Mahjong Manga in America

The place for video, sites, games replay, books, ...

Moderator: Shirluban

oxoboxo
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Mahjong Manga in America

Post by oxoboxo » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:16 pm

Does anyone know where I can get ANY of the following in America? My local Kinokuniya has none of these...

Mukoubuchi
Tenpai
Obaka Miiko

Also, if anyone knows how I can subscribe to Kindai Mahjong, that would be the best!

Tom Sloper

Re:Mahjong Manga in America

Post by Tom Sloper » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:19 pm

My local Mitsuwa has a bookstore (not Kinokuniya).
I asked them to order manga for me, and they did.
But it\'s a subscription, and you have to make sure to show up whenever the comics come in and pay for them.
4649おねがいします。

clacker
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by clacker » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:09 am

I\'ve bought books through http://amazon.co.jp (there is an \"In English\" button on the top right that lets you navigate the site and place the order in English). It was fast but the shipping was expensive.

I use Fujisan.com for getting Kindai Mahjong in the USA. Again there is an English button on the top center bar of the page:

http://www.fujisan.com

www.fujisan.com/control/product/~product_id=560

I\'ve had never had a problem with them for about two years now. What I\'ve done with books is look them up on amazon.co.jp and then copy and send the title and ISBN to fujisan to make it easy for them to find and order. They have always been very helpful.

oxoboxo
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by oxoboxo » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:34 am

Thanks for the help guys!

zzo38
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by zzo38 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:59 am

Can you place an order on Japanese Amazon web-site without a Japanese credit card?

Robert
Junior Reacher
Junior Reacher

Post by Robert » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:52 am

\"Japanese\" credit card?

You might as well speak of a ruler that measures in \"Japanese\" centimeters.

zzo38
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by zzo38 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:55 am

\"Japanese\" credit card?

You might as well speak of a ruler that measures in \"Japanese\" centimeters.
That isn\'t what I meant.

What I have been told is that Japan is not part of the international credit card system and therefore Japanese credit cards are different than others. I live at Canada, is anything necessary to know about this? I don\'t want to make a account at their site unless I can confirm that it will work.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:23 am

Fujisan sounds good. Thanks for the info, clacker.
zzo38 wrote:What I have been told is that Japan is not part of the international credit card system and therefore Japanese credit cards are different than others.
Yup - oddly enough I was reading just last night that overseas bank cards don´t work in normal Japanese high street ATM´s (cashpoints).

Evidently there are ATM´s in post offices that do accept foreign cards though. I read this in a Japan travel guidebook but the same info is given here:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2208.html

So it´s a good question and I´d like to know the answer too! B)

clacker
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by clacker » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:07 pm

zz038, when I ordered from amazon.co.jp I used a US credit card and it worked fine. They list payment methods in their help section (on the left side after you click the \"In English\" link:

amazon.jp payment methods

My problem with them was the shipping costs, which were really too high for me. They did away with their economy shipping, so I payed something like $21 US for 2 books.

amazon.jp shipping rates

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:26 am

As you might´ve seen in my \"Exporters for Japanese books\" thread, I discovered the Amazon shipping rates a few weeks ago! :X

I guess the smart thing to do is to make one big order rather than several small ones so you spread the high postage costs over a number of items.

How about Fujisan - what payment method do you use for them?

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:16 pm

I was just having a look at the Fujisan site over lunch. I see they actually offer a monthly subscription service on magazines, including Kindai Mahjong.

...Then I noticed this which is no use to me here in Europe! :(
Fujisan.com currently ships Books, Magazines, CDs, DVDs, and VHSs to any address in Canada, the U.S. and U.S. protectorates, including Alaska, Hawaii, Guam, Virgin Isalands [sic] and Puerto Rico.

clacker
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by clacker » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:22 pm

:( Sorry about that. It\'s not totally unexpected in a \"Mahjong Manga in America\" thread, though. There must be similar companies...

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:37 am

clacker wrote:Sorry about that. It\'s not totally unexpected in a "Mahjong Manga in America" thread, though....
Heh! This is true - although I tend to expect companies that ship internationally to cover most countries - and at least it´s good news for zzo38 in Canada. :)

I´m really more interested in getting a couple of books rather than taking out a subscription to a manga so will probably bite the bullet on the Amazon shipping costs or try bk1.jp as recommended by Gemma. (in my UK-centric thread!)

zzo38
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by zzo38 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:08 am

Heh! This is true - although I tend to expect companies that ship internationally to cover most countries - and at least it´s good news for zzo38 in Canada.
Well, it turns out that the product I was trying to purchase cannot be shipped to Canada. Hopefully, the owner of Half Moon Books will buy it next time she is in Japan, and then sell it to me from the store.

SaWfan1
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Re: Mahjong Manga in America

Post by SaWfan1 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:52 am

I don't know if you still need it, but these are two sites that I've found. http://www.nippon-export.com/, which I think is better about actual japanese manga and not chinese/korean/etc., and http://www.yesasia.com/us/en/home.html, which I think is a little easier on the shipping. Would tell you of a site in America but it closed :cry: .