Akagi DS

Discussion on on-line and off-line mahjong softwares.

Moderator: Shirluban

zzo38
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Akagi DS

Post by zzo38 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:03 pm

I ordered this game \"アカギ DS\" from the Half Moon Books at Vancouver. You can play story mode and free mode. There is also gallery mode, to show cutscenes you unlocked in story mode, and system mode to do music test/set and to reset data.

In story mode, there are different parts of the story, playing against different opponents, in different scenarios. Sometimes your opponent starts with a lot more points than you have, sometimes it repeats all rounds forever until one player has negative score, and in story mode you also have a \"ZawaZawa\" power to check if one of your tiles is dangerous to discard. Certain things can unlock cutscenes (which are displayed immediately, and cannot be skipped, but can be viewed again later in gallery mode whenever you want to).

In free mode, there are two sub-modes, standard, and Washizu Mahjong. In standard mode you can select three opponents and change some rule settings. Washizu Mahjong is different.

In Washizu Mahjong, each player plays two hands at once (each with a separate score), and some (actually most) of the tiles are transparent. In addition, there are effectively hit-points on each side (your opponent starts with a lot more than you do), and if you run out of hit-points it is Game Over. You cannot select rules or opponents in Washizu mode, however, but you can set the damage to 10cc or 100cc. You are given the opportunity to save the game at the end of each round, except at the final round of each han-chan session.

Most of the characters in this game do not have any voices for チー ポン カン ロン ツモ リーチ but Akagi and Washizu does, and a few other major characters in the story mode.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re:Akagi DS

Post by Barticle » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:54 am

(Belated) thanks for this post. It\'s always useful to be able to read in English about the contents of a foreign game.
zzo38 wrote:In standard mode you can select three opponents and change some rule settings.
After my recent manga adventures with Koizumi, I\'d like to try playing Aotenjou. I just wondered if there\'s an option to play without limits on this game...?

zzo38
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by zzo38 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:32 pm

Barticle wrote:After my recent manga adventures with Koizumi, I\'d like to try playing Aotenjou. I just wondered if there\'s an option to play without limits on this game...?[/quote]No, this game does not have that option. It is only the most common stuff that you can change.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:23 am

Okay, thanks. That\'s a shame - I was kinda hoping that a manga-based game would have a few more exotic options.

I should sort myself out a PC for gaming (and everything else) and get the Touhou Unreal Mahjong game that Poochy has posted about in the past. (Check out the pic in the Yakuman Club thread for a super-powered 47-Han monster hand!)

tomahawk
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Re: Akagi DS

Post by tomahawk » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:37 am

Can someone please post the translation for the adjustable rules (screen before a match?)
Thank You

My Idol Janshi Suchie Pai 3 Remix for DS guide - http://www.reachmahjong.com/en/forum/vi ... 18&t=52924

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:00 am

I don't think many people have this one. Certainly it's the one major DS game that I still want/need to get - still waiting for a relatively cheap one on eBay!

If you were to post screen grabs or photos we could translate them for you.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:47 pm

Got the game today. :D

Here's a quick list of the configurable rule options, listed by row from the top. Check my PDF guide for rule info.

1. Game length and Kuitan
2. Shānyū and Tsumo Pinfu
3. Nō-ten Bappu and Ippatsu
4. Nanba Nō-ten and Wareme
5. Ryan Han Shibari and Furiten Riichi
6. Pao and Nagashi Mangan
7. San Renkō, Pārenchan and Renhō
8. Dobon, Yakitori and Uma
9. Ura Dora, Kan Dora and Kan Ura Dora
10. Starting score
akagi ds rules.jpg
akagi ds rules.jpg (43.77 KiB) Viewed 17658 times
有 = ari (on) / 無 = nashi (off)

Will write a full guide in due course but have a bit of a rush on new PS3 games in the next few weeks...

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:59 pm

My Akagi DS guide is now available on GameFAQs at the following location:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ds/935255-touha ... ensai/faqs

One interesting thing about the story mode is that, while several story scenes are unmissable, there are also many scenes that will only be shown when you've taken the correct action/s to recreate the events of the anime. I'm covering each of these in my walkthrough although I've only done Act 1 so far (i.e. the matches played in the Midori parlour at the start of the story). I hope to cover the remaining three acts when I have more time. (The guide is complete except for that.)

EDIT: updated link following title fix
Last edited by Barticle on Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xKime
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by xKime » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:36 pm

Barticle wrote:My Akagi DS guide is now available on GameFAQs at the following location:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ds/935255-touha ... ensai/faqs

One interesting thing about the story mode is that, while several story scenes are unmissable, there are also many scenes that will only be shown when you've taken the correct action/s to recreate the events of the anime. I'm covering each of these in my walkthrough although I've only done Act 1 so far (i.e. the matches played in the Midori parlour at the start of the story). I hope to cover the remaining three acts when I have more time. (The guide is complete except for that.)
I think it's "yami ni maiorita tensai."
The kanji is the same, but the pronunciation is different. Also, you can hear Akagi and the narrator both say it in the intro for the game.
Was it the "furu" reading instead of the "oriru" one, it would be "futta" instead of "furita" as well.

Though I'm sure you realized this just by reading the beginning of this post.

Any chance to change that once it's posted? I've never contributed a FAQ before so I wouldn't know the necessary handling.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:54 pm

Thanks for pointing this out. :)

Most of the data on the game (including the romanised title itself) would've been submitted to GameFAQs back when Akagi DS was released in 2007. The title is added automatically to the URL's for all pages relating to that game including the new one where my guide is now listed.

I just had a look at the Akagi page on Japanese Wikipedia and that gives the (original?) sub-title as 闇に降り立った天才 followed by the hiragana spelling やみにおりたったてんさい (yami ni oritatta tensai) which is consistent with the string 降り立 which appears in the dictionary word 降り立つ (oritatsu). Ah, but I see now that the anime and game have the slightly different sub-title 闇に舞い降りた天才 - interesting. The added kanji 舞 can denote dancing - I like the idea that Akagi is dancing into the darkness now! :D However my dictionary also gives a compound form 舞い降りる (maioriru) which is a verb meaning "to swoop downwards" and which matches the pronunciation you quoted. This is spoken fairly clearly (in the reassuringly familiar tones of the narrator) at the start of episode 3 of the anime too, although in later ones he seems to switch to the shortened "yami no tensai" instead.

I've just submitted a revision to my guide with the intro amended and (having just learnt how to do it!) I've also submitted a request to correct the title on GameFAQs. Thanks again.

xKime
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by xKime » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:44 pm

Barticle wrote:Thanks for pointing this out. :)

Most of the data on the game (including the romanised title itself) would've been submitted to GameFAQs back when Akagi DS was released in 2007. The title is added automatically to the URL's for all pages relating to that game including the new one where my guide is now listed.

I just had a look at the Akagi page on Japanese Wikipedia and that gives the (original?) sub-title as 闇に降り立った天才 followed by the hiragana spelling やみにおりたったてんさい (yami ni oritatta tensai) which is consistent with the string 降り立 which appears in the dictionary word 降り立つ (oritatsu). Ah, but I see now that the anime and game have the slightly different sub-title 闇に舞い降りた天才 - interesting. The added kanji 舞 can denote dancing - I like the idea that Akagi is dancing into the darkness now! :D However my dictionary also gives a compound form 舞い降りる (maioriru) which is a verb meaning "to swoop downwards" and which matches the pronunciation you quoted. This is spoken fairly clearly (in the reassuringly familiar tones of the narrator) at the start of episode 3 of the anime too, although in later ones he seems to switch to the shortened "yami no tensai" instead.

I've just submitted a revision to my guide with the intro amended and (having just learnt how to do it!) I've also submitted a request to correct the title on GameFAQs. Thanks again.
I'm not sure, but I think the sub-title also changes depending on the season, too. With the first few episodes corresponding to Yami ni Maiorita Tensai. When this genius had first "descended into darkness" (getting involved with the yakuza, etc).

That certainly is interesting. I always saw it as Fukumoto being capricious, but there seems to be a meaning to it all.

Cool. No problem.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:12 pm

My submission has been accepted so the title on GameFAQs has been fixed and I've updated the link in my previous post.

(and now I have to fix the title for the GBA version so it matches the DS!)

Have you played much of Akagi DS, Kime? I might appreciate a little support when I work through acts 2-4. :)

xKime
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by xKime » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:35 pm

Barticle wrote:My submission has been accepted so the title on GameFAQs has been fixed and I've updated the link in my previous post.

(and now I have to fix the title for the GBA version so it matches the DS!)

Have you played much of Akagi DS, Kime? I might appreciate a little support when I work through acts 2-4. :)
That's great!

Yeah, I actually have. I went on a quest to unlock every ingame event, and I completed most of them except for the Washizu arc ones.
There are hints on how to get there, but the -best- way would be doing it along while watching the discard ponds in the anime. w
You could upload the screens for those hints, and I could just translate them. All I specifically remember is how to get the daisangen, and how to beat urabe. Other stuff, I have forgotten the order for discards.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:58 am

Also, as the only contributor, you now get top billing in the Thanks section in my guide. ;)

Okay, cool. I found the hints in gallery mode and was able to do slow/rough translations of those (and watched the relevant anime episodes) which helped a lot on act 1. I took a sneak peek at the hints for act 2 (versus Ichikawa) and it was kinda weird as it doesn't tell you which match/hand they relate to (whereas in act 1 it would say "match 5, south 2" or whatever).

Heh, yeah I noticed that the initial draws on "event" hands were copied exactly from the anime. For some of the ones where you're required to make tenpai or call riichi it almost feels like a puzzle game with only one right solution for completing your hand. I started making notes of my initial tiles and all my draws so I could piece together a solution afterwards and then use it on my second attempt and document it in my guide. That's not so much fun, but it is very cool to be able to recreate scenes from the anime, especially that first big win. 8)

Thanks - it'll probably be a little while before I get back onto this game but I'll drop you a line if (when) I get stuck!

xKime
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by xKime » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:31 am

Nice.

Yeah, the problem with the game is that even if you do things a hundred percent like you're supposed to, the other three guys act at random in many cases. I have had games where the other guys won hands when they weren't supposed to before I even finished following the order of discards. When and if that happens, you have no choice but to start again. D: