IN PROGRESS: Toupaiou Software in English!

Discussion on on-line and off-line mahjong softwares.

Moderator: Shirluban

HotelFSR
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

IN PROGRESS: Toupaiou Software in English!

Post by HotelFSR » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:06 pm

I\'ll keep it short.

Using ResHacker and Notepad++ a friend and I have been able to do a complete overhaul of Toupaiou so that the software is fully in English! Hopefully this will get many more English speakers playing.

One problem- it won\'t run!

To be more precise, using ResHacker to edit the program resources works, and will run correcty, work online, etc. However, this only allows translation of the interface text and scoring window text- but NOT things like the names of hands. Using Notepad++ to edit the code itself does allow me to translate everything, including the hand names and such, HOWEVER- any edit that changes the file size will cause the program to crash when you try to run it.

i.e. if i change a 2 letter entry to be 3 letters long, it will crash, but it will work if the length stays the same.

This is the error message you get:

\"the application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005)\"

I\'m assuming this is either because the program needs to be recomplied or it automatically checks its own filesize. Anyone know of any tools or methods that will get around this issue?

Let\'s make this happen, people!

iandstanley
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Re:IN PROGRESS: Toupaiou Software in English!

Post by iandstanley » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:07 pm

If it is checking it\'s filesize then you just need to be very careful how you edit.

I suspect that when you were editing the strings you may have missed the two important resources criteria:

1. you may have added an extra character to one of the strings hiding the original null character (a common mistake in hex editors). On mac & unix resources they end on a null string \\0 character I don\'t know what the termination char in windows is

2. If the editor is adding a \\0 or similar to the end of your edited string then this might also cause a problem if you make the string shorter particularly where the original source code is a relatively low level language like C/C++ which handles strings as an array of chars. The coder may have written a routine to read 30 char string in initialisation from your string of 29 chars.

Boy that takes me back

Another possibility is that it uses .NET and you have updated your .NET (maybe windows update?) and it may be unrelated to your editing. If so try reinstalling the appropriate runtime