Newbie introduction

Any suggestions or requests for the site? Let us know here!

Moderator: Shirluban

FakeGamerGuy
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Re: Newbie introduction

Post by FakeGamerGuy » Wed May 06, 2015 7:53 am

Interests: Photography, gaming, cars
Affiliations: Nope~
Username on popular online MJ games: blatblat, FakeGamerGuy
Play MJ since (year): 2015
Rules used: Japanese/Riichi
Championships: lolno
Languages (spoken / written): English, some Japanese
Quest: The Holy Grail
Favorite colour: Blue! No, ye-
Alignment: Pulls slightly to the left
Cup size: 40oz

So hi, I'm Travis. I started playing Mahjong after I say in on the panel at SakuraCon between work shifts. I mostly play retro console mahjong games but can also be found in JanRyuMon playing mostly against the AI. I work at a game studio doing game studio things, and outside of that I spend most of my time either playing games, taking and editing photos (typically motorsport), and procrastinating on finishing my race car.

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Post by Ignatius » Wed May 06, 2015 10:06 am

Helos Travis!

I also know a bit of japanese, some years studying it... To no avail :lol: .

I fare better studying english.
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

FakeGamerGuy
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by FakeGamerGuy » Wed May 06, 2015 9:57 pm

I took about 3 years of it in high school, but that was about a decade ago, and I've forgotten a lot of it. I can fumble my way through katakana easily enough, but my limited vocabulary and knowledge of kanji makes it hard to read most anything. I'm also learning Chinese right now, because Japanese wasn't hard enough. :P

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Post by Ignatius » Wed May 06, 2015 11:55 pm

FakeGamerGuy wrote:I took about 3 years of it in high school, but that was about a decade ago, and I've forgotten a lot of it. I can fumble my way through katakana easily enough, but my limited vocabulary and knowledge of kanji makes it hard to read most anything. I'm also learning Chinese right now, because Japanese wasn't hard enough. :P
If you need help trying to read something in japanese, I could try to help. :)

The problem with chinese is the fact it´s a language with tones, but at least each kanji/hanzi has only one reading (as far as I know). Also, in mainland China they use simplified hanzi, easier to write. I´ve heard too, that chinese grammar is very easy.

Good luck with it!
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

FakeGamerGuy
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by FakeGamerGuy » Thu May 07, 2015 12:19 am

My girlfriend grew up learning traditional Chinese so learning simplified Chinese isn't really an option. :) Pinyin makes writing really easy, though, except for remembering x vs sh and things like that.

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder

Post by Ignatius » Thu May 07, 2015 3:04 am

FakeGamerGuy wrote:My girlfriend grew up learning traditional Chinese so learning simplified Chinese isn't really an option. :) Pinyin makes writing really easy, though, except for remembering x vs sh and things like that.
Maybe someday I go back to study chinese, it's interesting. I studied it just for a summer, some years ago. And I don't remember a thing.

kifujin
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by kifujin » Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:34 am

I have been playing riichi mahjong off and on for about 7 years, but started to get more into it over the past month or so. I bought a set from yellow mountain imports back when I first started learning, along with a junk mat from a random Japanese site that had international shipping.

Interests: reading, computers
Username on popular online MJ games: kifujin
Play MJ since (year): 2008
Rules used: :riichi
Languages (spoken / written): english, nothing really worth mentioning of others
Quest: to be the very best, like no one ever was
Alignment: chaotic good

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:20 am

Hallo and welcome aboard. :)

PS I assume if you were working on the classified "Janet" 737 fleet out of Vegas you wouldn't be able to tell us!

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder

Post by Ignatius » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:39 pm

Welcome! :)

Mauro
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Mauro » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:17 am

Hi there! I'm a fresh Italian player: it's a bit more than a month I'm playing, and after reading some theories around I found this site and thought about discussing here some of my doubts, hoping to improve how I play.

Interests: a lot, from playing (mahjong, RPG, boardgames, etc.), to reading, to anime, etc.
Play MJ since (year): like one month
Rules used: riichi (EMA version, usually without red fives)

Shirluban

Post by Shirluban » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:30 am

Welcome ! :mrgreen:
Cats don't do タンヤオ (tan-yao) but タニャーオ (ta-nya-o).
World Riichi Championship Rules 2022
Comparison of riichi rules around the world

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder

Post by Ignatius » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:16 pm

Hello, I'm Ignatius, from Spain. I'm not so good mahjong player as I play from time to time. But if you need translations to play japanese games, I'm a good option (not the only one, though).

There's a thread called "severely in need of an english translation!" which is perfect for that matter, if you ever need it.

rotkehlchen
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by rotkehlchen » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:38 pm

Interests: Politics, philosophy, reading, music, guns and tanks
Play MJ since (year): Early 2015
Rules used: Several Riichi variants
Languages (spoken / written): German, English

Ignatius brought me here, feel free to ask if you have questions.

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder

Post by Ignatius » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:20 pm

¡Welcome!

I hope you like this forum.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:10 pm

Guten Abend und herzlich willkommen! :)

Bart