Overview of current mahjong video-games

Discussion on on-line and off-line mahjong softwares.

Moderator: Shirluban

Tobiaux
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Re: Overview of current mahjong video-games

Post by Tobiaux » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:30 pm

Most excellent, thank you for your great response! I might give Saikyou no Mahjong a try after reading up your game guide. :)

And yes I definitely wouldn't want to get a strip mahjong game since that would certainly be a no-no to be seen playing at my office! :lol:

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Post by Ignatius » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:05 pm

You know, making Yakuza 7 a turn based game during combat is something I don't like. I've lost most of my interest on it...
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:14 pm

Tobiaux wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:30 pm
And yes I definitely wouldn't want to get a strip mahjong game since that would certainly be a no-no to be seen playing at my office! :lol:
Oh, yes even more reason to avoid! :)
Ignatius wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:05 pm
You know, making Yakuza 7 a turn based game during combat is something I don't like. I've lost most of my interest on it...
I share the feeling. I'd actually already skipped the last couple of games (Kiwami 2 and Judgment) and I'm even less likely to pick up this new one. I played the demo for RGG7 a few times and the new combat was really a chore - it was slow and I just didn't enjoy it. I know some people like it and it might even have attracted some new fans to the series, but overall I think sales are lower than usual.

I might still get future games if they revert to the traditional real-time brawler combat and have good minigames or locations. I did enjoy exploring part of the big new city map in the demo and seeing other parts in videos. I actually went through Google Maps streetview finding lots of the real-life locations (see link), but I think that's all the fun I'll get. I noticed that Yokohama's big Donki store was missing in the game and apparently this beloved franchise has been removed from the other cities too! :(

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/27 ... n/78015395

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Post by Ignatius » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:52 pm

I'm playing Judgment these days, and is pretty cool.
It's an interesting spin on the Yakuza saga. I don't plan to try to platinum the game. But I'm pleased with it so far. And I like the battle system and the investigation sections. Also the game include a mahjong parlour with the wareme rule, wich I don't like but think it's a great addition.
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:06 pm

I was looking out for a really cheap copy of the Japanese Judge Eyes (somehow I got the Japanese Kiwami for about 8 pounds total so now I expect that every time!) but I guess I could probably find the English version for a decent price now.

The Open Riichi and that link with the Japanese mahjong TV show with its special rules added a bit of variety to the mahjong minigame for once.

BTW Yakuza's producer, Toshihiro Nagoshi, actually appeared as one of the celebrity contestants on the show a couple of weeks before the game released. He did not do well!

https://twitter.com/wareponofficial/sta ... 3858379777

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder

Post by Ignatius » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:57 pm

Barticle wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:06 pm
I was looking out for a really cheap copy of the Japanese Judge Eyes (somehow I got the Japanese Kiwami for about 8 pounds total so now I expect that every time!) but I guess I could probably find the English version for a decent price now.

The Open Riichi and that link with the Japanese mahjong TV show with its special rules added a bit of variety to the mahjong minigame for once.

BTW Yakuza's producer, Toshihiro Nagoshi, actually appeared as one of the celebrity contestants on the show a couple of weeks before the game released. He did not do well!

https://twitter.com/wareponofficial/sta ... 3858379777
I'm sure you'll be able to find it with a discount.

Wow, according to the tweet, he went in for a serious beating. -73.4 points. Poor guy...

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:57 am

Over the eight matches he came 2nd once, 3rd four times and 4th three times. I'm sure many Yakuza fans in the west who dislike MJ would have no sympathy!

Back to the Switch, I've just added Touhou Gensou Mahjong to the directory. It finally releases on 30 Jan but it's available to pre-download now and there's a 10% discount for a few weeks.

It features 100+ characters from the Touhou Project series with special abilities. Aside from standard rules, it also has three-player, special rules including Aotenjou and two starting Dora, and even some unique rules. This pic shows red fives - and lots of other red numbers! :o Also 50k pts each. (Kuikae TBC)
thgsmj.jpg
thgsmj.jpg (43.98 KiB) Viewed 12560 times

Tobiaux
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Tobiaux » Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:26 am

Oh that Touhou Mahjong is finally coming out huh? About time! Might have to check that out... cute girls + mahjong sounds like a winner to me.

Edit: I went ahead and preordered it, couldn't resist the allure of Touhou + Mahjong. 8)

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder

Post by Ignatius » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:26 am

If I had a Switch, I'd get that Touhou game...

Tobiaux
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Tobiaux » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:00 pm

Well I can definitely say the Touhou Mahjong game is very cute! Unfortunately I cannot read 99% of the text so I have no clue what special rules are in effect for each particular playing field, nor what each character's powers are (let alone how to even activate them!). :lol: I get the feeling at least one of the playing fields must have 'standard' rules. . . either which way, being able to play as Ran is a plus. :) I'll try to keep experimenting to see if I can figure things out accidentally.

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder

Post by Ignatius » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:58 pm

Tobiaux wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:00 pm
Well I can definitely say the Touhou Mahjong game is very cute! Unfortunately I cannot read 99% of the text so I have no clue what special rules are in effect for each particular playing field, nor what each character's powers are (let alone how to even activate them!). :lol: I get the feeling at least one of the playing fields must have 'standard' rules. . . either which way, being able to play as Ran is a plus. :) I'll try to keep experimenting to see if I can figure things out accidentally.
Time for a self-promotion here! Yay! (Because I've provided help with some translations, here, in this forum.)

Hit this post: severely in need of an english translation! (link below.)

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=53180&hilit=severel ... %21#p56449

Not only you might find something useful there, you can post screen captures of everything you need, and we'll try to help you out.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:31 pm

Would be cool to see more of the options.

The official website shows "通常ルール" for normal rules, with three red fives and no special abilities (no power gauges).

On a table featuring special abilities it looks like you get a "能力発動" prompt to press X for your ability when your gauge is full.

Tobiaux
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by Tobiaux » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:34 am

Ignatius wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:58 pm
Not only you might find something useful there, you can post screen captures of everything you need, and we'll try to help you out.
Groovy! I will see about taking some screenshots of some of the boards & options.
Barticle wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:31 pm
The official website shows "通常ルール" for normal rules, with three red fives and no special abilities (no power gauges).
Aha, yes! Good thinking as well with the official website... I can probably rely on copy+paste into google translate to see what those particular boards' gimmicks are. However, there seems to be 22 boards in game, so 12 more that aren't featured on the site.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:39 pm

Just wanted to say - happy 10th birthday to this thread. :P
vgcake10.jpg
vgcake10.jpg (12.41 KiB) Viewed 12153 times
Hopefully the launch of the PS5 later this year will bring at least one or two cool additions to the directory.

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder

Post by Ignatius » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:42 pm

That would be cool.

Still, I'm not interested in PS5 (not yet at least). It'll take some time for the console to have a good catalogue of games, and also first models cost a lot, and usually have a few issues...

Edit: Oh, yeah. Happy birthday to the thread!