Translation Test

Whatever you want to share with your RM.com friends! Chat away!

Moderator: Shirluban

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Translation Test

Post by or2az » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:50 pm

A not-very-serious-slightly-laughable attempt at using the often worthless Google translate to find out the names of the characters, even the goofy ones, in Onsen Mahjong.
Feel free to correct anything you like!

The first 6 are the selectable cute girls names..........maybe
Akiho
Heiyo-chan
Become Becoming........this makes no sense
Niko
Misasa
Hikari
20170905_105142.png
20170905_105142.png (165.92 KiB) Viewed 8754 times
Some of the goofy characters
Steamed Bun................thought it was some kind of vegetable
Green slippers...............thought it was a two-headed snake
Thai headed tie..............looks like a fish to me
phpsn7XXgPM.jpg
phpsn7XXgPM.jpg (28.39 KiB) Viewed 8754 times
More goofy characters and the innkeeper
Racket..............an easy one, if you play ping pong
?????.................have no clue, a little saki (the drink) perhaps
Wolf..................too pretty for a wolf
Hot spring egg.........thought it was a potato with a helmet
Duck......................finally a real easy one
phpldHXmFPM.jpg
phpldHXmFPM.jpg (23.54 KiB) Viewed 8754 times
I wonder how many out of 14 were correct.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Re: Translation Test

Post by Barticle » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:50 pm

The girls' names are written using the simpler Hiragana or Katakana characters which can be read unambiguously as sounds, e.g. A-ki-ho.

An auto-translator will fail if it tries to interpret the spelling as a word instead of a name. The third one should just be Naru-Naru.

For the fishy one... 尾 means "tail" and 頭 means "head" (or a pair in Japanese mahjong). 尾頭付き is a fish served whole. タイ means "sea bream" but phonetically it's like "tie".

Yup, 酒 just means "sake" or "alcohol" - not sure how your auto-trans missed that. That's a traditional sake bottle too.

おかみ is Okami which means "landlady". One word for "wolf" is おおかみ (Ōkami) which is also the title of a video-game (and a pun there on "great god").

Here's a quick article about the egg dish: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onsen_tamago

アヒル (or 家鴨) is Ahiru which specifically means "domestic duck".

Shirluban

Post by Shirluban » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:13 pm

よんちゃん is Yon-chan. I've no idea how you get Heiyo-chan.
Hikari means light (like sun light).
I doubt the 6 girls names are supposed to have a meaning.

Manjū is Manjū.
尾頭付きタイ seems to be "Bream fish served whole".
(see http://tangorin.com/general/%E5%B0%BE%E ... 8%E3%81%8D and http://tangorin.com/general/%E3%82%BF%E3%82%A4)
The "wolf" is actually just a woman running a restaurant. Definitively far far away from what I guessed before typing it in Tangorin.

I think you go the others right.

---
Bonus: The hot spring egg looks kinda like Calimero. :P
Cats don't do タンヤオ (tan-yao) but タニャーオ (ta-nya-o).
World Riichi Championship Rules 2022
Comparison of riichi rules around the world

or2az
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder

Post by or2az » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:26 am

Tying up loose ends:

Shirluban:
よんちゃん is Yon-chan. I've no idea how you get Heiyo-chan
Somehow, it translated 平よゃん, which has 3 of the same characters. Didn't notice at the time. Tried again, came up with Yanchan, Yo chan, and Yoko.

Aha, live and learn!
Calimero is an Italian/Japanese animated cartoon about a charming, but hapless anthropomorphized chicken; the only black one in a family of yellow chickens. He wears half of his egg shell still on his head.
Anthropomorphized: ascribing human features to something.
Manjū is Manjū.
How is this related?
Manjū is a popular traditional Japanese confection. There are many varieties of manjū, but most have an outside made from flour, rice powder and buckwheat and a filling of anko, made from boiled azuki beans and sugar.
edit: ok, figured it out, I think. Manju is the Steamed Bun character that I thought was some kind of vegetable.

Bart:
Interesting how duplicating the 1st character in おかみ and placing it at the front to get おおかみ changes the word meaning from "landlady" to "wolf", sort of like duplicating the t at the end of "but" and placing it at the REAR to get "butt". A whole new meaning.

Have to remember the next time I make it to a hot spring to bring along a couple of eggs.
php8VK3i1PM.jpg
php8VK3i1PM.jpg (22.61 KiB) Viewed 8739 times
Last edited by or2az on Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Post by Ignatius » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:52 am

Oh, I'm late to the party...

Ōkami was an excelent game for PS2, and Wii. PS3 had an HD version remaster. You can find the game just as Okami. Is one one of the 2 games that Studio Clover, a mini studio of Capcom, made.

The other game was God Hand. A really lame looking game with a bit weird control for a beat'em up. It was not so lame, but actually had serious clipping that seemed even intended. The story was stupid, fun, absurd and full of clichés.

The game was really hard even on easy, fighting two enemies at once was sure death. It had a very customizable combat system which was pretty cool.

It had some good ideas, and some bad ones. It was the kind of game you needed to think thoroughly if you really wanted to buy. It was not for everyone. You can buy for PS3 as a PS2 classic (no remaster). It was a controller destroyer game (not as much as Devil May Cry, but close).

Right now is a cult game. (I actually own it, as I own Okami, both in PS2 and PS3)

By the way, Okami is also a cult game. It was literally awesome, visually stunning, incredible music, great controls, fun to play, good story... But as PS2 lacked some potency, it had a noticeable popping, you know, when things just emerge instanty in a 2 meter radius, and you can see them just because... The game was full of japanese folklore, the more you knew about the old legends and stories, the more you would be able to enjoy it.

If you never have seen the game in action, do yourself a favor and look for it (I would recommend two dreamcast games to look for videos too, Jet Set Radio and Power Stone 2)...

By the way, I watched Calimero when I was a kid.

I always thought the egg looked like a boiled egg ゆで卵/yude tamago, and writing 湯たま/yutama was a pun on the fact it was an boiled egg in an onsen, and about the concept of onsen egg...
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:47 pm

Since it has relatively few different sounds (syllables), the Japanese language has very many homophones (words which sound the same) that have completely different meanings even without adding any extra characters (to their Kana or English spellings). This gives excellent potential for puns, for example 狼 (Ōkami = wolf) vs 大神 (Ō Kami = great god).

The Ōkami game had a lovely concept and charming cel-shaded artwork - your primary task was to restore colour to the world, depicted in the style of traditional Japanese sumi-e (ink wash) paintings. I played it on PS2 but I guess on the Wii you would have the benefit of motion controls to make the various symbols with your character's magic brush. :)

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:43 pm

Barticle
Platinum Boarder
Platinum Boarder

Post by Barticle » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:19 pm

Now officially announced for December release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vekiiMbA-Zw

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Post by Ignatius » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:06 am

Cool. That's a great game, and now people on PC will be able to play it.
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.