iOS Kiwame Pro Mahjong Translation Needed

Discussion on on-line and off-line mahjong softwares.

Moderator: Shirluban

wavemotion
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

iOS Kiwame Pro Mahjong Translation Needed

Post by wavemotion » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:43 pm

Hi guys,

I'm struggling to know what this option does on the main iPod Touch/iPhone Kiwame screen:

It only toggles between those two choices. I also know the part that changes is ARI and NASHI but I don't know what I'm enabling or disabling here.

Huge thanks in advance!

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re: iOS Kiwame Pro Mahjong Translation Needed

Post by Barticle » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:49 am

Oddly enough someone sent me the same question and a very similar screenshot just a couple of weeks back!

The top two characters say Naki. Nakitan is another name for Kuitan (with connotations of "calling" rather than "eating") so the option should specify whether open Tanyao is allowed :D or disallowed. :cry:

wavemotion
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by wavemotion » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:02 pm

Barticle wrote:Oddly enough someone sent me the same question and a very similar screenshot just a couple of weeks back!

The top two characters say Naki. Nakitan is another name for Kuitan (with connotations of "calling" rather than "eating") so the option should specify whether open Tanyao is allowed :D or disallowed. :cry:
You rock, Bart!

Strange that they would allow you to toggle that while playing. Not sure why it needs to be on the main screen at all! I actually knew the kana for ki was in there but I had no clue on the Kanji above it. I just picked up Tuttle's book on the ~2000 Kanji for basic literacy and I'll start my studies soon :)

As an aside, if anyone needs to take a screen-shot of an iOS game, simply press the power button and the home (circle) button at the same time. It will give you a photo-click sound and store the screenshot in native resolution into the device's Pictures area (you can then email it, etc).

Shirluban

Post by Shirluban » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:26 pm

Barticle wrote:The top two characters say Naki.
Can you put the kanji here? I failed to decipher it from the screenshot.
Cats don't do タンヤオ (tan-yao) but タニャーオ (ta-nya-o).
World Riichi Championship Rules 2022
Comparison of riichi rules around the world

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:54 pm

Shirluban wrote:Can you put the kanji here? I failed to decipher it from the screenshot.
Of course, Nakitan is spelt 鳴き断 or sometimes with katakana as ナキ断.

It's not a common term but I encountered it while I was still learning as they use it in the Mahjong Taikai games (and the first proper MJ game I imported was Mahjong Taikai IV for the PS3).
wavemotion wrote:I just picked up Tuttle's book on the ~2000 Kanji for basic literacy and I'll start my studies soon :)
The kanji dictionary by Spahn and Hadamitzky is very useful, once you learn how to use it! I use it in preference to my DS touchscreen dictionary.
As an aside, if anyone needs to take a screen-shot of an iOS game [...]
Very handy for this sort of query.

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Post by Ignatius » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:33 pm

If those terms appears when playing and you can change them usually refers to call tiles or not. if you chose not you will not call tiles, you will not be able to.
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:48 pm

Doh! Yes, that makes much more sense for an in-game option. It's not a shortened form of Nakitan, it's just Naki! :lol:

The ari/nashi makes it look like an optional rule, but it's just the option to auto-reject all calls and keep your hand closed.

It's like the purple 鳴無 "Na(ki) Na(shi)" button available during play in Mahjong Fight Club (DS and PS3).
Last edited by Barticle on Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wavemotion
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by wavemotion » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:59 pm

Ah! Now that makes sense. Thanks guys!

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:52 pm

Did you get an opportunity to test this, Dave?

I sent a follow-up message to my previous enquirer and he reported being able to call tiles on either setting...?

wavemotion
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by wavemotion » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:58 pm

Barticle wrote:Did you get an opportunity to test this, Dave?

I sent a follow-up message to my previous enquirer and he reported being able to call tiles on either setting...?
I can, indeed, confirm that it works perfectly. I have the paid/full version and no longer have the free version. But it stops any asking for calling tiles just as described here.