Mahjong video

The place for video, sites, games replay, books, ...

Moderator: Shirluban

Gnom
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Re: Mahjong video

Post by Gnom » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:13 pm

Barticle wrote:It might be unnecessary if you can find the perfect camera angle, but you could consider physical aids for hand and discard placement. Perhaps green stickers, strips cut from green post-it notes, clear adhesive tape, a cardboard square placed in the centre or even faint pencil lines on the mat? :o When Sonic plays against his stream viewers he uses tape on his mat (link).
We were thinking about maybe putting something in the middle. On auto tables, players organize their discards in alignment with the central part, so it may solve all problems (except for the look :P )

Krabman
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Krabman » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:17 pm

Hehe, your videos are Europe's best so far nontheless! :)

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:01 pm

Yeah, I know stickers would look a bit rubbish...! :? That's why I suggested pencil lines but I don't know how temporary they would be. Thin clear matte 3M "Magic Tape" might be quite subtle too though.

How about these colourful and ornate mats from YMI?! :) http://www.ymimports.com/b/8297830011

(I've always wondered about those winds - I guess you're supposed to rotate the mat.)

Gnom
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Gnom » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:24 pm

A new video from our club! I think the result is pretty good technically, we were a bit short on light but we didn't encounter technical issues this time. Hope you like it :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgGHjpBpxDg

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:25 pm

Très bien. There's nothing more I can suggest, except perhaps a storyline involving yakuza or special abilities for each character. ;)

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Post by Ignatius » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:54 pm

The camera angles were very good. And the video was very interesting to watch.
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

Gnom
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Gnom » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:36 pm

Barticle wrote:Très bien. There's nothing more I can suggest, except perhaps a storyline involving yakuza or special abilities for each character. ;)
Haha I'm not sure we're quite ready for this kind of big production, but that would definitely bring some newcomers!

Gnom
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Gnom » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:40 pm

Here's a now video where you can see how a player plays a deal, with some comments:
https://youtu.be/sR1uyTPs1JQ

It's not a high level commentary but is rather intended as a way for beginners to get a feel of what you may be asking yourself when playing mahjong. It's hard to know what to talk about and what not to, so if you have some comments in this regard that could help us make better videos later.

Also, what about a whole game? Obviously we wouldn't pause every now and then to comment, but watching that peculiar game to choose which deal we'd comment was pretty fun, thought somebody may be interested (and we could make that more often than our 4-camera games since it's a lot less work, and keep those for big occasions)...

Krabman
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Krabman » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:21 pm

I think the commentary was pretty good. It would be great to see more ambiguous situations next time, if such occur :)

BTW: regarding 6:40 in the video - didn't Seiko already discard 9s on second turn? In which case there'd be no chance for Oya to have 2 Doras.
Last edited by Krabman on Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gnom
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Gnom » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:51 pm

Krabman wrote:I think the commentary was pretty good. It would be great to see more amibuguous situations next time, if such occur :)
Thanks! Actually we were a bit disappointed when we saw the raw video, the player didn't have luck for most of the game... You know, the kind of games when you're tempted to put aside your cartesian spirit and think you're cursed! That's also the reason we included two deals, to get the chance to see a bit more.
Krabman wrote:BTW: regarding 6:40 in the video - didn't Seiko already discard 9s on second turn? In which case there'd be no chance for Oya to have 2 Doras.
Yup, I noticed that when editing, I must have got it confused when we recorded the commentary... It seemed like cheating to re-record it to hide my mistake, though :p

Krabman
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Krabman » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:22 am

I don't think it's cheating if it's for the sake of a more accurate commentary. However, I tend to do the same in my Mahjong videos, which have plenty oversights :D

Leaving them as they are gives people an opportunity to point out the slip-ups, which people love to do :D At least you know they're watching closely!

Gnom
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Gnom » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:16 pm

Krabman
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Krabman » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:22 pm

Looks interesting. We'll watch it at our club! :)

Gnom
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Gnom » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:11 pm