Retro riichi games

Discussion on on-line and off-line mahjong softwares.

Moderator: Shirluban

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Re: Retro riichi games

Post by Ignatius » Wed May 20, 2015 10:35 pm

FakeGamerGuy wrote:When I did my initial research on the game I saw 1-3, didn't see 4. The only other one I came across from them was an ero majhong game for the PC Engine CD.
Well I´m trying the 4th game, so I can say it exists. It has girls in swimsuits for no reason in the main menu and some menus.

The fourth game has only 3 modes. Free play, with the same rule options in the previous games. You can be male or female, with three faces to choose from for each gender, and then you can choose from the 16 rivals, depending of the amount of players you set, you can play 2, 3 or 4 people mahjong.

A tournament mode, in a girls private high school´s gym, arranged by some kind of mahjong research club. Looks like it´s a free tournament, with a lot of females and a few males. And you can be a male or a woman, with three faces to choose from for each gender, the same as free mode. The tournament mode lets you choose to play against 2, 3, or 4 people before it starts. And has various tournaments, organized as teams, which sets the game difficulty. Those are: girls high school team, university/college student team, adults team, and mahjong pro players team.

When you play 2 player mahjong you can see you rival seated in front of you, it has decent animation when picking and discading tiles for a Snes game. But when playing 3 or 4 people mahjong, the view is classical, you only see the tables, and a rectangle with the faces of the other player when they pick up tiles, discard tiles, or make a move. Even only with the rectangles the players do have a clear voices when they call, and the faces have animation, which is a plus.

Before the match you can see your rival(s) name (surname - given name order, of course), years playing mahjong, and the yaku they´re good or confident with (it´s just only one).

The third mode is a mahjong seminar, wich is a mahjong course, and a copy-paste from what you´ve seen in the second game.

This game hasn´t interested me as the third one of the series did. Even if it has very nice visuals for a Snes mahjong game.
Last edited by Ignatius on Thu May 28, 2015 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Post by Ignatius » Wed May 20, 2015 10:52 pm

Video for the Super Nichibutsu Mahjong 3 game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nb2k-AypKDg

Video for the Super Nichibutsu Mahjong 4 game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0-K0cPlI2Q

Quality of both videos is kinda bad...
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

FakeGamerGuy
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by FakeGamerGuy » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:33 pm

Finally got around to writing another review. This one is for Super Mahjong (great name) for the Super Famicom. TL;DR it's a completely bullshit 2-player game where the tiles are stacked and you're fighting for or as Hitler, Saddam, or Lincoln.

Yeah.

http://www.fakegamerguy.com/?p=404

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:05 pm

That's quite a line-up! Interesting to see Thatcher playing mahjong so many years before the Koizumi manga.

Looks like Gandhi is just as power-hungry as he is in Civ. :) (link)

XFRod
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by XFRod » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:40 pm

Retro riichi game? Take your pick.

FakeGamerGuy
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by FakeGamerGuy » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:52 pm

I decided to start doing YouTube reviews. Figured a good place to start was the game I had just written a review for. Let me know what you guys think, what other information you'd like to see, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kc-zoB3Y2sE

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder

Post by Ignatius » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:35 pm

I don´t know what to say. I found it useful to know the game...

FakeGamerGuy
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by FakeGamerGuy » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:00 pm

Ignatius wrote:I don´t know what to say. I found it useful to know the game...
Sorry, not sure what you mean. :)

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder

Post by Ignatius » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:17 pm

FakeGamerGuy wrote:
Ignatius wrote:I don´t know what to say. I found it useful to know the game...
Sorry, not sure what you mean. :)
Oh, sorry. I was just thinking that was ok to see your video but I had nothing to say. I liked it, so I hope you'll do more from time to time...

FakeGamerGuy
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by FakeGamerGuy » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:35 pm

Got another review done. This is for Super Nichibutsu Mahjong on Super Famicom. I actually managed to beat this one which is a nice change of pace.

https://youtu.be/768QvzjOHK0

I just uploaded it so it might be a little while before the full-resolution version is available.

FakeGamerGuy
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by FakeGamerGuy » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:58 pm

I've also uploaded a guide to playing Japanese N64 games on a North American console without having to open or modify the console.

https://youtu.be/ra6X6R2_unY

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder

Post by Ignatius » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:42 pm

FakeGamerGuy wrote:Got another review done. This is for Super Nichibutsu Mahjong on Super Famicom. I actually managed to beat this one which is a nice change of pace.

https://youtu.be/768QvzjOHK0

I just uploaded it so it might be a little while before the full-resolution version is available.
Cool video.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:46 am

Great to be able to see the animations and hear the music with your reviews in video format now. Your commentary and editing is excellent too. Subbed!

You might want to pad your video titles to make them more appealing in search results. I'd add the platform in brackets and always include the words retro, video-game and review, and probably mahjong and riichi/Japanese too. Not sure on their algorithms but that might help your ranking in search results as well. You could also add the game's release year in the description for retro credibility. :)

FakeGamerGuy
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by FakeGamerGuy » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:05 am

Barticle wrote:Great to be able to see the animations and hear the music with your reviews in video format now. Your commentary and editing is excellent too. Subbed!

You might want to pad your video titles to make them more appealing in search results. I'd add the platform in brackets and always include the words retro, video-game and review, and probably mahjong and riichi/Japanese too. Not sure on their algorithms but that might help your ranking in search results as well. You could also add the game's release year in the description for retro credibility. :)
Thanks! When you upload videos to YouTube there's a section to add tags so your videos show up under relevant search terms. I should probably make a template to add to the description with the name, platform, year, etc.

FakeGamerGuy
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by FakeGamerGuy » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:24 pm

Here's my review of Mahjong 64. 3 out of 5, only because of the study guides in the game. Otherwise 2/5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsee5uVN1Ic