Retro Mahjong Games

Discussion on on-line and off-line mahjong softwares.

Moderator: Shirluban

Tai
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Retro Mahjong Games

Post by Tai » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:06 pm

Every once in a while I like to check out older mahjong games since they're easy to download, whether it's 2 player (strip) mahjong or the standard 4 player. So I made a thread here to discuss retro games.

Anyway, this is one I had to check out after seeing this gorgeous opening on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjygPdniANc It is "Mahjong Master" for Nintendo 64, made by Konami.

You can tell whoever was in charge of that opening movie really loved the game. The game itself is really good from what little I've played. 3D portraits, lots of table talk, and the option to talk to your opponents by clicking on their picture during a match. One of the characters I played would panic as the last tiles came up, afraid of dealing into my riichi. Also has some nice table/tile effects, like the tiles clacking against the side when a call happens, followed by them getting straightened out. The game seems to have lots of modes, there's the story mode which I haven't touched since I won't be able to read it, but you play as a member of a mahjong club and I assume you work your way up to different locations. There's the free mode, where you select your rules, players, and where they sit on the table and play as much as you like. There's some kind of battle mode I didn't quite understand where everyone started with 5000 points, but you can play everyone in the game on an electronic looking table. And there's also a quiz mode where you answer multiple choice questions!

Also the music is absolutely wonderful. As expected from an old Konami game.

I was gonna throw some pictures up on here, but there is a sample match from the demo that plays in that video.

Shirluban

Re: Retro Mahjong Games

Post by Shirluban » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:09 pm

"retro games"
"Nintendo 64"
I'm old.
Cats don't do タンヤオ (tan-yao) but タニャーオ (ta-nya-o).
World Riichi Championship Rules 2022
Comparison of riichi rules around the world

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re: Retro Mahjong Games

Post by Barticle » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:42 pm

I'm always happy to see and hear about vintage mahjong games, whether they're old retro or new retro. :)