Saki: Nationals Chapter

Whatever you want to share with your RM.com friends! Chat away!

Moderator: Shirluban

Ozball
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Saki: Nationals Chapter

Post by Ozball » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:46 am

For all you Saki fans out there, if you don't know yet the Nationals chapter of Saki stated screening in Japan last week (Monday the 6th). This is the third season and I think it currently has around 12 episodes scheduled.

Rejoice!
"Furiten is the most holiest!" - Garthe Nelson

Online Ranks
Tenhou Rating: Ozball - 1608 - 2nd dan

Old Ranks
MFC: オズボール - Seiryu (Blue Dragon) Master
MFC JPML Rank: 3rd kyu
Ron2 Rating: Ozball - 1335 League: Bronze

Kyuu
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Re: Saki: Nationals Chapter

Post by Kyuu » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:20 am

I plan to watch each episode at least 7 times each. :mrgreen:

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Post by Ignatius » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:33 am

I'm watching the anime with subs, and reading the manga in japanese (slowly).

The anime started with filler, but looks cool.
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

Iapetus
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Iapetus » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:03 pm

The anime did not start with filler or recap; the first 2 episodes were direct adaptations from the manga, starting where the anime left off. There were a couple filler scenes with some teams, but that's it.

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder
Location: (From Spain) In Ireland (EU) since 2016, so lazy I didn´t update this until 2019... (私は初心者だし、よろしく)

Post by Ignatius » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:27 pm

Oh, didn´t remember correctly, long time has passed since I´ve read those chapters.
Life is as beautiful as you want it to be, but it´s only one. That´s why you must not get tired of it. Don´t care if you don´t say something that seems "important" because your mere existence is important for someone.

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder

Post by Ignatius » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:30 pm

The filler parts are based on Sakibiyori or it's just my imagination?

Maybe is my imagination.,

Ozball
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Ozball » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:50 pm

I'm breaking one of my own anime watching rules with this series. I don't usually watch series' that are ongoing or if I do I watch them in batches (Eg I catch up with One Piece about once or twice a year) but I've broken down and am watching these Saki episodes as they come out T_T

Online Ranks

Old Ranks

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder

Post by Ignatius » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:50 pm

I llike this series, looks fun, and almost the same as original Saki or Achiga-hen. I wonder if they´ll do an anime of Shinohayu (another Saki spinoff). Or even Sakibiyori anime...

AyanamiSan
Fresh Reacher
Fresh Reacher

Post by AyanamiSan » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:31 pm

I love this series, hope it'll be as good as the first two ^^

btw. (altho i'm not sure if it's the right topic for such question, but it is related to saki ^^" )
What would you discard, given the last hand sown at the end of ep03?

i'd probably go with 4-dot hoping for sanshoku, possible tanyao and/or pinfu
it's quite early in the game tho, and iirc we didn't see what the dora is;

Ozball
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Ozball » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:41 pm

I'd probably go for the 8c since you're most likely not going to use the 6-crak 8-crak mentzu (meld) as the other ones are all ryanmen (double sided I think in english?). The Sanshoku idea is good. What my plan for the final hand would be this:

2-bam 3-bam 4-bam 2-dot 3-dot 4-dot 6-dot 7-dot 2-crak 3-crak 4-crak 8-bam 8-bam waiting on a 5-dot 8-dot. Gives you Sanshoku (2 closed), pinfu (1), tanyao (1) for at least 4 han, add a dora or reach and you have at least mangan. Note that a 3-dot 4-dot 5-dot 6-dot 7-dot wait would also be nice, but you're gambling on the sanshoku. It would all depend how the hand evolves though, it's in a reasonably nice ryan-shanten (two away from ready)

Online Ranks

Old Ranks

Iapetus
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Iapetus » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:02 am

I'd go with 8m. The only backfire from discarding it is the 7m: 4 tiles. At a glance, discarding 4p has also 4 tiles of backfire, 44p88s, but that's not the case. In fact, 1234m345678p8s ALL benefit more from 8m discard than from 4p discard. Some because you'll have to drop the 8m anyways now and are thus missing a potentially useful 4p; some because the choice is to drop the 8m or tsumogiri.

For example, drawing 4m:

2-crak 3-crak 4-crak 3-dot 4-dot 4-dot 6-dot 7-dot 2-bam 3-bam 4-bam 8-bam 8-bam
The extra 4p is giving support to the 34p shape. Sanshoku is not necessary; riichi tsumo tanyao (ippatsu, ura) as dealer is already good.

VS

2-crak 3-crak 4-crak 6-crak 3-dot 4-dot 6-dot 7-dot 2-bam 3-bam 4-bam 8-bam 8-bam
The extra 6m has no real purpose in the hand.

As a general rule: If you're 2-shanten with 5 taatsu 1 mentsu, it's better to break the worst taatsu than to weaken one of the stronger taatsus, because this leads to a better iishanten shape.

Ozball
Expert Reacher
Expert Reacher

Post by Ozball » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:41 pm

In regards to this week's episode (don't worry if you haven't seen it, there's no spoilers): Can someone confirm something for me? Are the nationals 2 Hanchan or 1 Hanchan at their current stage? I think Yuuki only played one but Mako seems to shift seats in this episode. She starts sitting across from Aiesling but in the final hand she's sitting to her right. I think they do play 2 Hanchan at some point but I thought it was only after the first few rounds were finished? (eg Quarters and up) Any thoughts?

Online Ranks

Old Ranks

Ignatius
Silver Boarder
Silver Boarder

Post by Ignatius » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:53 pm

As far as I know the rules are like the first series, 2 Hanchan each player. Maybe I should look the manga again to confirm it.

Iapetus
Senior Reacher
Senior Reacher

Post by Iapetus » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:54 pm

If you look carefully during the earlier part of the episode, you can see that Suzu and Shiromi switch places as well during the "70 minutes later" skip. All matches in the nationals are 2 hanchan per player for 10 hanchan total. Or actually, I can't find any evidence on the first round, but there's little reason to have a 5-hanchan match if they've got the whole day to play.