Shirluban » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:08 pm

It\'s unnecessary complicated.
* Han scoring table is: 0 han = 1 point, doubling for each han, until you reach 5 han (mangan), at which it is 20 points, and +5 for each additional han until you reach 18 han.
So it\'s a HK-like scoring table?
* You can win with zero han, but only for strongly closed hands (menzen tsumo).
As long menzen tsumo worth 1 han, you\'d better write:
\"You can win with zero han, but only if you have a han.\"
* One opaque flower tile is used. It counts as your own seat wind, and if the ura dora indicator is transparent, it can also be treated as a copy of ura dora indicator. (Any kan set must still consist of one opaque and three transparent tiles, though)
So, if I\'m West and the ura dora indicator is a transparent 4 wan:
- I can make a pon with two West tiles and a flower.
- I can make a pon with two 4 wan and a flower.
- I can make a kan with three transparent West tiles and a flower.
- I can NOT make a kan with two transparent West, one opaque West and a flower.
- I can NOT make a kan with three 4 wan and a flower (one 4 wan will be opaque).
- I\'ll make a chonbo most of the time if I dare to try making a kan with a flower.

Note: The \"Other Rules\" section is for non-riichi rules. Richi variants are better placed in the \"Reach Mahjong\" section. But since \"Anime Evolution Ruleset Mahjong\" is so far away from regular riichi, it\'s OK.
Cats don't do タンヤオ (tan-yao) but タニャーオ (ta-nya-o).
World Riichi Championship Rules 2022
Comparison of riichi rules around the world

zzo38
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by zzo38 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:41 am

So it\'s a HK-like scoring table?
Yes, a bit like that (although not quite...).
As long menzen tsumo worth 1 han, you\'d better write:
\"You can win with zero han, but only if you have a han.\"
Menzen tsumo is a zero han yaku in AERM. And it is the only way to win without making the minimum 1 han yaku requirement.
Note: The \"Other Rules\" section is for non-riichi rules. Richi variants are better placed in the \"Reach Mahjong\" section. But since \"Anime Evolution Ruleset Mahjong\" is so far away from regular riichi, it\'s OK.
Yes, that is why I put it in \"Other Rules\" section. It borrows a lot from regular Japanese riichi mahjong but has many differences, too.

Still, at the event (if it occurs), there will be the \"Akagi DS style\" event, too (in addition to AERM), which is same as normal Japanese Riichi Mahjong, with the following rules:
  • Washizu tiles are used. No red fives or flowers are used.
  • Ippatsu is 1 han but is not counted when determining the minimum han requirement (this is important in ryanhanshibari). (I do not know whether or not this is a standard rule, but if anyone knows, can you please tell me?)
  • Kuitan (open tanyao) is used.
  • Nagashi mangan is not used.
  • Ura dora, kan dora, and kanura dora is used.
  • Ryanhanshibari is used.
  • Dobon, wareme, and west round, are all not used.
  • Multiple winners is not allowed.
  • Yakitori is not used.
  • Barenchan (8 continue) rule is not used, after 8 continue, the repeat count still continues to increase.
  • If someone calls \"ron\" off of your tile on the same turn you call riichi, you don\'t pay the 1000 points for riichi.
  • Played on teams, where each team\'s captain comes immediately before that team\'s dummy.
  • You are permitted to look at your team-mate\'s tiles, and are also allowed to communicate to them.
  • Each team starts with an equal number of hit-points (if you want, make a suggestion here as to what this number should be).
  • If the captain of one team pays the captain of the other team directly (for any reason), then the team that has to pay also loses the equal number of hit-points to the number of points that is paid.
  • If you call riichi and then nobody wins, you still have to keep the sticks in front of you because they can still count as direct payment.
  • At the end of hanchan, you calculate oka and uma (for all four players, ignoring teams), and then you compare the scores of the captains only. Whoever has less, loses the number of hit-points of the difference.
  • Whenever any team runs out of hit-points, that team is the losing team, and the match is immediately terminated.
But you can also make other question/comment about AERM rules, if you have any. I do consider and pay attention to your question/comment, but whether or not I apply it is a different choice.

Shirluban

Post by Shirluban » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:31 pm

zzo38 wrote:
Note: The "Other Rules" section is for non-riichi rules. Richi variants are better placed in the "Reach Mahjong" section. But since "Anime Evolution Ruleset Mahjong" is so far away from regular riichi, it\'s OK.
Yes, that is why I put it in "Other Rules" section. It borrows a lot from regular Japanese riichi mahjong but has many differences, too.
Ok, fine.
I was not sure if it was intended or not, now I\'m enlighten.
Sorry for the inconvenient.
Cats don't do タンヤオ (tan-yao) but タニャーオ (ta-nya-o).
World Riichi Championship Rules 2022
Comparison of riichi rules around the world