Colossus Mahjong for c64

The place for video, sites, games replay, books, ...

Moderator: Shirluban

chalwa
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Colossus Mahjong for c64

Post by chalwa » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:26 pm

I have just bought this very interesting looking game for commodore 64. I thought at first its just collecting pairs game, but screens at it shows it the real game. I cant say much as I\'m waiting till my friend borrows me c64, so I can check it. Anyone heard about this game before?
Here are some pics:

chalwa
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Re:Colossus Mahjong for c64

Post by chalwa » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:28 pm

chalwa
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by chalwa » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:28 pm

burke
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by burke » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:38 am

The resolution of the C64 being so low, I wonder if you can discern the tiles.

If you know how, perhaps you could transfer the tape into some format usable by C64 emulators?

Edit:

Found a screenshot from the game.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:58 am

Cool! So, late 80\'s release - proper vintage gaming! :) Evidently there was a Colossus Chess and Colossus Bridge too.

I guess the inverted umbrella is the round-wind indicator. Cute! :laugh: The \"Sp\" and \"Au\" look like seasons so I assume it\'d be Chinese classical rules.

Do let us know how it plays and what sort of options you\'re given.

Fat Dragon
Junior Reacher
Junior Reacher

Post by Fat Dragon » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:54 am

I\'m pretty sure this kind of thingy can teach you some awesome tricks not used nowadays anymore. This will give you superiority on any online platform you\'re playing.:P

Zi Rong Low
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Re: Colossus Mahjong for c64

Post by Zi Rong Low » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:24 am

Thanks for showing us this!

That game must've taken ages to load since the data's stored in a cassette... :shock:

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:18 am

Hey ZRL! :D Great to see you on the forum - it's been a long time. You were a massive help to me when I was trying to translate my first proper mahjong game (and learn the rules).

I still have very fond memories of my BBC home computer, despite the fact that you had to wait maybe 20 minutes to load a game from tape ...and then sometimes it'd give an error message and you'd have to start over! The sound of the data (if you had the volume up on the cassette player) was very distinctive and is still etched on my brain today.

I'd been wondering - did you ever get this game running, Chalwa?

Zi Rong Low
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Zi Rong Low » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:44 pm

Barticle wrote:Hey ZRL! :D Great to see you on the forum - it's been a long time. You were a massive help to me when I was trying to translate my first proper mahjong game (and learn the rules).

I still have very fond memories of my BBC home computer, despite the fact that you had to wait maybe 20 minutes to load a game from tape ...and then sometimes it'd give an error message and you'd have to start over! The sound of the data (if you had the volume up on the cassette player) was very distinctive and is still etched on my brain today.

I'd been wondering - did you ever get this game running, Chalwa?
Thanks Barticle! I downloaded your guide for Reach Mahjong rules and terminology from the USPML site, it's very comprehensive, I've noted a few tiny errors, but nevertheless well done, it's great to see that you've progressed a lot since the last time I came here :)

From your guide, it appears that you've also been playing some of the games from the "Maajan Taikai" series produced by KOEI...

20 minutes to load a game, you must be very patient!

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:14 pm

Zi Rong Low wrote:Thanks Barticle! I downloaded your guide for Reach Mahjong rules and terminology from the USPML site, it's very comprehensive, I've noted a few tiny errors, but nevertheless well done, it's great to see that you've progressed a lot since the last time I came here :)
Cool, glad you like it. Certainly I've learnt a lot over the past couple of years.

I've got loads of random scribbled notes here which one day will form quite a substantial update to the PDF. I'm happy to receive reports of any odd errors that need fixing so I can rectify them for the next version. You already get a credit at the end, but perhaps you'll get an upgrade. ;)
From your guide, it appears that you've also been playing some of the games from the "Maajan Taikai" series produced by KOEI...
Yeah, Maajan Taikai IV was the first proper MJ game I bought. I only buy PS3 and DS games now, although that does include a couple of vintage PS1 games I downloaded for the PS3 off the Hong Kong PSN store.
20 minutes to load a game, you must be very patient!
Well, that's just the way things were back then. Most games came on tape (and disk drives were very expensive) so I had no choice.

It does make me laugh when people complain about a few seconds of loading time in modern games though! The graphics are a little better now too. :)

chalwa
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by chalwa » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:02 am

Barticle wrote:I'd been wondering - did you ever get this game running, Chalwa?
Unfortunatly I still couldn't get a hold of any working c64, so its still not tested :(